Contribute
Register

NVIDIA Releases Alternate Graphics Drivers for macOS High Sierra 10.13.1 (378.10.10.10.20)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello I need help! I have a gigabyte geforce 1050 TI 4GB graphics card that I want to install with the Nvidia driver but don't know how. I've followed the instructions and have changed the config.plist with the edits you've suggested but no luck in seeing the Nvidia web driver or graphics card. Here is my config.plist
Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• config.plist
    18.5 KB · Views: 310
I hope they release update soon... finger crossed

dito -- now running OSX standard driver (1280x1024) on an 34" WideScreen ... god save my eyes :)

I successfully edited the NVDAStartupWeb.kext to allow 378.10.10.10.20.107 to work with build 17B1003 on my MSI Carbon build (see signature below) without using the script. I suggest making a good system backup before you try this just in case. I know this looks like a lot of steps, but it really isn't that difficult if you follow it step by step.

You will need XCode or another good plist editor for this procedure. I DO NOT recommend using TextEdit for this, as it can be unreliable.

1. Open a finder window

2. Choose Go> Computer from the Go menu

3. Navigate to "Your startup drive" > Library > Extensions > NVDAStartupWeb.kext

4. Copy this kext to the desktop

5. Create a folder on the desktop called "Old Kexts" and place another copy of NVDAStartupWeb.kext into it (Just for your peace of mind)

6. Right click on the NVDAStartupWeb.kext that is on the desktop and choose "Show Package Contents"

7. In the contents, right click on "Info.plist" and choose "Get Info"

7. Click the lock at the bottom of the get info window and enter your administrator password

8. Change permissions for "Everyone" from "Read Only" to "Read & Write"

9. Click the lock again, and then close the get info window

10. Open the Info.plist with XCode (available free from Apple if your register as a developer) – note that you can use a different editor that works with plist files, but DO NOT use Text Edit

11. Navigate to IOKitPersonalities > NVDAStartup > NVDARequiredOS and change whatever is there to the current build number (17B1003 for this discussion)

XCode Edit.png

12. Choose "Save" from the file menu and then quit XCode

13. Drag the original Kext in the location Library > Extensions > NVDAStartupWeb.kext to the trash and empty the trash. You will need to enter your administrator password to allow this. Keep in mind you have a backup of this kext, and you can always reinstall the Nvidia drivers if everything goes wrong.

14. Download KextBeast from the index here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/resources/categories/tonymacx86-downloads.3/

15. Unzip the file and run the KextBeast installer for /Library/Extensions. The modified kext should still be on the desktop, so it should install it correctly.

16. Restart your computer

17. Open the Nvidia control panel. ***Important: Click the lock and enter your administrator password***, then change the control panel to use the Nvidia driver and restart the computer again.

That should do it, you should now be able to use the old driver until Nvidia posts and update.

Last edited:
I naively assumed that after applying the update and rebooting the supposedly compatible nVidia driver would install.
Wrong again.
The scripts did not work with a message that every command was not found.
The Nvidia control panel says there is no update available.
The manually downloaded driver says there is no updated driver for this version of OSX.
Any solution other than reverting to a pre-update clone?

Last edited:
So it looks like there are still issues with Apple's update. I have noticed two things:

• The security update keeps coming back and it increments the build number of the mac by 1 everytime. That is why, for some of you, the build number is 17B1002 and for others it is 17B1003.
  • The right thing to do is to only install the update once.
  • Nvidia has released new drivers for build 17B1002 but those won't work or install on 17B1003.
    • If you ended up at build 17B1003. You can change that in /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist . It is just a text file so it should not matter.
    • Alternatively, you can try using the scripts mentioned in #17 to re-enable NVidia graphics on a different build.

Edit: It looks like everyone is getting the 17B1003 update. Maybe cuz Apple ****ed up by touching networking permissions in the earlier update so they re-released it. I guess then only option is to install it, get to 17B1003, and use the script in #17 to make your cards work.

Last edited:
I naively assumed that after applying the update and rebooting the supposedly compatible nVidia driver would install.
Wrong again.
The scripts did not work with a message that every command was not found.
The Nvidia control panel says there is no update available.
The manually downloaded driver says there is no updated driver for this version of OSX.
Any solution other than reverting to a pre-update clone?

Try the procedure in my post above.

Here is a simple 1 line command to change the OS version in NVDAStartupWeb.kext

Code:
sudo /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Set :IOKitPersonalities:NVDAStartup:NVDARequiredOS 17B1003" /Library/Extensions/NVDAStartupWeb.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back