Contribute
Register

NVIDIA Releases Alternate Graphics Drivers for 10.10.0 (343.01.01) with 'Maxwell' GeForce GTX 970 an

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently running my system with a GT 640 on the Nvidia web drivers. I just ordered a 4K monitor and a GTX 750 (the Gigabyte OC 2GB variant) so I'd have a DisplayPort from which to run my new monitor.

Since I'm already running the web drivers, will switching video cards be as simple as shut down, swap cards, attach monitor, boot? From what I've been reading here it sounds like it, but nothing is ever that simple! Thoughts?

EDIT: Actually it WAS that simple! Got the GTX 750 today (but not the 4K monitor :(), just swapped out the GT 640 and installed the GTX 750, reconnected my existing monitors, and it booted up as if nothing had changed!

Quick request and thanks in advance for anyone that can offer guidance.

I've got my recently acquired GTX970 (Innov3D) setup thanks to all the great instructions in these forums. There's one last thing I'm snagged on though.

I can only get the display to allow 1080P over HDMI, with no option to select 4K UHD. It's not a fresh install so it might be something legacy that I've added. Any ideas gratefully received.

Thanks,
Tim

I too am looking to get my GTX 970 setup. Has anyone had any luck getting this working reliably? I'm on a 10.10.1 install.

I too am looking to get my GTX 970 setup. Has anyone had any luck getting this working reliably? I'm on a 10.10.1 install.

On further investigation with my issues of getting the damned thing to display any form of 4k I've nailed this down to one of two things.

1) This is a driver issue. I've installed Windows 10 Preview onto an alternate SSD, installed the latest Nvidia drivers from the website and boom, 3860x2160/60p 4:4:4...perfect. So there's nothing wrong with the card, cables or recipient TV (Samsung UE40HU6900).

2) This is a legacy install problem. This isn't a clean install. In fact, it goes as far back as Snow Leopard, with various reconfigurations of kexts etc. So it might be worth doing a fresh install just incase there's something lurking in the background. So I will probably erase that Win10 install and put a fresh Yosemite on that to test.

Everything else works perfect, apart from CUDA moaning about needing an update. Keep you posted.

I just did the jump from an AMD 6870 to the gigabyte GTX 970 (OC Windforce). The installation went mostly without a hitch. My steps:

- nv_disable=1 in my clover config.plist (computer SMBIOS was set to Mac Pro 3.1, using AMD 6870, internal intel graphics disabled in bios)
- Turned off the computer
- Replaced 6870 with the GTX 970, plugging the monitor to the GTX (DVI port)
- Rebooted, installed latest nvidia web drivers (343.01.02f01), activated web driver (rebooted once again with nv_disable=1 to make sure)
- Remove nv_disable=1, add nvda_drv=1 and kext-dev-mode=1 in config.plist, reboot.
- Everything seemed OK at boot (card recognized, full resolution, etc.) but I had a lot of graphic related software crashes (preview, finder etc.). Activating injection for nvidia seemed to solve it but made the card name wrong in about my mac. Ultimately I changed the SMBIOS to imac 13.2 and these issues seem to be gone. I'm not actually fully sure if this is what solved it.

Does anyone has proved solutions/analysis of this problem in preview and other software ?

... BUT... Some benches I ran actually show very bad performance, such as cinebench: 58 (while I was getting 67 with the old AMD!). For unigine see he attached image... I don't know if it's any good. As for mac games it also looks alright but no fantastic progress. Any other feedback on performance ?

Last, I've tested one DVI (works), one DP (works), and HDMI doesn't.

Attachments

• unigine.png
    unigine.png
    176.1 KB · Views: 102
I just setup my gtx 970 no issues. Booted with nv_disable=1 with the 970 installed, installed the web drivers, reboot without any flags, enable the nvidia driver, reboot again and its working flawlessly.

I just setup my gtx 970 no issues. Booted with nv_disable=1 with the 970 installed, installed the web drivers, reboot without any flags, enable the nvidia driver, reboot again and its working flawlessly.

Which port and at what resolution?

One of the DVI ports, 1920x1080. I will test HDMI soon.

One of the DVI ports, 1920x1080. I will test HDMI soon.

I've had DVI dual link running at 2560x1440 at the same time as running HDMI at 1080p into the 4K TV.

If I can't get the 4K into HDMI resolved I'm going to have to run with a Windows build. I've just been a little bit sick in my mouth :)

Sorry, it looked like you guys were dealing with it just working at all. I probably didn't read far enough so your on a different issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back