Contribute
Register

NVIDIA Releases Alternate Graphics Drivers for macOS High Sierra 10.13.0 (378.10.10.10.15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to pop in and say that one should be careful restoring from time machine backups. I did it after I finally got nv web drivers working; seemed that time machine placed the old, Sierra kexts into L/E and S/L/E. Clearing them out in recovery terminal allowed me to boot back in and reinstall the web drivers.

What motherboard do you have? Try the USB stick in a USB 2.0 port. It is definitely something with USB. It had a problem on 1 board and High Sierra, a Tuf z270 mark 1, but MSI, Other Asus 200s and gigabytes, it worked fine. And the z270 Mark 1 worked with it for Sierra. You could try this config.plist. Is is the same cept it has dropped tables. And of course, the BIOS settings.

Some BIOS Settings

—————————————

XHCI ENABLED

CSM OFF/DISABLED

Secure Boot Disabled / Other OS

VT-d Either way dart=0 is in the config.plist

SATA Controller Mode AHCI

Primary Graphics PEG or EGPU no IGPU

Control Lock Disabled

Serial Port Disabled

Super I/O Disabled (found mostly on Gigabyte boards)

I'm using a Gigabyte H270N-WIFI. All of the USB ports are actually labelled as USB3. Thing is I had it a working system earlier today using the same port I'm using now. When everything went bad after the web driver install, I tried to reformat the drive I installed the OS on to start fresh. I'm going to fiddle with it a bit longer tonight.

Just as an aside, nothing should persist outside of the install drive, correct? Anything that is being loaded onto 'NVRAM' is actually just going onto the EFI partition, right?

So is confirmed this happens as well with Macs and GTX cards? Then is something definitely Nvidia should fix , as this driver is a mess.
The driver is actually fine. what people don't understand is under 10.13, Window Server itself uses library validation. meaning your ENTIRE DESKTOP. and library validation fails if ANY kexts are modified. including hot patching and injecting. It seems things like LiLu are causing nvidia drivers to not be accepted and black screen unless you use libval hack to correct it. However as long as you have clean drivers that aren't being patched, hotpatched or injected, they work just fine. only thing wrong on nvidia's end is their installer throwing an error that means nothing. They should definitely fix the installer error. but driver itself works great if nothing is altering your kexts.

general rule with a hackintosh though is, assume your setup is not on the up and up and just plan to need to use fixes to make things work the way they are meant to. That's not nvidia's fault. they actually had to work hard rewriting their driver for 10.13 just to work AT ALL for macs let alone hacks, because of window server changes.

Last edited:
Phew, finally got it working. Just in case anyone has similar problems: the issue with the hanging and garbled screen at the 'legacy 2 shim' step was indeed caused by USB3. I didn't have any USB 2 port on my motherboard, but what worked (and what I must have done by accident earlier) is to have the USB stick pushed in part way. For backwards compatibility, USB ports and devices have the regular 4 contacts at the outer edge, then the USB3 contacts farther in the connector or port, so inserting it halfway forces it to USB2 mode.

The web drivers installed without a hitch the second time using Clicky's EFI files (thanks again!). This time I didn't touch SIP or anything, just ran the installer (it warned of a potential error at one point, but no Gatekeeper prompt), and it did sudo touch on /Library/Extensions/ and /System/Library/Extensions/ because I didn't see the harm in it.

Now just to get sound working...

in this thread I read a lot of people installed with SIP disabled
Yes, you don't need to turn on SIP to install the web driver, the problem is something else. Old kexts, patched kexts, unsigned kexts, 10.13-incompatible ACPI patching or property injection, are much more likely candidates IMO.

my set up:
iMac 15,1
h97-d3h
1060 6GB

i update directly using the guide and install NV web driver, and it failed, i then disable my 1060 using iGFX and fix audio using audio_cloverALC-130.command and then install NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext using terminal. Later on I delete NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext manually from /system/extension. And i actually installed NV web driver a few times but you can only install it with no error with SIP 0x0. After installing NV web driver with SIP 0x0 with no error and patch AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext using clover, the audio doesnt work again and i boot with SIP 0x3 to install the cloveralc 130 command. The command install NvidiaGraphicsFixUp and Lilu for me and now everything is working. I dont need NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext. The only thing now is my boot screen is glitch and boot time is really long.
Do anyone know how can i fix?

Attachments

• IMG_6208.jpg
    IMG_6208.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 160
  • IMG_6232.jpg
    IMG_6232.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 158
  • IMG_6234.jpg
    IMG_6234.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 166
  • IMG_6235.jpg
    IMG_6235.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 166
  • Screenshot 2017-09-28 14.35.43.png
    Screenshot 2017-09-28 14.35.43.png
    25.3 KB · Views: 188
Has apple documented any changes to how library validation works and/or what it considers a 'platform binary'?

The Metal/GL/etc nvidiaweb bundles don't seem to be signed any differently than the 10.12.x ones, yet they can apparently be loaded into processes that have the library validation flag set. So something must have changed.

I did notice that in ALL the graphics drivers, the plist key that lists the various bundles changed from 'CompanionBundles' to 'GPUCompanionBundles'. Possibly just cosmetic but I wonder if they've restructured things internally so the graphics bundles are loadable even if they are signed by 3rd parties? (A promising development for the future consumer eGPU offerings if so...)

The driver is actually fine. what people don't understand is under 10.13, Window Server itself uses library validation. meaning your ENTIRE DESKTOP. and library validation fails if ANY kexts are modified. including hot patching and injecting. It seems things like LiLu are causing nvidia drivers to not be accepted and black screen unless you use libval hack to correct it. However as long as you have clean drivers that aren't being patched, hotpatched or injected, they work just fine. only thing wrong on nvidia's end is their installer throwing an error that means nothing. They should definitely fix the installer error. but never itself works great if nothing is altering your kexts.

So got this working!!! OMG!!!!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 4.19.11 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 4.19.11 AM.png
    113.4 KB · Views: 309
  • Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 4.19.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 4.19.03 AM.png
    880.5 KB · Views: 288
Phew, finally got it working. Just in case anyone has similar problems: the issue with the hanging and garbled screen at the 'legacy 2 shim' step was indeed caused by USB3. I didn't have any USB 2 port on my motherboard, but what worked (and what I must have done by accident earlier) is to have the USB stick pushed in part way. For backwards compatibility, USB ports and devices have the regular 4 contacts at the outer edge, then the USB3 contacts farther in the connector or port, so inserting it halfway forces it to USB2 mode.

The web drivers installed without a hitch the second time using Clicky's EFI files (thanks again!). This time I didn't touch SIP or anything, just ran the installer (it warned of a potential error at one point, but no Gatekeeper prompt), and it did sudo touch on /Library/Extensions/ and /System/Library/Extensions/ because I didn't see the harm in it.

Now just to get sound working...

Awesome! I didn't know about that USB trick. Loading VoodooHDA from Clover didn't get sound going? I used to use AppleALC/Lilu but too many issues when waking from sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back