Contribute
Register

NVIDIA Releases Alternate Graphics Drivers for macOS High Sierra 10.13.0 (378.10.10.10.15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI H81i
CPU
i5-4570
Graphics
RX 580
I tried this method - made it through the install - got the message - now when I go to boot I get maybe 60% there and then I get stuck in a reboot loop.

Any tips?
FakeSMC missing? All unsigned kexts from your system folders will be inactive at this point in post #2 method.

Motherboard
Gigabyte H270 Gaming3
CPU
i7 6700 non-k
Graphics
GT1030
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Guys really sorry if someone already posted that feedback somewhere in this thread but here it is:

I setup a successful fresh install of High Sierra with standard Clover, H270 Gaming 3 Mainboard, 6700 non-k, GeForce GT1030.

So I went through all the infos in the first post but somehow I always end up on one of two screens:
  • (verbode mode on) - some inifite loop with just 3 lines of text which reappear every x seconds or
  • white noise - like a very old TV without any signal.
What is also very weird to me: after installing the newest webdriver, no matter what I do, I can not boot into High Sierra again. I tried disabling all "video card injections", I tried nv_disable=1 ... nothing works.

Anybody already had these problems? especially the very weird white noise screen?

Motherboard
ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
RX 580
Note: There are some problems installing the initial Nvidia drivers (378.10.10.10.15.114) for High Sierra (HS). This was my solution to the kext install error and resulting black screen. In my initial HS installation, I did not add any other graphics kexts (e.g. Lilu.kext, Shiki.kext, NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext, etc).

Note: If you have the black screen and can't get into your HS system, then boot into the Recovery system. Then, from the top menu: Utility > Terminal. In the Terminal, remove the Nvidia drivers with the following Terminal commands:
Code:
cd /Volumes/yourHSdiskname/System/Library/Extensions/
rm -R GeF*.*
cd /Volumes/yourHSdiskname/Library/Extensions/
rm -R GeF*.* NVDA*.*
cd /Volumes/yourHSdiskname/
sudo touch ./Library/Extensions/ ./System/Library/Extensions/
Reboot. For some reason, the above breaks audio. So, if you can get along without it while trying the below procedure, I'll tell you how to regain audio below.

Installation

I am testing High Sierra on my Gene system with a NVMe and (temporary) a GTX 1060 with the SysDef iMac14,2. HS was easy to install (over a GM installation), but when I went to install the Nvidia drivers...well, I experience the problems you all have had. So, benefiting from your efforts, I successfully installed the drivers doing the following:

:ch: Mount the HS drive's EFI partition and change the SIP setting (CsrActiveConfig) from MultiBeast's default 0x3 to 0x0 which turns on SIP and save;

:ch: Make sure that the Security and Privacy System Preference pane General tab setting for "Allow apps downloaded from:" is set to "App Store and identified developers";

:ch: Reboot;

:ch: Once back to the Desktop, open the Security and Privacy System Preference pane and make sure the General tab is showing;

:ch: Start the Nividia install process;

:ch: During the installation, a window with a message like "The [...] kext is not signed and, in the Security and Privacy System Preference pane, you can approve its installation" (or something like that);

:ch: Once you approved the installation of that kext, the installer will complete and ask to your click on the "Restart" button...Don't do it yet;

:ch: In the Terminal, "touch" the two major kext directories:
Code:
sudo touch /Library/Extensions/ /System/Library/Extensions/

:ch: Now, mount the EFI partition and change the SIP (CsrActiveConfig) setting back to 0x3 and NvidiaWeb setting to "true";

:ch: Reboot;

:ch: The update "breaks" audio, so download and run toleda's audio_cloverALC-130.sh script from: GitHub - toleda/audio_CloverALC: OS X Realtek ALC onboard audio with Clover;

:ch: Reboot again.

