Contribute
Register

NVIDIA Releases Alternate Graphics Drivers for 10.10.0 (343.01.01) with 'Maxwell' GeForce GTX 970 an

Status
Not open for further replies.
NVIDIA Releases Alternate Graphics Drivers for 10.10.0 (343.01.01f01) with 'Maxwell' GeForce GTX 970 and 980 Support

Hey guys,

Anyone have any idea why my clover 10.10 is defaulting to OS X after every reboot? I can toggle Nvidia fine, and when it sleeps its ok, but on restart it defaults.

I am using nvda_drv=1 and i have tried both InjectNvidia and leaving it unchecked.

Thanks in advance

NVIDIA Releases Alternate Graphics Drivers for 10.10.0 (343.01.01f01) with 'Maxwell' GeForce GTX 970 and 980 Support

Hey guys,

Anyone have any idea why my clover 10.10 is defaulting to OS X after every reboot? I can toggle Nvidia fine, and when it sleeps its ok, but on restart it defaults.

I am using nvda_drv=1 and i have tried both InjectNvidia and leaving it unchecked.

Thanks in advance

You mean you can't get the web driver choice to stick? I have the same problem. I chose it in the Nvidia panel, reboot, and ... OS X native driver is selected. Which isn't even supposed to support Maxwell... Go figure.

Here is my SMBIOS file

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>SMfamily</key>
<string>Mac Pro</string>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>MacPro3,1</string>
<key>SMboardproduct</key>
<string>Mac-F42C88C8</string>
<key>SMserial</key>
<string>G8814ZZ95J4</string>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>MultiBeast.tonymacx86.com</string>
</dict>
</plist>

I had big problems even getting the card detected, I then pressed the button on the main board to switch to BIOS #2 and suddenly the card showed up! I could remove HDMI cable from internal port to port on the card and booted into Yosemite. I was very surprised and extremely happy !! :)

Will take some photos of bios settings and post...

EDIT: Here are the my BIOS settings.

IMG_0598.jpg

IMG_0599.jpg

IMG_0600.jpg

IMG_0602.jpg

IMG_0603.jpg

With these settings my HDMI port is working. And the 970 card is working perfect on 3 screens (2 DVI + 1 HDMI)

Yep - my exact problem.

This is probably a stupid question, so please excuse my ignorance, but how would I go about upgrading my graphics card to a GTX970 if I don't have an integrated graphics chipset to fall back on when booting up.
Right now my rig has a 650ti which is natively supported, but i'm a 2011 socket board so no integrated graphics. So I'm assuming I won't be able to boot into Yosemite to install the new graphics drivers unless there's some way of booting both with the 650TI and the 970.

tldr; OS X won't boot with a GTX 970 unless the alternate graphics are installed right?

This is probably a stupid question, so please excuse my ignorance, but how would I go about upgrading my graphics card to a GTX970 if I don't have an integrated graphics chipset to fall back on when booting up.
Right now my rig has a 650ti which is natively supported, but i'm a 2011 socket board so no integrated graphics. So I'm assuming I won't be able to boot into Yosemite to install the new graphics drivers unless there's some way of booting both with the 650TI and the 970.

tldr; OS X won't boot with a GTX 970 unless the alternate graphics are installed right?

At the Chameleon boot screen, press any key, then type: nv_disable=1

That will boot you into a very low-resolution/"compatibility" mode, and from there you can download & install the Web drivers. Then follow the instructions on how to modify your org.chameleon.boot.plist once the Web drivers are installed:
Code:
[COLOR=#000000]<key>Kernel Flags</key>[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000]<string>kext-dev-mode=1 nvda_drv=1</string>[/COLOR]

Reboot. You should be good to go after that.
:headbang:

PS...that's exactly how I had to do it, as I have an X99-series motherboard (socket 2011 like you), and there is no integrated graphics (IGFX).

Great, will try when I get the card later. Thanks!

Great, will try when I get the card later. Thanks!

Double-check my previous post - made some edits to give you more info & help.
--B

I just had quite a scare after the update to 343.01.01f03.

After updating to version f03 I couldn't boot and was shown the prohibitory symbol when booting with clover. Interestingly, I could still boot using chimera. I downgraded the web driver and the issue disappeared. Version f02 works fine, must be some sort of conflict between f03 and clover??

Looks like I will be sticking with f02 for a while

Same thing here with Clover (Nvidia GTX 750 Ti). It worked after a few reboots but my system is less stable now. I downgraded to 343.01.01f01 and it's definitely better for me.

"What I did :

1. Clean install of Yosemite with Clover, without the video card.
2. Add nv_disable=1 in boot args
3. Connect the card
4. Reboot
4. Install the latest NVIDIA Web Drivers
5. Remove nv_disable=1, add nvda_drv=1
6. Reboot, but don't connect your screen to the video card yet.
7. Go into the bios and disable IGFX, select PCIe 1st slot as the first selection. This will enable the bios to be displayed on your main screen connected to the video card. Now you can connect your screen to the video card.
8. Boot into OSX, this will now be even faster than before :)"

I'm considering getting a gtx750 ti also, have you experienced the fans at full blast and no signal through HDMI on your clover install?

Absolutely not. It's really working great. Not a single noise from the fans and HDMI is working as expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back