Contribute
Register

NVIDIA Releases Alternate Graphics Drivers for macOS High Sierra 10.13.0 (378.10.10.10.15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
Please what do u mean by.

Don't forget to touch the extension folders as described

Please explain it to me

Thx
See post 2 @Stork this thread for installation.

After a million tries, i finally got it working. Kept getting the lockstate error.
Updating to the supplemental update for High Sierra broke everything again so currently in the process of redoing everything again... Will update then first and then install the latest version of the webdrivers. Will try using a different SMBios then as well, got it working with 18.3 but 17.1 would be more suitable for my system.

Ok so i'm up an running now with the supplemental update and SMBios 17.1. When using 17.1 i got the blackscreen and to be able to get it working with 17.1 i had to add Lilu.kext and NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext as described here under problem 4: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solving-nvidia-driver-install-loading-problems.161256/

Happily running now, although i'm already fearing the next High Sierra update..... On to getting audio and usb working.

EDIT
Looks like i just killed it by changing my refresh rates to 100 hertz which my screen does support...

I'f you're not getting the "approval warning" and you have SIP enabled during the install, do you have your security settings set to allow from "Anywhere"?

Perhaps you did sudo spctl --master-disable at some point?

I read this entire thread and some users claimed that if they had allow from anywhere and installed with SIP enabled it did not work. It had to be set so you would get the warning or else it wouldn't work. I never tested that though. And I don't understand how that would make a difference.
The warning in the installer is meaningless, it is generated in the preinstall script before the installation has even begun. Regarding the OS secure kernel extension loading dialog, in Apple's Technical Note TN2459 we can read that
Approval is automatically granted to third-party KEXTs that were already present when upgrading to macOS High Sierra.
and
Approved KEXTs are tracked in a system-wide policy database through the team identifier in the KEXT's code signature and the bundle identifier from the KEXT's Info.plist, so updating a KEXT that has already been approved will not trigger a new approval request.
and also
When a request is made to load a KEXT that the user has not yet approved, the load request is denied and macOS presents the alert...
In addition to these conditions if 'user approved kernel extensions' is disabled in CSR configuration the alert will not be shown as the extensions are allowed automatically. The feature has nothing to do with the allowed application sources in security preferences.
Updating to the supplemental update for High Sierra broke everything again so currently in the process of redoing everything again... Will update then first and then install the latest version of the webdrivers. Will try using a different SMBios then as well, got it working with 18.3 but 17.1 would be more suitable for my system.
The uninstall instructions in post #2 remove system nvidia kexts that probably make a system un-bootable when the web driver doesn't load e.g. after OS update

Last edited:
I think because of some SMBIOS Mac Modells (6, 15, 17) you will need at least nvidiawebfixup also with that way of install!

The uninstall instructions in post #2 remove system nvidia kexts that probably make a system un-bootable when the web driver doesn't load e.g. after OS update
I don't think i actually uninstalled at that point. I installed everything it was working fine, updated the OS with the idea that it would boot up properly but without the Nvidia drivers and that i then could update the Nvidia drivers. But it wouldn't boot at all anymore after updating the OS.

I don't think i actually uninstalled at that point. I installed everything it was working fine, updated the OS with the idea that it would boot up properly but without the Nvidia drivers and that i then could update the Nvidia drivers. But it wouldn't boot at all anymore after updating the OS.
Just an Idea but you might try removing your card and boot from Igpu with your Bios set to Igpu and then do the Nvidia driver package to enable your Gpu.

Just an Idea but you might try removing your card and boot from Igpu with your Bios set to Igpu and then do the Nvidia driver package to enable your Gpu.
Would love to try that, but i'm running a custom watercooled loop with hardline tubing, removing the card is quite some work :p

Would love to try that, but i'm running a custom watercooled loop with hardline tubing, removing the card is quite some work :p
Yeah, I understand. I have 2 cards in and it causes all kinds of hell with High Sierra. Mine is dead too on my 10.13 test ssd after trying supplemental update. My 10.12.6 ssd works fine. I'll be waiting for a point release before trying again.:)

Uninstall from recovery? As per post 2, with less chance of removing system bundles
Code:
cd "/Volumes/yourHSdiskname/System/Library/Extensions/"
rm -R GeF*Web*
cd "/Volumes/yourHSdiskname/Library/Extensions/"
rm -R GeF* NVDA*
cd "/Volumes/yourHSdiskname/"
sudo touch ./Library/Extensions/ ./System/Library/Extensions/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back