Contribute
Register

NVIDIA Releases Alternate Graphics Drivers for macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 (387.10.10.10.25)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, I am not sure what you are doing, but for me the latest driver is working without issues.

Today I have upgraded from 10.12.6 (where I had NVIDIA driver installed and working) to 10.13.3. Here are the steps I did:

1. Updated Clover.
2. Mounted EFI partition, copied APFS.EFI, FakeSMC.kext to appropriate folders as explained in High Sierra upgrade instructions.
3. Also just in case copied Lilo.kext and NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext as suggested elsewhere.
3. Installed 10.13.3 update, system booted with default driver.
4. Opened NVIDIA Driver Manager and when it offered update (387.10.10.10.25.156), installed it and restarted.
5. Downloaded latest CUDA 387.128 driver and installed it.

Everything is working normally, no lag. Using NVIDIA Iray in DAZ Studio without issues.

Maybe the key is in the iMac model I am using for my build (Late 2013)? I see that others who have it working also have this iMac version set.

Make sure your Clover config has proper NVRAM emulation and WebDriver flag set or your driver may not even be loading hence lag with default driver.

Here is my SIP configuration:
Code:
System Integrity Protection status: enabled (Custom Configuration).

Configuration:
    Apple Internal: disabled
    Kext Signing: disabled
    Filesystem Protections: disabled
    Debugging Restrictions: enabled
    DTrace Restrictions: enabled
    NVRAM Protections: enabled
    BaseSystem Verification: enabled

This is an unsupported configuration, likely to break in the future and leave your machine in an unknown state.
I might do a full enable later just to see if everything will still work afterwards.
Or maybe the CUDA driver is the answer?

Or maybe the CUDA driver is the answer?

I doubt it, CUDA driver is only used in select applications so it should not affect the base OS in any way.

I installed CUDA driver for the first time today because I wanted to try DAZ Studio on Mac. Regardless, before installing CUDA driver the GPU driver already worked without lag and issues for me.

The SIP "solution" would only make sense if any of NVIDIA kexts were unsigned. That's obviously not the case. They are loaded by MacOS, as you can see in verbose and System information - Extensions. So please stop promoting this nonsense.

What is the difference between these two scripts?

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /

And this:

sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel && sudo kextcache -system-caches

If I run the first command after installing nVidia driver ver. 106 using webdriver.sh, I cannot get back to macOS upon restart.

The SIP "solution" would only make sense if any of NVIDIA kexts were unsigned. That's obviously not the case. They are loaded by MacOS, as you can see in verbose and System information - Extensions. So please stop promoting this nonsense.

Yes, it's quite strange! :confused:

What is the difference between these two scripts?

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /

And this:

sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel && sudo kextcache -system-caches

If I run the first command after installing nVidia driver ver. 106 using webdriver.sh, I cannot get back to macOS upon restart.
kextcache -u reads the attached plist from /usr/standalone on the specified volume, and updates those things if they are out of date.

Attachments

• bootcaches.plist
    3 KB · Views: 231
The key is not just to install .156 with SIP enabled, I also tried this before, without uninstalling existing driver, and it didn't work.

The key is:

1) To uninstall existing driver completely. To be sure to not leave anything, first uninstall using the official uninstaller, than check that there is no Nvda*, GeForce* files in /Library/Extensions, and no GeForce*Web* files in /System/Library/Extensions:

A little commands listing to ensure all is removed correctly (do not type the leading $, it's just to indicate the start of command prompt):

Code:
$ cd /Library/Extensions
$ sudo rm -rf GeForce*
$ sudo rm -rf NVDA*
$ sudo touch .
$ cd /System/Library/Extensions
$ sudo rm -rf GeForce*Web*
$ sudo touch .

2) Reboot unchecking NVidiaWeb option (just in case) in Clover and setting CsrActiveConfig to 0x0. You should boot in VESA unaccelerated mode.

After boot check in Terminal that SIP in indeed enabled (do not type the leading $, it's just to indicate the start of command prompt):

Code:
$ csrutil status                                                                                                               
System Integrity Protection status: enabled.

If it returns enabled without any other warning, then it's OK.

3) Install new .156 Web driver normally with the official unmodified NVidia installer.

4) Don't click "Restart" at the end, keep the installer window open and go to "System Preferences -> Security and Privacy" settings pane.

Wait approximatively 30 secs and check that there is no approval request for NVidia Corp kernel extensions. If it's the case, approve it.

5) Reboot.
6) On Clover options, keep SIP enabled for first boot (so CsrActiveConfig set to 0x0) and make sure NVidiaWeb option is checked.
7) Verify that the driver is working completely with full acceleration and no lags.

At this point, you can disable SIP again if you want (even though it should not be necessary, all hackintosh necessary kexts (even for audio, for example with VoodooHDA or similar kext) and patches can be managed by Clover directly and Clover kext injection and patch mechanisms are SIP compatible).

Outstanding! Following this and removing nvda_drv=1 from my boot arg allowed me get past the black screen issue. Still using .156 with no lag and full acceleration. Thanks so much @iFrodo !

could this be an issue for people without native nvram?
because i cant boot with sip enabled, without nvram and kexts ticked
i also have to use emuvariableuefi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back