Contribute
Register

NVIDIA Releases Alternate Graphics Drivers for macOS High Sierra 10.13.0 (378.10.10.10.15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the information. I've made a script that uninstalls previous web driver, downloads the driver package then tries to user-approve the kexts before installing and rebuilding the caches, hoping this might allow for clean installs without changing the SIP settings which is not really ideal. Credit to Pike R Alpha's for his documentation here.

Hey Vulgo,

Ok so I found a situation where I could use your script.

Not sure what number install this is but -

I install fresh again to an SSD. This time I used my same EFI but went through the Install with SIP Enabled 0x0.

Everything went fine, I turned on screen sharing and file sharing, then installed the latest web drivers (.120) and got the Gatekeeper warning. I allowed for that and rebooted.

No boot loop, my displays initialized but were blank. I was able to VNC in.
Everything looked good and after logging in my displays showed for a moment, long enough for me to set Use Separate Displays. They went blank again. Checked VNC yeah, it showed 2 displays there.

Thinking it may be something with booting with SIP enabled (0x0), i changed CSRActive Config to 0x67 -- same thing blank screens / VNC worked. I added NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext to kexts/other rebooted. Still those blank initialized displays. I rebooted a couple times going back and forth with 0x0 and 0x67 and ditched NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext. Then I rebooted again 0x67 same thing So, I ran your script sudo-ed (I noticed it downloaded .117) it said success - rebooted blank initialized screens.

Weird. This is practically the same way I installed before. The exception installing .120 from scratch and not having .117 on there first.

From VNC if I change my display settings to Mirrored - the displays activate. Then if I change to Separate the displays go blank and through VNC I go to a log in. I log in switch to Mirrored - displays activate. WTF. I think I am going to wipe and install again. Using the usual 0x67 then 0x0 to install web drivers. Maybe going with .117 first then .120. IDK fam.

UPDATE:

Ok so I installed fresh again with the same EFI using 0x67.

Then booted 0x0 to install .120 web drivers. So gatekeeper security warning and allowed. Continued with the install then changed back CSRActive Config and rebooted with 0x67 - initialized display but screens were blank.

I did not bother setting up screen sharing this time. I rebooted into a working Sierra and manually removed all the Nvidia Web drivers. That being anything in S/L/E L/E which had nvidia and or geforce with web references. Wow there were a lot. Two of the same ones. More than when installing .117.

Rebooted into High Sierra to make sure I could get in. I was in. Rebooted with 0x0. Installed Web drivers .117 (no Gatekeeper notification cause I already allowed them during the .120 install). Set CsrActive Config and rebooted with 0x67. All good displays were on but they were mirrored. Set to separate All good!

Something is up with the .120 drivers when installing fresh.

I rebooted again with 0x0, and used the Control Panel applet to install .120 rebooted with 0x67 . BOOM Displays for days!

Last edited:
Hey guys, I got a strange thing going on. If I change the desktop wallpaper on my primary display, it reverts back to the original one after reboot. This behavior follows the default display only. And it only happens if I choose a picture for the wall paper. It will "remember" Solid Colors.

I saw some articles about the desktop.plist but I do not have that. I also saw some articles where this happens if the wall paper is located on another drive, but it is not. It is on the High Sierra drive. Sorry if this is newb.

EDIT: Never mind. I had to create a "new desktop" for my primary display in Mission Control, change the wallpaper on that, then close the "original desktop". WTF. High Sierra is janky AF!

Last edited:
Then I rebooted again 0x67 same thing So, I ran your script sudo-ed (I noticed it downloaded .117) it said success - rebooted blank initialized screens.
Updated for .120 - just used it to update from .117

Attachments

• altnvweb-120.sh.zip
    1.5 KB · Views: 80
Updated for .120 - just used it to update from .117

Cool. But if you notice in the post, on the 2nd install under the EDIT section, I went from .120 to .117 without any problems removing the .120 web drivers manually. The original script sort of did the same thing. It removed the .120 drivers and put on .117.

Does the new script do more than just download the .120 drivers. I guess I should open it and see. XD

Last edited:
Ok so I installed fresh again with the same EFI using 0x67.
What is clear from your own installs is having SIP partially disabled the kexts don't get approved through the GUI. Unless 'Secure Kernel Extension Loading' is disabled i can't see how they can load at all that way, definitely some inconsistency going on with the CSR implementation. Noticed i don't seem to have the 'csr-data' NVRAM variable is mentioned here, maybe support for this variable is missing in Clover?
Wow there were a lot. Two of the same ones. More than when installing .117.
Not sure whats gone on there, the packages look very similar... Maybe Nvidia have fixed those glitches thats been reported by some users @ferencziakos

Noticed i don't seem to have the 'csr-data' NVRAM variable is mentioned here, maybe support for this variable is missing in Clover?[/USER]

I read that and didn't quite get all of it. Anyway, I am up for another fresh install then do the .120 which will bork then try your script.

Is there anything you want me to set during the install of the OS or the web driver install?

I read that and didn't quite get all of it. Anyway, I am up for another fresh install then do the .120 which will bork then try your script.

Is there anything you want me to set during the install of the OS or the web driver install?
Up to you, whether you have 'Allow Unapproved Kexts' or whatever it is called this week didn't seem to make a difference before. Also what you described with the screen mirroring was exactly the situation i was in when installing the first web driver version, cleaning HDMI audio properties solved it.

Up to you, whether you have 'Allow Unapproved Kexts' or whatever it is called this week didn't seem to make a difference before.

Ok so the usual. Install OS (0x67)
set up screen sharing
reboot (0x0)
install web drivers
reboot (0x67)
Should leave me at initialized blank displays. At that point I will run your script.

Ok so the usual. Install OS (0x67)
set up screen sharing
reboot (0x0)
install web drivers
reboot (0x67)
Should leave me at initialized blank displays. At that point I will run your script.
Also what you described with the screen mirroring was exactly the situation i was in when installing the first web driver version, cleaning HDMI audio properties solved it.
The above was an upgrade so the web drivers were already approved in the kext policy database (flags 0x8 for auto-approved, installed in 10.12?)

The above was an upgrade so the web drivers were already approved in the kext policy database (flags 0x8 for auto-approved, installed in 10.12?)

I am not sure how to clean HDMI audio properties. I inject VoodooHDA. I used to use Apple ALC / Lilu and Toledas HDMI SSDT for Nvidia, but with Toledas script, I had to use the DVI-D port and a DVI-D>HDMI adaptor on my Nvidia card for the HDMI to work. The other 2 ports on my card wouldn't do it. So, I got some analog speakers then realized AppleALC / Lilu could not do 5.1 over analog. So I got rid of all that and dropped VoodooHDA into Kexts>Other. No static and 5.1.

How do you clean HDMI audio properties?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back