Contribute
Register

NVIDIA Releases Alternate Graphics Drivers for macOS High Sierra 10.13.0 (378.10.10.10.15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH
CPU
Core i7-7700K
Graphics
XFX SWFT 210 RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Has anyone been able to get HW decode/encode to work with Pascal GPUs? Thought Metal 2 could have changed all that with support for eGPU, but I still find video playback or quicktime screen recording utilizing my CPU cores rather than my GPU.
Not yet. Via vit9696 in a GitHub comment we have this:

Starting with version 1.2.0 of NvidiaGraphicsFixup there will be several improvements for NVIDIA owners. Among them:

• builtin HDMI audio activation
  • builtin IOVARendererID injection (no need for iMac.kext)
  • builtin codesign override (no need for NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext)
At this moment you can only compile the driver on your own (requires you to recompile Lilu and all the plugins from the source code). Keep an eye on it once it is released. Among making the life easier with less kexts to use it might improve the situation with hardware video decoding for Pascal users, though likely with only Haswell/Broadwell CPUs.
Personally I'm not counting on getting GPU encode/decode working unless it becomes possible to make CUDA-enabled builds of FFmpeg under macOS like you can in Linux.

Last edited:
Motherboard
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII GENE
CPU
i7 6700
Graphics
GTX 1070
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Starting with version 1.2.0 of NvidiaGraphicsFixup there will be several improvements for NVIDIA owners. Among them:

• builtin HDMI audio activation
  • builtin IOVARendererID injection (no need for iMac.kext)
  • builtin codesign override (no need for NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext)
This is does sound promising though. Frankly I wouldn't mind a connector less forward to my iGPU also in skylake, I believe it works fine for AMD with whatevergreen kext when using a similar setup. Guess gotta wait more:(

Motherboard
CPU
i7 6700
Graphics
GTX 1070
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thanks for great explination...
I have a Asus Radeon 6990 that i dont use right now... is there any chance so i can use this card ? and if not can u tell me best 3/5 cards from AMD that i shoud buy ? Now i have 1080 GTX in my hackintosh but i change it if i can use something better for better native suport and for what i do ( photo editing )
Thanks a lot !!!
I believe thats the dual-gpu card right? I am not certain, but do check in the AMD compatibility thread and see if anyone had success. For just photo editing, rx 460/560/550 are good inexpensive options. As many macbooks and even some imacs which are a favorite device for many photo retouchers, have that GPU and works fine with GPU accleration in OpenCL. Rx 480 is another good GPU if you looking for more power.

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-H170-Gaming 3 (rev. 1.1) (Bios: F22a) (Clover UEFI)
CPU
i5-6500
Graphics
GTX 1060
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Alright so, update on what finally worked for me to get my graphics card working.

I followed all the steps by in post #1 and #2 which were probably part of the solution, but the other things I did are as follows: (On a side note, I have no idea which of the following, if any, were what actually solved the issue for me, all I know is this combination is what finally caused it to work.)

I added Pike R. Alpha's AGDP fix to my config.plist
I followed Stork's instructions in post #2, BUT I actually used 0x67 for my CsrActiveConfig after installing instead of returning it to 0x3
I have NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext in CLOVER/kexts/other
I DO NOT have lilu.kext or NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext installed
I removed nvda_drv=1 and nv_disable=1 from my boot arguments in clover.
I'm running on SMBIOS iMac17,1.

As I said above, I'm not sure what actually fixed it for me, but I think I'm gonna do some testing and see if I can narrow it down. I'll report back if I find anything of importance.

Motherboard
Asus Strix 390-F
CPU
i9-9900kf
Graphics
Rx 570
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Okay so I'm back in action (thanks Time Machine backup from Recovery Boot!). But I'm still a little leery about running the Toleda script again. I've followed your instructions up until running, "audio_cloverALC-130_v0.3.command" what specifically did you input for the script? Thanks!
should clarify

after you successfully rebooted with nvidia drivers

mount efi

run toleda script

do the commands

reboot

Motherboard
Gigabyte B85M-D3H
CPU
Intel i5 4440
Graphics
Asus Strix Nvidia GTX 970
Alright so, update on what finally worked for me to get my graphics card working.

I followed all the steps by in post #1 and #2 which were probably part of the solution, but the other things I did are as follows: (On a side note, I have no idea which of the following, if any, were what actually solved the issue for me, all I know is this combination is what finally caused it to work.)

I added Pike R. Alpha's AGDP fix to my config.plist
I followed Stork's instructions in post #2, BUT I actually used 0x67 for my CsrActiveConfig after installing instead of returning it to 0x3
I have NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext in CLOVER/kexts/other
I DO NOT have lilu.kext or NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext installed
I removed nvda_drv=1 and nv_disable=1 from my boot arguments in clover.
I'm running on SMBIOS iMac17,1.

As I said above, I'm not sure what actually fixed it for me, but I think I'm gonna do some testing and see if I can narrow it down. I'll report back if I find anything of importance.

Yes bro i got it to work before installing nvidia driver changed csr config active to 0x0 and after installing driver before restarting i changed csr config active to 0x67 and then restarted and it is working perfectly.

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 5
CPU
i7 6700K
Graphics
GTX 980 Ti
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I was able to complete a fresh install (on NVME!) following the guide of FGRX8, even if I have a Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 and a 980Ti.
Worked like a charm!
I only need to install it again because I did some mess with the partitions and I don't like APFS... but this is another story :mrgreen:

Motherboard
CPU
i7 6700
Graphics
GTX 1070
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Yes 6990 is dual gpu ... not working...
What do u think about R9 290X 4gb
I saw it suport 4 k rezolution and i think is good for my tasks ... photo
a bit overkill...but do check 280x, many people have had success with it and use it for video editing hackintosh.

Motherboard
CPU
i7 6700
Graphics
GTX 1070
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I think i have that card ... R9 280X 3gb ... so in your opinion is good !?
yup..still good..

Motherboard
ASUS Z270-A Series
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
FINALLY, got it working, followed fgxr8's guide and cracked it! I think it was the bios setting for PEG that solved it. So anyone in the same boat as me make sure to set that setting. Thanks for everyones help.

Status
Not open for further replies.