Contribute
Register

NVIDIA Releases Alternate Graphics Drivers for macOS High Sierra 10.13.2 (378.10.10.10.25)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we still need lilu + nvidiagraphicsfixup to fix the black screen issue or should it just work normally now?
From NvidiaGraphicsFixup FAQ:
  • How to properly choose a mac model?
    If you have Ivy Bridge or Haswell CPU you should go with iMac13,2 or iMac14,2. Otherwise choose the model you prefer, but keep this in mind:
    • If you have Intel GPU, especially if Ivy Bridge or newer, choose the model (by board-id) that has forceOfflineRenderer set to YES (true) in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleGVA.framework/Versions/A/Info.plist.
    • Models other than iMac13,2 and iMac14,2 require patches, which are though normally automated in NvidiaGraphicsFixup (see below)
    • CPUs newer than Haswell require Shiki patches for hardware video decoding (see below).

I have High Sierra working with a GTX 1050 but without using, Emulated NVRAM, if it works do I need to go back and enable this?

My only side effect is unexplained hangs (looks like they happen under heavy load only) that I didn't have on a Sierra installation. Unsure if it related.

Screenshot 2017-12-11 21.48.13.png Screenshot 2017-12-11 21.48.22.png

I have High Sierra working with a GTX 1050 but without using, Emulated NVRAM, if it works do I need to go back and enable this?...
No, but if you have a motherboard BIOS update in the future you may lose NVRAM support (as several of us have found out). So, remember this solution for losing NVRAM support.

I get the same problem I had with the previews drivers. While rendering in Blender and surfing on Chrome or even checking emails everything slows down, and I get constant freezes. x2 980Ti

Here's a question. Well, two, actually:

1. I'm running 378.10.10.10.20.109 on my High Sierra 10.13.1 installation. I see that there are at least two subsequent versions, with 378.10.10.10.25.103 being the latest. Since these versions have been available for some time, why does the NVIDIA control panel tell me that no updates are available?

2. Are these updates backwards compatible? That is, can I install the latest driver _before_ updating to High Sierra 10.13.2, and skip the whole "stuck at 1080p" thing after the OS update? Or will installing the x.103 driver bork my existing graphics?

Here's a question. Well, two, actually:

1. I'm running 378.10.10.10.20.109 on my High Sierra 10.13.1 installation. I see that there are at least two subsequent versions, with 378.10.10.10.25.103 being the latest. Since these versions have been available for some time, why does the NVIDIA control panel tell me that no updates are available?
For reasons only known to Apple, Apple's build numbers are different for the regular 10.13.2 update and the 10.13.2 Combo Update. Thus, Nvidia had to release an update for each.

2. Are these updates backwards compatible? That is, can I install the latest driver _before_ updating to High Sierra 10.13.2, and skip the whole "stuck at 1080p" thing after the OS update? Or will installing the x.103 driver bork my existing graphics?
None of the Nvidia are backward compatible. Nvidia has coded into the drivers to work only on specific macOS build numbers which is why tonymacx86 created the Downloads > NVIDIA drivers section (top of this page, on the right).

Do you change security permissions to install this version like before or can you just upgrade?

I get the same problem I had with the previews drivers. While rendering in Blender and surfing on Chrome or even checking emails everything slows down, and I get constant freezes. x2 980Ti

When did it start?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back