Contribute
Register

NVIDIA Releases Alternate Graphics Drivers for macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 (387.10.10.10.30)

Status
Not open for further replies.
FYI - To avoid "the black screen," make sure you revert to Lilu v1.2.2 & NvidiaGraphicsFixupv 1.2.4 when reverting back to *25.106. When I tried to use the unreleased kexts with the older driver, I got the black screen.
Did not have the problem with
Could someone (with a kind heart) explain what we have to do with those Lilu and NvidiaGraphicsFixup after we used the Benjamin Dowell script?. Cannot find a howto!.
Place/copy/paste/drag them in here:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-07 at 3.38.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-07 at 3.38.04 PM.png
    83 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:
Did not have the problem with

Place them in here:

Probably has something to do with using dual cards, using the ngfxsubmit=0 boot-argument I can get past it.

Apple broke (or sabotaged) eGPU support for NVIDIA in 10.13.4 - could be related to that. If it works on dual cards WITHOUT NvidiaGraphicsFixup (but with lag) could be related to v1.2.5 changes.
I tried throwing this Nvidia eGPU kext into EFI/Other and it booted up, single monitor only, with VESA graphics :lol:

I don't think there are any issues with using IGPU for Quick Sync.

Use Shiki.kext to fix iTunes crashes.

Shiki has no help in resolving the apple music segfaults. I complied it from source to match the latest lilu.

Apple broke (or sabotaged) eGPU support for NVIDIA in 10.13.4 - could be related to that. If it works on dual cards WITHOUT NvidiaGraphicsFixup (but with lag) could be related to v1.2.5 changes.
The only difference, that I can tell, in IOJones (Alternative to IORegistryExplorer) between 25.106 and 30.103 is the addition of
"attached-gpu-control-path" properties with 30.103.

Card 1:
card1.png

Card 2:
card2.png

attached-gpu-control-path is a service from AppleACPIPlatform.kext, which has something to do with PCI ports, so I tried every combo of PCIRootUID=0, PCIRootUID=1, npci=0x2000, and npci=0x3000 without any luck of getting OpenGL to work with dual cards. Same goes for 25.161 with NvidiaGraphicsFixup v1.2.5. Going back to 25.106 with my head hung in shame.

The only difference, that I can tell, in IOJones (Alternative to IORegistryExplorer) between 25.106 and 30.103 is the addition of
"attached-gpu-control-path" properties with 30.103.

Card 1:
View attachment 323913
Card 2:
View attachment 323914

attached-gpu-control-path is a service from AppleACPIPlatform.kext, which has something to do with PCI ports, so I tried every combo of PCIRootUID=0, PCIRootUID=1, npci=0x2000, and npci=0x3000 without any luck of getting OpenGL to work with dual cards. Same goes for 25.161 with NvidiaGraphicsFixup v1.2.5. Going back to 25.106 with my head hung in shame.
I feel your shame. o_O

NvidiaGraphicsFixUp 1.2.5 works flawlessly in my hardware.
No more stutter or freezing on the system.

I'm glad that someone really cares about it, 'cause Nvidia is letting me down a lot lately

I took a look at the files you posted. Some of the settings in your config.plist seem uncommon. I don't know if you used them because they are actually needed or if you misunderstood someone's instructions or followed a bad guide.

Here are the things that seemed "uncommon" to me in your config.plist:
  • In ACPI section, you have FixLAN enabled. Is this needed?
  • In ACPI section, you have Drop OEM_DSM for IntelGFX. Is this needed?
  • In Graphics section, you have ig-platform-id set correctly for Skylake, but I see in your profile that you have a GTX 1060. If you wish to use the HD 530 for Quick Sync, AirPlay, etc, you should set ig-platform-id to 19120001 and Inject Intel should be enabled.
  • In Kernel and Kext Patches section, you have the 15 port limit patch twice. You just need it once.
  • In SMBIOS section, you are using iMac14,2 system definition. iMac17,1 fits your hardware more closely.
  • In SMBIOS section, you have not completed setting up Serial, UUID, or Board Serial.
  • In SMBIOS section, you should disable Mobile and enable Trust.

I saw that you have your hackintosh kexts installed in both /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ and /Library/Extensions/. People far smarter, knowledgable, and experienced than myself recommend installing kexts in to /Library/Extensions/ with the exception of FakeSMC.kext which should be in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/.

That being said, I have adapted the approach of keeping all my hackintosh related kexts in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ for convenience and have not experienced any problems. This is just my personal experience and YMMV. I do not want to start any debates about this subject. I'm just telling you what works for me.

I didn't look at what you have in /System/Library/Extensions/. There's just too much there. I'm just going to say that on a desktop, I don't know of any hackintosh related kexts that should be installed there.

Regarding your kexts:
  • You have XHCI-200-series-injector.kext installed. You are running a 100 series motherboard, so this is not needed.
  • FakeSMC.kext (and it's sensors) should be in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/.
  • Lilu.kext and its plugins work better in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ for me. It's up to you if you want to install them in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other or /Library/Extensions/. If you decide to install in /Library/Extensions/, it's advisable to also install LiluFriend.kext.
  • If/when you install kexts to /Library/Extensions/, you should use an app like KextBeast to install them.
  • If/when you install kexts to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/, you can just copy them over.

Lastly, I'm not a FCPX user, but based on what I've read, if you use FCPX a lot, it's strongly advised to go with an AMD video card. It just works better than Nvidia in FCPX. Period.

Recent releases of Nvidia web drivers have had some pretty serious issues with lag on many hackintoshes running on Skylake or newer hardware. If you do a search, you will easily find hundreds of posts on the topic. NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext version 1.2.5 incorporates workarounds (not fixes) that may circumvent the lag issues. Apparently, this works for some users but not all. You will have to test yourself to see if you are affected by the lag and if NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext works for you. I have not found any common denominators that give definitive indications on which systems are affect or which systems the NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext workarounds work.

I really appreciate the feedback PastryChef. I'm going to review this over the next few days and get it sorted out. As I had asked someone earlier, would you recommend fixing what I currently have or just do a new, clean install?

The other issue is investing more money into a new card. Especially since I can't return this one (beyond the refund period) and I like the fact that it works well with Adobe and Blender (with the OpenGL/CUDA).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back