Contribute
Register

NVIDIA Releases Alternate Graphics Drivers for macOS High Sierra 10.13.0 (378.10.10.10.15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phew, finally got it working. Just in case anyone has similar problems: the issue with the hanging and garbled screen at the 'legacy 2 shim' step was indeed caused by USB3. I didn't have any USB 2 port on my motherboard, but what worked (and what I must have done by accident earlier) is to have the USB stick pushed in part way. For backwards compatibility, USB ports and devices have the regular 4 contacts at the outer edge, then the USB3 contacts farther in the connector or port, so inserting it halfway forces it to USB2 mode.

The web drivers installed without a hitch the second time using Clicky's EFI files (thanks again!). This time I didn't touch SIP or anything, just ran the installer (it warned of a potential error at one point, but no Gatekeeper prompt), and it did sudo touch on /Library/Extensions/ and /System/Library/Extensions/ because I didn't see the harm in it.

Now just to get sound working...

Awesome! I didn't know about that USB trick. Loading VoodooHDA from Clover didn't get sound going? I used to use AppleALC/Lilu but too many issues when waking from sleep.

Is there someone who succeed to install the web drivers, who using a 16+ core CPU with HyperTreading enabled ?
I have submit a ticket at Nvidia customer care who take this serious on a level 2 technical support to find a solution..

But if this still not supported i'm gonna wait a time before before I gonna update to High Sierra..
Because I got finally a stable 10.12.6 system with a Xeon E5-2696 v4 + 2* GTX 1080Ti

I installed High Sierra as an upgrade. The NVIDIA web driver indicated that the present version was not compatible with the present OS and then it proceeded to download the new version. The initial installation resulted in an error code, which I ignored and then restarted the rig. My CSRactiveConfig was alway on 0x3, which I did not change during the install. Graphics is working great!

I installed High Sierra as an upgrade. The NVIDIA web driver indicated that the present version was not compatible with the present OS and then it proceeded to download the new version. The initial installation resulted in an error code, which I ignored and then restarted the rig. My CSRactiveConfig was alway on 0x3, which I did not change during the install. Graphics is working great!
Same thing happened and was working fine, Today I updated my BIOS from f6 to f20, my computer started to restart due to webdriver.

Same thing happened and was working fine, Today I updated my BIOS from f6 to f20, my computer started to restart due to webdriver.

Re-check your bios settings if not already done to see if they are correct. Updating a Bios will erase your previous settings.

Re-check your bios settings if not already done to see if they are correct. Updating a Bios will erase your previous settings.
tried all the optimal settings, no improvement, All I can do is login as single user and delete webdriver, then the I can boot in to it with out graphics accelerations.

I got my system up and running people. Just followed the steps carefully. Don't forget to add Nvidiaweb key as nvda_drv = 1 is not working.

