ASRock z690 Steel Legend
CPU
i9-13900KF
Graphics
RX Vega 56
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Hey all,

I am having a few issues with the graphics card in my newly hacked Dell 5820. I bought a Sapphire Pulse RX580 for it, but it seems to be causing a few issues. I suspect it might be something to do with the legacy boot/UEFI mode it has, or perhaps something inherent in the Dell BIOS, but sometimes it works, then a system change (like installing the drivers in OSX for an RME HDSPe MADI audio card, shutting down, installing the card, powering up) will cause the system to power cycle over and over and over again. Occasionally it will continue on and boot with an entirely black screen.

To fix it, putting the Nvidia Quadro P2000 that original shipped with the Dell back in the machine usually straightens things out. It might power cycle a few times, but it always seems to boot to clover. Strangely, it also boots just fine straight into Catalina. OSX shows it as a generic 8mb card, but so far the basic experience watching movies or YouTube videos seems just fine.

Any thoughts on this? And if it is possible to get it installed in OSX Catalina properly? I know there are no web drivers available, but I was surprised it works as well as it does.

Most likely it's working with VESA drivers without any hardware acceleration but for "basic experience" the W-2133 makes up for it. There is no known way to properly use a P2000 in Catalina.

I would suspect something in either Dell's BIOS or the VBIOS of your RX580. Unfortunately testing this hypothesis further would require trying another supported GPU, which is not a very attractive proposition.
You may also check the condition of the RX580 and its cooling. It might be ageing or have suffered from abuse (mining, overclocking) from a previous owner.

PS That should be "C422", not "C499".

Thanks etorix,

I've got a WX7100 inbound - the single slot GPU suits my needs much better, and the RX580 is heading back to the original seller (thank you eBay seller protection). Judging by the grime inside it, I think it definitely sat in open air working hard mining cryptocurrency. It also results in a slightly strange oddity in OSX - when I open about this Mac, it takes about 1 second for the RX580 details to even appear on the page.

Thanks for the C422 note. I never filled in the system details. Must have been some nice admin picking up my slack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back