Contribute
Register

Nvidia or Amd? (or wait?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to build a hackintosh, with an i7700k, and 16gb ram, but I can’t decide between nvidia or amd for the graphics card. I am going to use the build for editing in Final Cut Pro and after effects, and some gaming in windows. All the RX 580’s and 480’s are sold out atm because of miners. But Vega will come soon tho, and nvidia cards are very cheap now, and I am thinking about buying the 1060. Should I buy the 1060 or should I wait for Vega? And is the iGPU on the I7 that bad for editing in AE and FCPX?

Adobe has heavy optimization towards nvidia, while FCPX is heavily optimized towards AMD - whichever you use will work weel with one application, but leverage less GPU power (through different optimization) on the second application. I am temporarily using two old 5770 cards for FCPX (used only as a hobby as I had these lying around).

If you are using this machine for hobby level of use then an nvidia card should be fine for FCPX, easier to get and have the required power in Windows. What is the price difference between the 4GB 1060 and the 1070 cards?

Apple have an exclusive on Vega with the new iMac Pro hitting stores in December - looks like pc builders are going to have to wait a bit longer, but it will be interesting to have AMD Vega GPU support in macOS once the PC cards do become available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back