Attachments

• Screen Shot .png
    Screen Shot .png
    102.2 KB · Views: 169
Some help for anyone having issues with the new Nvidia Web Drivers in High Sierra.
  1. Make sure you have some sort of backup.
  2. Ensure you have the latest version of Clover installed (you should have done this before installing High Sierra)
  3. If you have a separate machine - enable screen sharing/remote login in case High Sierra does boot up but with a display problem (e.g. black screen).
  4. Ensure you have either a bootable USB with the High Sierra installer available or a working recover partition selectable in the Clover boot menu. This will aid in troubleshooting.
  5. Check your EFI partition (subdirectories in "/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/") as well as "/Library/Extensions" and "/System/Library/Extensions" for any kext files that need updating. Ideally you should be doing this before you upgrade to High Sierra
    1. At the very least ensure you have the latest FakeSMC.kext available. Remove any duplicates/copies in the locations above and install the latest version (using KextWizard or similar) in "/System/Library/Extensions" as well copying it to "/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other"
    2. Temporarily remove any other kext files you rely on (e.g. Lilu.kext, Shiki.kext, NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext, FakeSMC_CPUSensors.kext, FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext, FakeSMC_LPCSensors.kext, etc, etc). This will make troubleshooting and isolating any issues easier.
  6. Reboot your system (still without the Nvidia Web Drivers installed) and check that you can successfully start High Sierra. You should expect to have no graphics acceleration at this point and a reduced resolution.
  7. Reboot again - however this time select "Options" in the Clover Boot Menu and enable SIP by deselecting the "Allow unsigned kext" option. Note that the "NVRAM access" and other options should remain checked to allow a successful boot (this assumes you started off with a "CsrActiveConfig" value of "0x67" in your clover config.plist). As pointed out in other posts enabling SIP is a new requirement in High Sierra to install the Nvidia Web Drivers without errors.
  8. Once High Sierra has successfully rebooted - install the Nvidia Web Drivers - either using the Nvidia Driver Manager or alternatively by directly downloading the package from the link provided in the first post of this forum.
  9. The installation should proceed successfully without any error messages being shown. Don't reboot when prompted.
  10. If you are using a iMac 14,2 SMBios definition you need not do anything else. If you are using a iMac 15 or iMac 17 SMBios definition - you will need the latest Lilu.kext, and NVWebDriverLibValFix installed in "/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other".
  11. Reboot. If all goes well High Sierra should now work with full graphics acceleration as well as high resolutions.
  12. Add your old kext files back to the EFI partition and "/System/Library/Extensions" one at a time - and reboot each time. It is rather laborious but it will help identifying any specific kext causing issues.
  13. Disable screen sharing/remote login if you had it enabled above.

If things go wrong:
  1. Check the boot and preboot logs available in "/EFI/CLOVER/misc" on the EFI partition.
  2. If you cannot access the EFI partition or file system mount your EFI/file system partition after booting either the USB or recovery partition and using Terminal and diskutil to mount the partition as required.
  3. If you get a "black screen", first check if you can connect via screen sharing (if you have a separate computer and assuming you have it disabled) before doing a hardware reset.
  4. If all else fails remove all non-essential 3rd party kext files from "/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/" - at a minimum only FakeSMC.kext is required.
  5. If you did install the Nvidia web drives and you ignored any errors - you can delete and revert to the "standard" graphics drivers by:
    1. Deleting all "NVDA*Web*.kext" and "GeForce*Web*.kext" files in "/System/Library/Extensions"
    2. Deleting all "GeForce*Web*.kext" files in /Library/Extensions

Some help for anyone having issues with the new Nvidia Web Drivers in High Sierra.
  1. Make sure you have some sort of backup.
  2. Ensure you have the latest version of Clover installed (you should have done this before installing High Sierra)
  3. If you have a separate machine - enable screen sharing/remote login in case High Sierra does boot up but with a display problem (e.g. black screen).
  4. Ensure you have either a bootable USB with the High Sierra installer available or a working recover partition selectable in the Clover boot menu. This will aid in troubleshooting.
  5. Check your EFI partition (subdirectories in "/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/") as well as "/Library/Extensions" and "/System/Library/Extensions" for any kext files that need updating. Ideally you should be doing this before you upgrade to High Sierra
    1. At the very least ensure you have the latest FakeSMC.kext available. Remove any duplicates/copies in the locations above and install the latest version (using KextWizard or similar) in "/System/Library/Extensions" as well copying it to "/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other"
    2. Temporarily remove any other kext files you rely on (e.g. Lilu.kext, Shiki.kext, NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext,
      FakeSMC*.kext, etc, etc). This will make troubleshooting any issues easier.
  6. Reboot your system (still without the Nvidia Web Drivers installed) and check that you can successfully start High Sierra. You should expect to have no graphics acceleration at this point and a reduced resolution.
  7. Reboot again - however this time select "Options" in the Clover Boot Menu and enable SIP by deselecting the "Allow unsigned kext" option. Note that the "NVRAM access" and other options should remain checked to allow a successful boot (this assumes you started off with a "CsrActiveConfig" value of "0x67" in your clover config.plist). As pointed out in other posts enabling SIP is a new requirement in High Sierra to install the Nvidia Web Drivers without errors.
  8. Once High Sierra has successfully rebooted - install the Nvidia Web Drivers - either using the Nvidia Driver Manager or alternatively by directly downloading the package from the link provided in the first post of this forum.
  9. The installation should proceed successfully without any error messages being shown. Don't reboot when prompted.
  10. If you are using a iMac 14,2 SMBios definition you need not do anything else. If you are using a iMac 15 or iMac 17 SMBios definition - you will need the latest Lilu.kext, and NVWebDriverLibValFix installed in "/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other".
  11. Reboot. If all goes well High Sierra should now work with full graphics acceleration as well as high resolutions.
  12. Add your old kext files back to the EFI partition and "/System/Library/Extensions" one at a time - and reboot each time. It is rather laborious but it will help identifying any specific kext causing issues.
  13. Disable screen sharing/remote login if you had it enabled above.

