Contribute
Register

NVIDIA Releases Alternate Graphics Drivers for macOS High Sierra 10.13.1 (378.10.10.10.20)

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry for the unsolicited rant but the past day or 2 of hacking has got me all pissed off :)

sorry for the unsolicited rant but the past day or 2 of hacking has got me all pissed off :)
Oh, trust me I get it. Sierra was SO easy to install and the only hitch I had was the black screen fix, so that one is really old hat by now. But I've been at this for three whole afternoons (probably 15 hours). As for these being "pro level", they run extremely well for me, but you just have to always backup like crazy and before you do anything "new" (like this) make sure you aren't using your production machine. Honestly, these are so much beefier than most Macs for the money, I'm sticking with for now. But Apple sure threw us a curve with High Sierra. There are so few true step by step instructions all in one place, it can get frustrating piecing it together. If you have a blank drive sitting around, you might want to try this. 10.13.1 has been running really well for the last two hours. I've installed a ton of software and not so much as a blink out of it.

Maybe you can create your own AGDP 'Machines' dictionary and have an injector kext match on AGPMEnabler?
Well, truthfully, I have no idea what that is, so would probably not be able to. I've just put out enough fires trying to get these things to work for the last 10 years, that I can usually work my way through things eventually. To get back in after the black screen all I did was go to the "options" tab in the clover boot screen and make sure the NvidiaWeb drivers were unchecked. When I had Lilu.kext and the NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kexts installed, nothing really worked, even that. I wish I had read this thread and had your shell script first. I do have one (or two) question(s). What would be different if I just tried installing these with the drivers and then "fixing" the "config2" entry in the graphics policy info.plist and rebuilding the kext caches manually? Why is it necessary to enable SIP to install these?

Why is it necessary to enable SIP to install these?
I'm not sure it is, user-approved kernel extensions is new in 10.13, but unapproved kexts seem to load when the feature is turned off.
"fixing" the "config2" entry in the graphics policy info.plist
that fix is for displays getting powered off, the problem is independent of any 10.13/webdriver changes (and the same as in previous versions)
What would be different if I just tried installing these
With the right settings it shouldn't make any difference, the next update hopefully won't introduce any new problems

I'm not sure it is, user-approved kernel extensions is new in 10.13, but unapproved kexts seem to load when the feature is turned off.
that fix is for displays getting powered off, the problem is independent of any 10.13/webdriver changes (and the same as in previous versions)
With the right settings it shouldn't make any difference, the next update hopefully won't introduce any new problems
Thanks for the info and the script. That makes sense. There is a lot of frustration out there over these drivers and apparently a lot of misinformation to sift through which is the source of a lot of the frustration. Good to have a solid reference that works.

Last edited:
Hi guys.. can you help me? I try to install Nvidia web but something does not work. I follow step by step this guide but I don’t see my 1060 in nevidia control panel.
Thank you.

Hi guys.. can you help me? I try to install Nvidia web but something does not work. I follow step by step this guide but I don’t see my 1060 in nevidia control panel.
Thank you.
Does your card work? The script, as noted, does not install the control panel. But if the card is giving you high quality graphics, everything is okay.

Thank you.
When you boot to the Desktop and open the Nvidia Preference Pane, are the Nvida drivers "checked" or are the OSX drivers checked?

If the OSX drivers are checked, your motherboard's BIOS is not saving the NVRAM between boots. You need to see slim.jim's guide, Problem #6, for a solution > Solving NVIDIA Driver Install & Loading Problems, or you could run MultiBeast for High Sierra and just select the following:
Bootloaders > Clover UEFI Boot Mode + Emulated NVRAM​
The problem lies with ASUS latest BIOSs stopped saving NVRAM between reboots so you have to use the Clover capability to make sure NVRAM carries over between reboots.

When you boot to the Desktop and open the Nvidia Preference Pane, are the Nvida drivers "checked" or are the OSX drivers checked?

If the OSX drivers are checked, your motherboard's BIOS is not saving the NVRAM between boots. You need to see slim.jim's guide, Problem #6, for a solution > Solving NVIDIA Driver Install & Loading Problems, or you could run MultiBeast for High Sierra and just select the following:
Bootloaders > Clover UEFI Boot Mode + Emulated NVRAM​
The problem lies with ASUS latest BIOSs stopped saving NVRAM between reboots so you have to use the Clover capability to make sure NVRAM carries over between reboots.

There we go, it's my problem and I just solved following your link. Thank you so much Stork.

Hi guys, I spent a few hours trying to get Nvidia drivers working with my GTX 1060, Gigabyte H270M-DS3H, and Mac OS 10.13.1. Lots of trouble.
I used the standard MultiBeast 10.1.1 and UniBeast 8.1.0 method. The latest Nvidia drivers wouldn't work...
after lots of trial and error (nvda_drv=1, web drivers, etc - nothing working) just update Clover to the latest: https://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/
with standard things selected... and all works.

Basically a new version of this guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solving-nvidia-driver-install-loading-problems.161256/#Problem6

Though the newest Clover version has less options, just install it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back