Contribute
Register

NVIDIA Releases Alternate Graphics Drivers for macOS High Sierra 10.13.0 (378.10.10.10.15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please refer to this forum thread instead: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/audio-realtek-alc-applehda-guide.143757/

Basic procedure:
- Install SSDT-HDEF-HDAS-1.aml to make onboard sound discoverable (for 1xx-series boards)
- Restart
- Disable SIP
- Run toleda's cloverALC script to add patches for AppleHDA.kext
- Restart
- Run toleda's cloverALC_HDMI script to intsall NVIDIA-specific SSDT file
- Restart
- Onboard sound and GPU sound should now work
- Leave SIP disabled, otherwise sound doesn't work anymore
- Restart

thx alot finally everything is working prefectly. thx once again

Note: There are some problems installing the initial Nvidia drivers (378.10.10.10.15.114) for High Sierra (HS). This was my solution to the kext install error and resulting black screen. In my initial HS installation, I did not add any other graphics kexts (e.g. Lilu.kext, Shiki.kext, NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext, etc).

Note: If you have the black screen and can't get into your HS system, then boot into the Recovery system. Then, from the top menu: Utility > Terminal. In the Terminal, remove the Nvidia drivers with the following Terminal commands:
Code:
cd /Volumes/yourHSdiskname/System/Library/Extensions/
rm -R GeF*.*
cd /Volumes/yourHSdiskname/Library/Extensions/
rm -R GeF*.* NVDA*.*
cd /Volumes/yourHSdiskname/
sudo touch ./Library/Extensions/ ./System/Library/Extensions/
Reboot. For some reason, the above breaks audio. So, if you can get along without it while trying the below procedure, I'll tell you how to regain audio below.

Installation

Note: If you have install the first High Sierra 10.13.0 build and have the Nvidia drivers installed, see Post #518 for the short method to update with the 10.13.0 Supplemental update. I believe that method will also work with any HS 10.13.0 installer dated Oct 05, 2017 and newer.

I am testing High Sierra on my Gene system with a NVMe and (temporary) a GTX 1060 with the SysDef iMac14,2. HS was easy to install (over a GM installation), but when I went to install the Nvidia drivers...well, I experience the problems you all have had. So, benefiting from your efforts, I successfully installed the drivers doing the following:

:ch: Mount the HS drive's EFI partition and change the SIP setting (CsrActiveConfig) from MultiBeast's default 0x3 to 0x0 which turns on SIP and save;

:ch: Make sure that the Security and Privacy System Preference pane General tab setting for "Allow apps downloaded from:" is set to "App Store and identified developers";

:ch: Reboot;

:ch: Once back to the Desktop, open the Security and Privacy System Preference pane and make sure the General tab is showing;

:ch: Start the Nividia install process;

:ch: During the installation, a window with a message like "The [...] kext is not signed and, in the Security and Privacy System Preference pane, you can approve its installation" (or something like that);

:ch: Once you approved the installation of that kext, the installer will complete and ask to your click on the "Restart" button...Don't do it yet;

:ch: In the Terminal, "touch" the two major kext directories:
Code:
sudo touch /Library/Extensions/ /System/Library/Extensions/

:ch: Now, mount the EFI partition and change the SIP (CsrActiveConfig) setting back to 0x3 and NvidiaWeb setting to "true";

:ch: The update "breaks" audio, so download and run toleda's audio_cloverALC-130.sh script from: GitHub - toleda/audio_CloverALC: OS X Realtek ALC onboard audio with Clover;

:ch: Reboot again.

You should be good to go! :thumbup:

Unfortunately, the GTX 1060 has worst glitching upon wake up from sleep then it did in Sierra. As a result, this problem caused me to reboot since the usual fixes couldn't be tried. :mad:
Followed exactly your guide, no big deal, black screen error occurs, system definition imac 17,1. tried AGDPfix patch too.

Last edited:
I found my graphics glitches to be in direct relation to not installing with SIP disabled. I couldn't get my system to boot with SIP enabled until I changed from osxoptiofix to osxoptiofix2, then following post 2. Now I have full acceleration and no glitiches!
Good luck!

Note: There are some problems installing the initial Nvidia drivers (378.10.10.10.15.114) for High Sierra (HS). This was my solution to the kext install error and resulting black screen. In my initial HS installation, I did not add any other graphics kexts (e.g. Lilu.kext, Shiki.kext, NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext, etc).

Note: If you have the black screen and can't get into your HS system, then boot into the Recovery system. Then, from the top menu: Utility > Terminal. In the Terminal, remove the Nvidia drivers with the following Terminal commands:
Code:
cd /Volumes/yourHSdiskname/System/Library/Extensions/
rm -R GeF*.*
cd /Volumes/yourHSdiskname/Library/Extensions/
rm -R GeF*.* NVDA*.*
cd /Volumes/yourHSdiskname/
sudo touch ./Library/Extensions/ ./System/Library/Extensions/
Reboot. For some reason, the above breaks audio. So, if you can get along without it while trying the below procedure, I'll tell you how to regain audio below.

Installation

Note: If you have install the first High Sierra 10.13.0 build and have the Nvidia drivers installed, see Post #518 for the short method to update with the 10.13.0 Supplemental update. I believe that method will also work with any HS 10.13.0 installer dated Oct 05, 2017 and newer.

