Graphics
640m
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Now that Mountain Lion is out, I was wondering what are the chances of nVidia optimus support? I have HD4000 and 640M on a Gigabyte U2442N Ultrabook

I guess you missed this: http://www.tonymacx86.com/laptop-compatibility/71991-laptop-users-read-first.html

If your laptop is using NVIDIA Optimus graphics switching technology, you can stop reading as it's not supported and most likely will never be.

It is not very clear!! so I don't think you are 100% true..

I've seen older laptop by 2011 that has switchable graphics with optimus card work with mux (multiplexer) and able to switch graphics from BIOS. Proof: My friend has ASUS A43 with i2 2330m and nVidia GT 520M without intel HD shows up in device manager in windows (OOTB).

Newer laptop after 2011 are muxless laptops, nVidia can't run without Intel HD, no graphics switch options in BIOS. So can use only intel HD (hackintosh), and both cards with optimus switch (on windows).

NO support for Optimus DOES NOT mean you cannot achieve partial functionality...

(I know it's a tripple negative)....in short, you CAN still load OSX despite optimus!

(I really don't know why the laptop info post says to GIVE UP NOW!)

Nvidia might only work if you can shut off INTEL HD4000 in your Bios...

otherwise the workaround is GraphicsEnabler=NO as a boot flag....

I used this on my previous Dell with optimus and currently use Dell xps L521X....

the intel hd 4000 looks great but I cannot yet boot without -x flag for safe mode...as well as GraphicsEnabler=NO

looking forward to next Multi-Beast!

good luck....

I should have read the post before spend my hard earn money on my laptop. I am in the same boat as all of you guys. I have a NVIDIA Geforce GTX 675M 4GB GDDR5 with an Intel HD 4000 Graphics Card. I believe the obvious answer now for the Mac OS would be no. Unless somebody can show me how to get my MSI GT70 OND-219US laptop to work.:banghead: I hate to be negative but I also have to keep it real.

emalb1701,

i bought the same machine as you but i cant get booting the installer, perhaps you can help me?
i created an installer with unibeast without laptop mode with laptop mode and with laptopmode + legacy usb, it hangs everytime after initializing the nic with "still waiting for root device" before i can read some usbf - apple usb errors :/

how did you get the isntaller working?

[FONT=Lucida Grande, Lucida Sans Unicode, Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]i use asus n43sl, dual vga intel hd 3000 and nvidia gt540m, and all of them detected by my mackintosh, alltought i can't switch it. but since i read this...[/FONT]
[FONT=Lucida Grande, Lucida Sans Unicode, Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]"The 15-inch MacBook Pro automatically switches to it when you need more horsepower for things like playing 3D games, editing HD video, or even running CAD software. You’ll see more frames per second and experience better responsiveness — without lifting a finger." [/FONT]http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/performance/...
apple release new mac book with 2 vga card, i hope someone out there can use it to optimus user.

thanks

Use native kext nvidia GT540M 2GB. it work! but can't switch to intel hd graphics

[FONT=Lucida Grande, Lucida Sans Unicode, Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]i use asus n43sl, dual vga intel hd 3000 and nvidia gt540m, and all of them detected by my mackintosh, alltought i can't switch it. but since i read this...[/FONT]
[FONT=Lucida Grande, Lucida Sans Unicode, Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]"The 15-inch MacBook Pro automatically switches to it when you need more horsepower for things like playing 3D games, editing HD video, or even running CAD software. You’ll see more frames per second and experience better responsiveness — without lifting a finger." [/FONT]http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/performance/...
apple release new mac book with 2 vga card, i hope someone out there can use it to optimus user.

thanks

Optimus (or any "switching" tech, eg. Radeon) is not supported on OS X running on a hack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back