Contribute
Register

NVIDIA Releases Alternate Graphics Drivers for macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 (387.10.10.10.25)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So other boards should be able to use the latest Nvidia drivers, no problem? Where did you find that it only affects these boards in specific? (I don't see a mention of that elsewhere in these replies.)

Sunrise point/union point

So Intel 87/97, Lynx Point, are fine? They don't even exhibit the stuttering? I'm just really curious before I pull the trigger on getting a GT1030/P600 for my Q87 and H97 hacks. Otherwise I'll go with an RX550 if it easier, they're just not in stock anywhere.

I don't see a mention of that elsewhere in these replies.
It has been mentioned and you can read the hardware in users' profiles.
So Intel 87/97, Lynx Point, are fine?
The 387 driver is broken on Skylake+ (100 through 300 series) - use the 378 driver for these systems.

Your CSR value is ok. Unless you are seeing errors when rebuilding the prelinked kernel the problem might be unrelated to the caches - could be either the Nvidia driver isn't starting, or it is starting and the login window isn't working. Double check EmuVariableEFI setup/nvda_drv variable/NvidiaWeb true in config plist, note that using the Clover entry menu and booting without the nvidia driver option checked will clear nvda_drv=1 from NVRAM. You should see 'NVDAStartup: Web' in the console messages if the driver is starting.

Thanks for your grate help @vulgo,

The problem is not related to webdriver:

- After installing 387.10.10.10.25.104 with webdriver
- It turns out that the machine was not stuck.
- I could ssh successfully into the server.
- I have checked the nvda_drv/1 and NvidiaWeb/true while being in the headless mode.

The only way that made the machine bootable on GUI again under 10.13.3 is:

1. completely uninstall the alternative drivers using the official uninstaller (or webdriver)

2. reboot with NvidiaWeb disabled and CsrActiveConfig = 0x00

3. install NVIDIA alternative drivers 387.10.10.10.25.156 (10.13.3 compatible) using the official installer.

4. reboot with NvidiaWeb enabled and CsrActiveConfig = 0x67

Do you have any proposal on how to debug it?

Thanks again!!!

I'm on 8700K, High Sierra 10.13.3 (specs in my signature) and had the same graphics lag issue with web driver version 387.10.10.10.25.156. I managed to fix it by installing older web driver version: 378.10.10.10.25.104.

The way to install an older version of the web driver on a later version of MacOS is to first find the URL of the web driver and then use a command line tool called webdriver.sh to install it. You can download webdriver.sh from here or install it via homebrew. Nvidia has a page that lists web drivers per MacOS build version. In case of .104 on MacOS 10.13.3 (Build 17D47) you need to execute the following commands in Terminal:

sudo webdriver.sh -u https://images.nvidia.com/mac/pkg/378/WebDriver-378.10.10.10.25.104.pkg
sudo webdriver.sh -m 17D47

Once that's done, restart your computer.

If you already have a newer version of the web driver installed, you can use the tool to uninstall it like so:

sudo webdriver -r

And restart once it's done.

How to find your MacOS build number? Go to About this Mac -> System Report -> Software. You'll see it listed there under system version. It shows macOS 10.13.3 (17D47) in my case.

I did my first hackintosh with a fresh install of High Sierra 10.13.3.
I was also suffering from heavy lags with my GTX 960 using latest nvidia webdriver
I tried to downgrade using another tool i found on the forum in german language that wouldn't work after trying several older drivers.
However your solution using webdriver cli via brew worked at first try, thank you so much !

Do you have any proposal on how to debug it?

Thanks again!!!
It would appear that some display-related configuration becomes invalidated and the login window doesn't appear on the connected display. Couple of times i have experienced similar, once apparently caused by incomplete HDMI audio property injection (only injecting connector-type for connected displays) but was able to connect a monitor on a different port, once 'solved' by deleting monitor preferences for a single user account that was unable to log in. The common thing is a previously working configuration stops working, at some point the configuration becomes valid and after that things work as they did previously with no obvious changes made by the user e.g. some report logging in via remote screen and making minimal changes to display preferences e.g. arbitrary resolution change - enables normal login, or even no changes made and the next day 'just worked'.

The main motivation towards using a script to install the web drivers was to minimise variations in configuration between boots, by installing new drivers before OS update, not needing to enable SIP to allow the 3rd party Nvidia kexts to load (fresh installs) and to enable removal of macOS configuration files possibly related to this very issue (see /usr/local/webdriver.sh/uninstall.conf - by default the paths for monitor preferences are commented out (as most? of the time the issue doesn't present), there are other candidates for removal too, basically anything display config related, iographics, audio etc. that is cached or stored that might cause the login window to not appear). So in terms of bug finding you can control the uninstall/install process but how to reproduce the issue in the first place?

Last edited:
@vulgo , thanks for the very detailed reply!

I was not aware of the `/Users/*/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.windowserver*` files. However my computer boots on a login screen (requiring user name and password) and I am not sure which file it would read. I am still investigating what may be the problem.

In the meanwhile @bogdanw I used https://github.com/Benjamin-Dobell/nvidia-update . Is is not working as is. For me I had to run it with sudo (because the temp files have been created with root permission) and had to change a couple of commands (including the mktemp invocation). So I used 0x67 for my CsrActiveConfig and run the script as root. By inspecting the source I think it was doing the similar things as webdriver, the main difference is that the nvidia_update deconstructs the driver many the necessary changes to make it 'installable' and then reconstructs the pkg file and run the official installer from the command line.

And it works!!!

Thanks for the help!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back