I am testing High Sierra on my Gene system with a NVMe and (temporary) a GTX 1060 with the SysDef iMac14,2. HS was easy to install (over a GM installation), but when I went to install the Nvidia drivers...well, I experience the problems you all have had. So, benefiting from your efforts, I successfully installed the drivers doing the following:

:ch: Mount the HS drive's EFI partition and change the SIP setting (CsrActiveConfig) from MultiBeast's default 0x3 to 0x0 which turns on SIP and save;

:ch: Make sure that the Security and Privacy System Preference pane General tab setting for "Allow apps downloaded from:" is set to "App Store and identified developers";

:ch: Once back to the Desktop, open the Security and Privacy System Preference pane and make sure the General tab is showing;

:ch: Start the Nividia install process;

:ch: During the installation, a window with a message like "The [...] kext is not signed and, in the Security and Privacy System Preference pane, you can approve its installation" (or something like that);

:ch: Once you approved the installation of that kext, the installer will complete and ask to your click on the "Restart" button...Don't do it yet;

:ch: In the Terminal, "touch" the two major kext directories:
Code:
sudo touch /Library/Extensions/ /System/Library/Extensions/

:ch: Now, mount the EFI partition and change the SIP (CsrActiveConfig) setting back to 0x3 and NvidiaWeb setting to "true";

:ch: The update "breaks" audio, so download and run toleda's audio_cloverALC-130.sh script from: GitHub - toleda/audio_CloverALC: OS X Realtek ALC onboard audio with Clover;

:ch: Reboot again.

You should be good to go! :thumbup:

Unfortunately, the GTX 1060 has worst glitching upon wake up from sleep then it did in Sierra. As a result, this problem caused me to reboot since the usual fixes couldn't be tried. :mad:

Thank you @Stork!!
It worked!
As a newbie I had to find out I had to plug in my USB again to get to recover mode, then type the commands to remove the nvidia drivers (had to leave out "sudo" on the last command to make it work).
In Clover I did the 0x3 to 0x0 and back and now all is well.
Sound next...

Thank you @Stork!!
It worked!
As a newbie I had to find out I had to plug in my USB again to get to recover mode, then type the commands to remove the nvidia drivers (had to leave out "sudo" on the last command to make it work).
In Clover I did the 0x3 to 0x0 and back and now all is well.
Sound next...

Thanks for the info. Just trying to make sure I have the right Csr settings and I’m seeing conflicting recommendations. Can you clarify? Another poster says this:

“...Mount EFI partition and open Clover configuration file and set CsrActiveConfig to 0x0
4. Remove temporarily extra kexts, leave only minimal needed (FakeSMC.kext etc)
5. Add the most latest Lilu.kext with NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext
6. Reboot
7. Mount EFI partition and open Clover configuration file and set CsrActiveConfig to 0x67
8. Install Nvidia WebDriver and reboot.”

He’s suggesting starting driver the install with 0x67 while you say 0x0

Not sure which to do... running newest version of High Sierra.

Thanks for the info. Just trying to make sure I have the right Csr settings and I’m seeing conflicting recommendations. Can you clarify? Another poster says this:

“...Mount EFI partition and open Clover configuration file and set CsrActiveConfig to 0x0
4. Remove temporarily extra kexts, leave only minimal needed (FakeSMC.kext etc)
5. Add the most latest Lilu.kext with NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext
6. Reboot
7. Mount EFI partition and open Clover configuration file and set CsrActiveConfig to 0x67
8. Install Nvidia WebDriver and reboot.”

He’s suggesting starting driver the install with 0x67 while you say 0x0

Not sure which to do... running newest version of High Sierra.

Start install of web drivers while booted with 0x0> This is SIP enabled

NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext is only needed if you are using SMBIOS iMac 15,1 17,1 or Mac Pro 6,1. If your board doesn't have working NVRAM make sure you have EmuVariableUefi-64.efi in EFI>EFI>Clover>drivers64UEFI

If you installed the web drivers without SIP enabled prior, you may need NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext

Last edited:
@Scott1204

I followed the EXACT steps from Stork, I had failed at first and had to boot in recovery mode and type the commands in terminal, that's why I followed it step by step. Did not dare to try 0x67, used 0x3 where he told me to :)

My Lily and NvidiaGraphicsFixup files during NVIDIA install were from February 22nd. I just downloaded new ones for my audio install, that's why I remember the date.

Ugg, didn’t work for me. Followed the steps extacly. System wouldn’t boot.

The amount of hours I’ve put in trying to figure this out I could have earned enough to buy a regular Mac :banghead:

Stork mentions minimum kexts but others say to use Lilu and NvidiaFixup

I’m also using the latest nvidia driver not the one mentioned here.

At this point I’m just getting confused by conflicting posts and conflicting version numbers

Also, the version I’m installing doesn’t give me the kext error...just gives me a generic error.

Attachments

• BC616C4E-7CDC-4501-A760-0E8D98D2D6A7.jpeg
    BC616C4E-7CDC-4501-A760-0E8D98D2D6A7.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 207
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back