If things go wrong:
  1. Check the boot and preboot logs available in "/EFI/CLOVER/misc" on the EFI partition.
  2. If you cannot access the EFI partition or file system mount your EFI/file system partition after booting either the USB or recovery partition and using Terminal and diskutil to mount the partition as required.
  3. If you get a "black screen", first check if you can connect via screen sharing (if you have a separate computer and assuming you have it disabled) before doing a hardware reset.
  4. If all else fails remove all non-essential 3rd party kext files from "/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/" - at a minimum only FakeSMC.kext is required.
  5. If you did install the Nvidia web drives and you ignored any errors - you can delete and revert to the "standard" graphics drivers by:
    1. Deleting all "NVDA*Web*.kext" and "GeForce*Web*.kext" files in "/System/Library/Extensions"
    2. Deleting all "GeForce*Web*.kext" files in /Library/Extensions
Ok things have gone wrong:

I did install the Nvidia web drives and ignored any errors
My machine boots to the "black screen".
I did not enable screen sharing before I started.
I do have a real mac and can see the "disk share" of the Hackintosh on the network.
I do have a bootable Sierra clone from before the upgrade, but when I boot from it, my Samsung NVMe 10.13 drive doesn't show up.
I can also boot into the 10.13 Recovery Partition.

I'd like to delete the web drivers to revert to "standard" graphics.

I can see the 10.13 NVMe drive s/l/e and l/e on the Hack via a "disk share" on my MBP, but can't delete "NVDA*Web*.kext" etc. Because I don't have the required permissions.

What steps can I take to delete the web drivers given my current status?

Please and Thanks in Advance.

Last edited:
Ok things have gone wrong:

I did install the Nvidia web drives and ignored any errors
My machine boots to the "black screen".
I did not enable screen sharing before I started.
I do have a real mac and can see the "disk share" of the Hackintosh on the network.
I do have a bootable Sierra clone from before the upgrade, but when I boot from it, my Samsung NVMe 10.13 drive doesn't show up.
I can also boot into the 10.13 Recovery Partition.

I'd like to delete the web drivers to revert to "standard" graphics.

I can see the 10.13 NVMe drive s/l/e and l/e on the Hack via a "disk share" on my MBP, but can't delete "NVDA*Web*.kext" etc. Because I don't have the required permissions.

What steps can I take to delete the web drivers given my current status?

Please and Thanks in Advance.

Hi,
You probably won't have permissions as per disk sharing. You can try logging in as an administrative user instead of the default user.

Alternatively will either need to boot into recovery mode (if you have that option available in Clover) or alternatively with a High Sierra USB installer.

In both cases launch the Terminal from the menu option - and go to "/Library/Extensions/" and "/System/Library/Extensions" and delete the files as per point 5 in my list of things what to do if things go wrong. Once you reboot you should be back to the "default" High Sierra drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back