Contribute
Register

NVIDIA Releases Alternate Graphics Drivers for macOS High Sierra 10.13.0 (378.10.10.10.15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know, I know. It doesn't make sense...But, it was the only solution I found that worked.

Nvidia's installer is flawed...that's the bottom line. So, you have to try things to make the installer to work. SIP enabled (0x0) works. But, note that, right after the installation, before rebooting, I turn the SIP "semi" off (0x3) as I described in the procedures in Post #2. Bottom line...Nvidia's installer is flawed.

Bit of a strange one. I think the Nvidia Web Drivers have problems. My only concern is that setting CsrActiveConfig to 0x0 may cause issues with Booting on first boot for some people.

I successfully installed HS already and I'm experiencing severe graphical issues. Resolution itself is fine--but there's no wallpaper, broken images (they just look like colorized noise), and just extreme flickering. With vanilla macOS installs in the past, I just add the bootflag GraphicsEnabler=Yes and everything is fully functional in terms of graphics.

I can boot into the system more usably at a bad resolution with nv_disable=1.

Would this possibly fix my problem? I'm running on a GeForce GT 620 (trash, I know--but for now it's all I've got). :)

GA-Z170X-UD5-TH
1080 Ti
17.1 iMac definitions
High Sierra Confirmed

Installed using Stork's instructions in Post #2 and did not have a message with “a window with a message like "The [...] kext is not signed and, in the Security and Privacy System Preference pane, you can approve its installation" (or something like that);”
Perhaps Nvidia updated the installer?

after I got to black screen after boot -> shared screen in from my Macbook and installed AGDPfix v.1.3 (you need change SIP to 0x67 for that, 0x3 won't cut it)
Updated audio using Toleda script and everything is back to normal.

Boot times are much longer than on Sierra - back then everything booted in a minute or so, now it is 3-5. Will see how stable it will fly :)

I tried this method - made it through the install - got the message - now when I go to boot I get maybe 60% there and then I get stuck in a reboot loop.

Any tips?
FakeSMC missing? All unsigned kexts from your system folders will be inactive at this point in post #2 method.

Guys really sorry if someone already posted that feedback somewhere in this thread but here it is:

I setup a successful fresh install of High Sierra with standard Clover, H270 Gaming 3 Mainboard, 6700 non-k, GeForce GT1030.

So I went through all the infos in the first post but somehow I always end up on one of two screens:
  • (verbode mode on) - some inifite loop with just 3 lines of text which reappear every x seconds or
  • white noise - like a very old TV without any signal.
What is also very weird to me: after installing the newest webdriver, no matter what I do, I can not boot into High Sierra again. I tried disabling all "video card injections", I tried nv_disable=1 ... nothing works.

Anybody already had these problems? especially the very weird white noise screen?

Note: There are some problems installing the initial Nvidia drivers (378.10.10.10.15.114) for High Sierra (HS). This was my solution to the kext install error and resulting black screen. In my initial HS installation, I did not add any other graphics kexts (e.g. Lilu.kext, Shiki.kext, NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext, etc).

Note: If you have the black screen and can't get into your HS system, then boot into the Recovery system. Then, from the top menu: Utility > Terminal. In the Terminal, remove the Nvidia drivers with the following Terminal commands:
Code:
cd /Volumes/yourHSdiskname/System/Library/Extensions/
rm -R GeF*.*
cd /Volumes/yourHSdiskname/Library/Extensions/
rm -R GeF*.* NVDA*.*
cd /Volumes/yourHSdiskname/
sudo touch ./Library/Extensions/ ./System/Library/Extensions/
Reboot. For some reason, the above breaks audio. So, if you can get along without it while trying the below procedure, I'll tell you how to regain audio below.

Installation

I am testing High Sierra on my Gene system with a NVMe and (temporary) a GTX 1060 with the SysDef iMac14,2. HS was easy to install (over a GM installation), but when I went to install the Nvidia drivers...well, I experience the problems you all have had. So, benefiting from your efforts, I successfully installed the drivers doing the following:

:ch: Mount the HS drive's EFI partition and change the SIP setting (CsrActiveConfig) from MultiBeast's default 0x3 to 0x0 which turns on SIP and save;

:ch: Make sure that the Security and Privacy System Preference pane General tab setting for "Allow apps downloaded from:" is set to "App Store and identified developers";

:ch: Reboot;

:ch: Once back to the Desktop, open the Security and Privacy System Preference pane and make sure the General tab is showing;

:ch: Start the Nividia install process;

:ch: During the installation, a window with a message like "The [...] kext is not signed and, in the Security and Privacy System Preference pane, you can approve its installation" (or something like that);

:ch: Once you approved the installation of that kext, the installer will complete and ask to your click on the "Restart" button...Don't do it yet;

:ch: In the Terminal, "touch" the two major kext directories:
Code:
sudo touch /Library/Extensions/ /System/Library/Extensions/

:ch: Now, mount the EFI partition and change the SIP (CsrActiveConfig) setting back to 0x3 and NvidiaWeb setting to "true";

:ch: Reboot;

:ch: The update "breaks" audio, so download and run toleda's audio_cloverALC-130.sh script from: GitHub - toleda/audio_CloverALC: OS X Realtek ALC onboard audio with Clover;

:ch: Reboot again.

You should be good to go! :thumbup:

Unfortunately, the GTX 1060 has worst glitching upon wake up from sleep then it did in Sierra. As a result, this problem caused me to reboot since the usual fixes couldn't be tried. :mad:

When I set CsrActiveConfig to 0x0 and reboot I can no longer use USB keyboard or mouse so the rest of the instructions cannot be followed. Any ideas? [Edit] <- Nevermind, it disabled all but one of the available ports but I was able to get through the install.

But now I still have black screen on boot despite installing with SIP enabled.

Last edited:
It works for me too.It can be the easy way to due with this issue.
What about the performance?
I used that way to install webdriver, but it is not as fluent as that in 10.12

Okay, trying to get a GTX 1060 up and running.

I’ve gone through Stork’s steps in post 2 twice. Both times I get stuck at the gIOLockState.

If I delete the boot argument nv_disable=1 then I’ll get in a reboot loop. If I don’t I get stuck in the gIOLockState loop.

HELP!

Other info - I’ve got a Samsung NVME as my boot disk so having some issues there and also this is my first rig/install so there is no previous system installed.

Someone point me in the right direction!

Thanks.

UPDATE: Not sure if this helps troubleshoot but I can’t startup and even get to the loop without the USB. So NVME alone - I got nada.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back