Contribute
Register

NVIDIA Releases Alternate Graphics Drivers for macOS High Sierra 10.13.0 (378.10.10.10.15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It shouldn't need anything to be recognised, but from looking through EFI variable dumps i believe it saves some sort of configuration there. If that is true and for what purpose i cannot confirm.They save the variables on shutdown and Clover loads them back at boot.The two work together to emulate hardware NVRAM. Without the scripts nvram.plist will not change and variables will be the same every boot. Without the RC scripts and also without a plist, variables will be initialised every boot. Without the EFI driver, hardware NVRAM will be used if available.

Thanks a lot for the explanation!
I should be able to remove EmuVariableUefi-64.efi then without problems. Why it was necessary to get me out of the boot loop is still unclear, though. Maybe instead of adding the file resetting the NVRAM would have worked as well.

You might be right.

So when I remove EmuVariableUefi-64.efi I can no longer boot successfully. The system reboots when the progress bar is at 60%. In verbose mode it's so fast that I can't see what the last output is.

Maybe this is related to the nvda_drv NVRAM setting. Anyway, everything seems to work fine with EmuVariableUefi installed but not the RC scripts. I never installed them and the NVRAM still saves correctly across boots. I can see this because the computer name is saved correctly. Not sure what is going on here, but as long as it works it's fine for me.

EDIT:
NVRAM wasn't working correctly, I had to install the RC scripts (obviously!). See this thread: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/native-nvram-available.192920/

Apparently, ASUS boards supported native NVRAM in earlier BIOS versions, but not in newer ones. Because I'm using KabyLake on a 100-series board (Z170i Pro Gaming) I have to use the RC scripts and emulate NVRAM.

Last edited:
Weird... I updated to the supplemental update of High Sierra, and ended up in a boot-loop. I booted from my backup partition, and tried installing the updated Nvidia Driver on the updated system by using Pacifist. Still boot-loop.
Then I was going to remove the Nvidia driver, and just access the system through screen sharing(enabled screen sharing remotely through terminal), but to my surprise, after I removed the NVDAStartup.kext my system booted and was working perfectly(including full graphics support). So it seems the NVDAStartup.kext is no longer necessary.

So in short:
PROBLEM: Bootloop
SOLUTION: Remove NVDAStartup.kext

This is interesting. I am having very similar build as yours, but I never needed to remove NVDAStartup.kext. I am using 14,2 as my system, and I am using 1070 instead of 970.

So when I remove EmuVariableUefi-64.efi I can no longer boot successfully. The system reboots when the progress bar is at 60%. In verbose mode it's so fast that I can't see what the last output is.

Maybe this is related to the nvda_drv NVRAM setting. Anyway, everything seems to work fine with EmuVariableUefi installed but not the RC scripts. I never installed them and the NVRAM still saves correctly across boots. I can see this because the computer name is saved correctly. Not sure what is going on here, but as long as it works it's fine for me.
The driver configuration store isn't user visible at run time e.g with the nvram command. Some information form here:
Apple's EFI driver implementing this protocol, "AAPL,PathProperties", is a per-device key/value store which is populated by other EFI drivers. On macOS, these device properties are retrieved by the bootloader /usr/standalone/i386/boot.efi. The extension AppleACPIPlatform.kext subsequently merges them into the I/O Kit registry (see ioreg(8)) where they can be queried by other kernel extensions and user space.

These device properties contain vital information which cannot be obtained any other way (e.g. Thunderbolt Device ROM). EFI drivers also use them to communicate the current device state so that OS drivers can pick up where EFI drivers left (e.g. GPU mode setting).

What do the rc.scripts exactly do? Save NVRAM on shutdown and load them on boot?

Do not worry too much about these things if you are not interested to deep learn about them. If you are interested learn more deeply then you shall learn al to about Clover and related underlaying hardware/software. Fragmental knowledge wouldn't help you much. As your motherboard ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming comes with ASUS UEFI BIOS EZ, you need to figure out best BIOS settings to boot Clover on UEFI mode. For second you have to get properly patched DSTD for your system, and best settings for Clover, plus all related important kexts. So search web for hackintosh ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming + High Sierra or ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming + Sierra. Try to figure out best solution for your mobo and CPU and GPU. To use NVIDIA web drivers properly you have to install your comp properly first! This thread not the best place to search help how to install High Sierra properly on your comp.

This thread not the best place to search help how to install High Sierra properly on your comp.

Agreed. The methods listed here always include using Unibeast and Multibeast. Unibeast isn't so bad but even Rehab Man says he doesn't use it and why bother? With createinstallmedia and the full version of Clover available there is no need. Then there is Multi-beast which is like painting with a sledgehammer. Installing and patching 3rd party kexts in the system. Using build specific patches too. No wonder there is so much trouble when Beast users decide to upgrade.

Thanks, I just put that EmuVariableUEFI-64.efi in my Clover and It's working well now!

finally got it to work after 2 weeks of hardship. someone please help me with audio. i did fresh installation and cant get audio to work. need help please.

motherboard: Asus z170 pro gaming aura

thx

finally got it to work after 2 weeks of hardship. someone please help me with audio. i did fresh installation and cant get audio to work. need help please.

motherboard: Asus z170 pro gaming aura

thx

Please refer to this forum thread instead: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/audio-realtek-alc-applehda-guide.143757/

Basic procedure:
- Install SSDT-HDEF-HDAS-1.aml to make onboard sound discoverable (for 1xx-series boards)
- Restart
- Disable SIP
- Run toleda's cloverALC script to add patches for AppleHDA.kext
- Restart
- Run toleda's cloverALC_HDMI script to intsall NVIDIA-specific SSDT file
- Restart
- Onboard sound and GPU sound should now work
- Leave SIP disabled, otherwise sound doesn't work anymore
- Restart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back