Contribute
Register

NVIDIA Releases Alternate Graphics Drivers for macOS High Sierra 10.13.0 (378.10.10.10.15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Managed to get the Nvidia drivers working for my 970 as per Stork's instructions in Post #2, experiencing graphical glitches that are bearable for now. I noticed that after installing other drivers (steel series mouse and waves audio) that they would only install correctly if SIP was enabled (0x0), and I click “allow” in security preferences. This left me in the unfortunate situation where enabling SIP would put me in a boot loop due to the Nvidia drivers breaking. The only workaround was to delete the Nvidia drivers via the USB installers Terminal feature, boot in, install all the other drivers then reinstall Nvidia drivers. Finally disabling SIP and rebooting.

If anyone has a better workaround for enabling sip to install other drivers without breaking graphics please share.

Thank you so much to everyone on this thread for getting me up and running :)

Managed to get the Nvidia drivers working for my 970 as per Stork's instructions in Post #2, experiencing graphical glitches that are bearable for now. I noticed that after installing other drivers (steel series mouse and waves audio) that they would only install correctly if SIP was enabled (0x0), and I click “allow” in security preferences. This left me in the unfortunate situation where enabling SIP would put me in a boot loop due to the Nvidia drivers breaking. The only workaround was to delete the Nvidia drivers via the USB installers Terminal feature, boot in, install all the other drivers then reinstall Nvidia drivers. Finally disabling SIP and rebooting.

If anyone has a better workaround for enabling sip to install other drivers without breaking graphics please share.

OMG, dude! After I done everything from Stork's post , my driver now working , thank you so much! I very happy right now, that instructions should be in the main 1# post.

Thanks. Bro! I finally got it to work after numerous fails and reinstall. I saw your post and and first thing I did was to mount my partition via EFI Mounter and change rt variables of csr config active to 0x0 and install Nvidia web driver. Then, before restarting I change value of csr config active to 0x67, and, Voila, it is working great. Thanks For The Help.

Video cards supported

Native...I mean supported by macOS Natively. without kext or webdriver
You can find them here: https://everymac.com, which Mac support which graphics card natively = used in their models. But you must seek only for High Sierra supported models. Of course, every model from apple supported High Sierra have native macOS kext supported build-in graphics cards for and only for that model. That is why all hackintoshers emulate models numbers for example iMac14,2, for example. You can't install hackintosh with old Nvidia GTX 650 with emulated iMac17,1 model because original iMac17,1 don't have this card, so you must emulate model iMac14,2 for this old GTX650 card if you want natively macOS kext be working, etc.

Last edited:
ok. after getting the Nvidia drivers loaded

set sip/csr to 0x2EF

then reboot and run the audio script
but type this before you reboot

sudo touch /Library/Extensions /System/Library/Extensions
sudo kextcache -u /

see my thread here, I have a pretty similar setup to you
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/success-6700k-1080-ti-asus-ranger-viii.233625/#post-1596358

Okay so I'm back in action (thanks Time Machine backup from Recovery Boot!). But I'm still a little leery about running the Toleda script again. I've followed your instructions up until running, "audio_cloverALC-130_v0.3.command" what specifically did you input for the script? Thanks!

Hi
Is there any list of all supported Video Cards ( NATIVE ) by Sierra and High Sierra ?
AMD and NVIDIA ?
I use more Adobe Apps ( Photoshop, Lightroom, etc ) more for photography...
What you sugest is best ? i need 10 bit ...for 32" 4k Display, 10 bit dispaly !!!

Most of the AMD cards do work, some may require little kext modifications to get native support as the OS has implemented them in code. Right now on nvidia side, only old Fermi based cards and maybe one or two Maxwell are supported. Anything else requires a Web driver which is not same as native. It tries its best to give its best performance but many things lack specially HW decode/encode. Since macs are optimised for OpenCL its based you choose a card for AMD. After 10.12.6 and with whatevergreen kext, things for AMD in hackintosh have changed quite lot, many work OOB. Look into Polaris GPUs. Also just keep in mind, some XFX cards need additional tweaking since XFX likes to modify their vBIOS, so just stay away from them. Gigabyte or Sapphire are best options.

Has anyone been able to get HW decode/encode to work with Pascal GPUs? Thought Metal 2 could have changed all that with support for eGPU, but I still find video playback or quicktime screen recording utilizing my CPU cores rather than my GPU.

OK I got it. Just like people are saying. Combine post 1 with post 2. What I forgot what to select "Yes" to Inject Kexts. But the procedure was disable SIP, reboot, install NVIDIA Drivers, enable sip, configure clover, reboot with PCIE as main display rather than iGPU. Thanks team.

Has anyone been able to get HW decode/encode to work with Pascal GPUs? Thought Metal 2 could have changed all that with support for eGPU, but I still find video playback or quicktime screen recording utilizing my CPU cores rather than my GPU.
Not yet. Via vit9696 in a GitHub comment we have this:

Starting with version 1.2.0 of NvidiaGraphicsFixup there will be several improvements for NVIDIA owners. Among them:

• builtin HDMI audio activation
  • builtin IOVARendererID injection (no need for iMac.kext)
  • builtin codesign override (no need for NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext)
At this moment you can only compile the driver on your own (requires you to recompile Lilu and all the plugins from the source code). Keep an eye on it once it is released. Among making the life easier with less kexts to use it might improve the situation with hardware video decoding for Pascal users, though likely with only Haswell/Broadwell CPUs.
Personally I'm not counting on getting GPU encode/decode working unless it becomes possible to make CUDA-enabled builds of FFmpeg under macOS like you can in Linux.

Last edited:
Starting with version 1.2.0 of NvidiaGraphicsFixup there will be several improvements for NVIDIA owners. Among them:

• builtin HDMI audio activation
  • builtin IOVARendererID injection (no need for iMac.kext)
  • builtin codesign override (no need for NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext)
This is does sound promising though. Frankly I wouldn't mind a connector less forward to my iGPU also in skylake, I believe it works fine for AMD with whatevergreen kext when using a similar setup. Guess gotta wait more:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back