Contribute
Register

NVIDIA Releases Alternate Graphics Drivers for macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 (387.10.10.10.25)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,
I spent literally hours of installing and uninstalling nvidia drivers after the update, using many methods in this forum (SIP on off, different kexts, whatever i found on tonymac), finally find only way that (in my case) let me pass the black screen and boot system with graphic acceleration. I have SMBIOS 18,3. Here are the steps i did:

Boot to recovery, run terminal, use this
Code:
cd /Volumes/yourHSdiskname/System/Library/Extensions/
rm -R GeF*.*
cd /Volumes/yourHSdiskname/Library/Extensions/
rm -R GeF*.* NVDA*.*
cd /Volumes/yourHSdiskname/
touch ./Library/Extensions/ ./System/Library/Extensions/

Boot to macOS
install webdriver.sh
run webdriver -r (not shure why, but without this step, I end up on black screen everytime)
run webdriver (to install .158 driver, whenever I tried to roll back to previos version, black screen on boot)
do not restart just yet
download and run AGDPfix from PikeRAlpha
even if it says patch has already been applied, repatch (otherwise i get my favourite blackscreen on boot)
reboot

Its a little laggy on my coffee lake build, but since it doesnt end up on black screen, i dont give a ****...its still very usable

iFrodo has been perpetuating this myth of the NVIDIA lag being related to SIP.

No, that is wrong, I never say that. I said:

1) I had to enable SIP to install .156 correctly and working on my setup (otherwise I got backscreen with loader at boot). And my report helped several other users that were stuck with the same non-booting blackscreen/spinner situation (which is a total different issue than the lags one), who were able to make .156 working on their setup follwoing my instructions (uninstall old driver, enable SIP, install new driver with SIP enabled), of course those who had setup that can provoke lags had lags even installing with SIP, because as I said it's a totally different issue which my instructions never claimed to fix (they were just meant to help to fix the non-booting system with blackscreen and infinite spinner issue, not the lags one).

2) Disabling SIP is not necessary and everything necessary for a Hackintosh can be done using Clover Kexts injection/patching. Also I said that the main benefit of using Clover and not altering macOS at all (being to install/patch Kexts or by disabling SIP) is that it allows to keep a fully clean and vanilla macOS install that can be cloned/backed-up on any computer, being real Macs or Hackintoshes, and I also said that it indeed increase security (yes, even on Hackintosh), even if (you think) it's minimal.

I never said that it would solve the lags. I just reported that in my case it made the .156 version install and work correctly, meaning pass the non booting state / black screen.

About lags what I said, and I stand by it, is that it seems that it happens when the driver think the GPU is a eGPU and so in setup combination not existing in real Macs without eGPU (ex: Skylake + NVidia, no real Mac come in such a combination of hardware out of the box). This explains why the lags observed are shared with eGPU users on real Macs. It just seems NVidia has started to implement experimental eGPU specific support that is apparently very unstable for now.

Last edited:
Even installed and enable it in config.plist BUT can't still use it!!??

Attachments

• config.plist.zip
    1.8 KB · Views: 77
  • Screen Shot 2018-02-28 at 17.05.25.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-28 at 17.05.25.png
    102.3 KB · Views: 282
The update was laggy so used Benjanim Dobell's script to revert to .106 driver here too - back to normal

Cheers Benjanim!

6770k + 1080ti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back