Contribute
Register

NVIDIA Releases Alternate Graphics Drivers for macOS High Sierra 10.13.0 (378.10.10.10.15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the problem mentioned here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/high-sierra-direct-update-stuck.232947/

But unlike the others on that thread, it happened to me after I installed the Nvidia Web Drivers on my freshly installed macOS High Sierra (yes, clean installation through usb). During the installation of nvidia drivers I've got advised, like others, by gatekeeper that some modifications were being made to the mac. I allowed the nvidia process in System settings and rebooted. After the reboot the loading bar loaded half way and then the spinning circle appeared, but it started overlapping itself until I wasn't able to tell if it was still spinning or not.

Luckily I have my time machine backup and another hard drive with sierra cloned on it, but I still want to fix this.

I also tried booting through the intel integrated GPU (enabled it from the bios and connected an HDMI cable to the mobo) but the problem persisted. So I tried deleting nvidia web drivers through terminal with the commands that were mentioned a few page before. Still had the problem. Now I am completely stuck and don't know what to do. Hopefully these problems with nvidia drivers will be sorted out asap so we can all enjoy High Sierra without wasting time and having headaches. (I wasted an entire afternoon on it :( )

Thank you in advance,
emanuelediba.

I'm in the same boat as you. I have installed and removed the Web Drivers twice.
I've tried everything suggested in this thread and still no joy.
High Sierra is running and booting unaccelerated No Problem. Web Drivers break the install everytime.
I've lost about a day troubleshooting to no avail.

Any help or ideas you come up with are appreciated.

everything loads, then the console is cleared, a block cursor appears at the top right corner and I see the following message:

IOConsoleUsers: time(0) 0->0, lin 0, llk 1,
IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs 0, now 0, sm 0x0

The screen is then periodically cleared and the same message appears over and over again.

Yep, happened to me yesterday. Perform the instrutions from previous page with the sudo touch command, see if that works. For me it did, also use the nvda_drv=1 flag, seems this is also influencing (supposedly it shoudn´t but it does for some reason) if macOS loads the "Official" apple one or the "web" one (you want the latter).

Could you give me more details please? I'm currently booting with nv_disable=1.

I would really like to boot into high sierra with accelerated grapichs.

I don't think I can help with more details, sorry. If I boot without ticking nv_disable=1 then the nvidia driver works just fine. All I did beforehand is to install the nvidia driver after upgrading to High Sierra. I have SIP disabled so I had to click "Continue" when the installer error message came up. I also have the nvda_drv=1 in my file based nvram since Sierra. I don't have any exotic stuff like Lilu, GraphicsFixUp or LibValFix.

So my problem is the opposite of yours, I can't boot to an unaccelerated desktop even if I want to (i am stuck with the overlapping spinning circle since installing the webdrivers), but I can boot to an accelerated desktop.

I totally agree, I also did no SIP "fiddling" whatsoever. Just completely undid the Sierra 10.12.6 web driver workaround also ensuring that AppleGraphicsControl.kext was the correct version for High Sierra 10.13, which is 3.16.19, and then did the usual web driver install thingy that applies to the 17.1 system definition I am using. as I memtioned "no problematic problems" whatsoever encountered.

Your Machine is very similar to mine and I'm completely hosed. Any chance you could be more specific on how you got the Web drivers working? What exactly does "usual web driver install thingy that applies to the 17.1 system definition" mean? I'm using 17.1 definition as well and desperately need a hand. Please and Thanks

My Mobo is an ASUS Maximus IX Hero with Z270 chipset, so is a 200 series one. Tried almost the same things as in your EFI (same kexts in Clover, same UEFI64 efi drivers, same other clover parameters), and still the same issue, it just restarts after attempting to load the graphic driver. Something is very wrong with this driver, as installing a vanilla HS is a breeze with no issues in my machine (I have installed it 6 times now, no issues to reach installer or anything). Just the Nvidia web driver break things apart badly and PC is not able to boot macOS at all. Really some fix should be released by Nvidia as I´m reading this is also happening on Mac Pros with GTX cards.
Hi,

I'm having the reboot problem as well on a clean install - you can recover without doing a reinstall:

1. Boot into recovery
2. Launch Terminal
3. mount -rw /
4. cd /Volumes/Macintosh SSD/Library/Extensions <(in my case)>
5. you can either remove the Nvidia extensions entirely with rm -rf GeForce* && rm -rf NVDA* or move them to another directory - I created a Library/ExtensionsDisabled and use mv to move them there
6. exit the terminal
7. Reboot - no more Nvidia related restart

Now how to fix the restart???

Something strange. After install Nvidia driver, when I want tu shutdown the computer, the system seem to stop ( screen is black) but the hardware doesn't shutdown .

Have you the same problem ?

Thanks

everything loads, then the console is cleared, a block cursor appears at the top right corner and I see the following message:

IOConsoleUsers: time(0) 0->0, lin 0, llk 1,
IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs 0, now 0, sm 0x0

The screen is then periodically cleared and the same message appears over and over again.

Dude I had this happen at some point during my High Sierra fiasco. What finally fixed it for me after that point was removing the web driver kexts and bundles from S/L/E L/E. Booting back in with SIP enabled installing the web driver allowing or the gatekeeper security that popped up, then I added nvda_drv=1 (I also had nvidia web enabled) and added NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext, injecting through Clover. Then I rebooted with SIP disabled. And I was good after that. I am not sure which part did it or if it will apply to everyone but it worked for me.

PS. Today, after installing some plug-ins HS just borked on reboot. So I am gonna reinstall again. This time with the noapfs option.

my god. after hours of troubleshooting, it finally worked.

none of the suggestions worked for me on here.

everyone kept saying AGDPFix didn't work, but it WORKED FOR ME

I have a 1080 GTX with i7 6700k with nvme

1. I updated via this guide: Update Directly to macOS High Sierra (APFS)
2. I downloaded NVIDIA web drivers
3. Installed, got an error, ignored it
4. Installed AGDPFix
5. Updated config.plist to insert NVIDIAWEB as discussed in OP
6. Reboot

WORKS. only gripe is that the loading times are a bit longer than usual. and my sound doesn't work yet

my god. after hours of troubleshooting, it finally worked.

none of the suggestions worked for me on here.

everyone kept saying AGDPFix didn't work, but it WORKED FOR ME

I have a 1080 GTX with i7 6700k with nvme

1. I updated via this guide: Update Directly to macOS High Sierra (APFS)
2. I downloaded NVIDIA web drivers
3. Installed, got an error, ignored it
4. Installed AGDPFix
5. Updated config.plist to insert NVIDIAWEB as discussed in OP
6. Reboot

WORKS. only gripe is that the loading times are a bit longer than usual. and my sound doesn't work yet
Thank you, you just gave me hope.

I failed miserably yesterday so reverted to Sierra. What version of AGDPFix are you using?

Hi

Nvidia driver install and work. But when I want to log out , I have a black screen

Thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back