You should be good to go! :thumbup:

Unfortunately, the GTX 1060 has worst glitching upon wake up from sleep then it did in Sierra. As a result, this problem caused me to reboot since the usual fixes couldn't be tried. :mad:

When I set CsrActiveConfig to 0x0 and reboot I can no longer use USB keyboard or mouse so the rest of the instructions cannot be followed. Any ideas? [Edit] <- Nevermind, it disabled all but one of the available ports but I was able to get through the install.

But now I still have black screen on boot despite installing with SIP enabled.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Asus Z-170A
CPU
Intel i7 6700K
Graphics
AMD RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
It works for me too.It can be the easy way to due with this issue.
What about the performance?
I used that way to install webdriver, but it is not as fluent as that in 10.12

Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z270X-UD5 1151
CPU
I7-7700K
Graphics
Sapphire Nitro RX 580 8 gb
Okay, trying to get a GTX 1060 up and running.

I’ve gone through Stork’s steps in post 2 twice. Both times I get stuck at the gIOLockState.

If I delete the boot argument nv_disable=1 then I’ll get in a reboot loop. If I don’t I get stuck in the gIOLockState loop.

HELP!

Other info - I’ve got a Samsung NVME as my boot disk so having some issues there and also this is my first rig/install so there is no previous system installed.

Someone point me in the right direction!

Thanks.

UPDATE: Not sure if this helps troubleshoot but I can’t startup and even get to the loop without the USB. So NVME alone - I got nada.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77 UD3H
CPU
I5 2500K
Graphics
GTX 980ti
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey I don't know if I should update... I have an 980ti and an 1050 would you say the process won't get easier or are you confident Nvidia updates the drivers soon and fixes the issues?

Motherboard
ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming
CPU
Intel i5-6500
Graphics
ASUS GTX970 Strix
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey I don't know if I should update... I have an 980ti and an 1050 would you say the process won't get easier or are you confident Nvidia updates the drivers soon and fixes the issues?

TBH I don't feel that it's an issue. I have now installed 2 other apps that require the same new permissions, namely the Inter Power Gadget and the Logitech Control Center. Both would not have worked had I had SIP disabled.
I guess we now need to have SIP enabled for all app installs.

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-GAMING 3
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
Sapphire Nitro RX 480 OC
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
I'm looking at the scripts in the nvidia package and the SIP check is a warning, hitting continue should allow everything to continue. It's not broken that I can see.

They're probably doing this check for a reason, it seems completely random to just add a check for SIP/kext signing being disabled.

I don't have a hack+nvidia right now to test, but my theory is this: the 'kext permission' feature doesn't play nicely with SIP being disabled or unsigned kexts being allowed. If you get the SIP error from the installer and continue, do you still get the macOS prompt about allowing the kext to be installed?

The kext permissions are tracked via the team id that signed the kext; one can see how tracking this might be problematic if there is a possibility that unsigned kexts might get mixed in. The combo of 'allow unsigned kexts' and 'use kext permissions' may just be an unsupported configuration.

Try setting the SIP flags so that unsigned kexts are allowed AND kext permissions are disabled.

Motherboard
GA-Z87X-UD5H Rev 1.0 16GB Kingston Hyper-X grey
CPU
Intel i7 4790k
Graphics
GTX970
Try setting the SIP flags so that unsigned kexts are allowed AND kext permissions are disabled.

OK. This looks worth a go. So can we set this in CC or via a config.plist edit? Or both?

If so what are the exact, precise settings I would need to use for "unsigned kexts are allowed" AND "kext permissions disabled" please?

Thanks in advance for any clarification, I've read so much, I'm starting to confuse myself! 8)

Amblin

Last edited:
Motherboard
ASUS H110M-D
CPU
i5-7400
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Upgraded from Sierra with no issue (dropped FakeSMC.kext and APFS.efi to either respective folders for boot/installation to happen). With an 18,2 SMBios and CsrActiveConfig 0x3 setup, installed the driver w/o serious security issues (just some unsigned(?) kext alerts)... then rebooted to an accelerated desktop.

Status
Not open for further replies.