Contribute
Register

nVidia Optimus support?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Rehabman

Can NVDA 625m be made to work by blocking HD 4000 through dsdt or something. I don't have that option in BIOS though. 625m>>HD 4000, anyday. Look at the post below yours this guys is suggesting he did it...but its unclear, plus the link is dead.

Thanks

Hi Rehabman

Can NVDA 625m be made to work by blocking HD 4000 through dsdt or something. I don't have that option in BIOS though. 625m>>HD 4000, anyday. Look at the post below yours this guys is suggesting he did it...but its unclear, plus the link is dead.

Thanks

I've not heard of anyone doing it. I think the fundamental problem is that with optimus (and Radeon switching) all output actually goes through the Intel chip, but somehow using the nvidia chip for 3d manipulations (I don't understand the details 100%). Therefore you can't completely disable Intel and the driver situation involves parts of both Intel/nvidia drivers.

I could be wrong... you could experiment. I don't have the hardware.

More than two years have passed since the last post, and more than four years have passed since the original post. With all the major OS X releases, tech advancements and people working tirelessly on making the software work with the hardware, I feel like something should be available by now that allows the discrete GPU to work on a laptop hackintosh via switching (optimus or other). Perhaps it's not something that's important to those who have the ability to make it happen, or perhaps it's simply not possible. However, if there is a way to make this happen that someone is willing to share, I would be appreciative beyond words.

On the other hand, if this is possible, but no one has resolved it, how would one go about attempting to make it work? If there is simply too much involved to answer such a question, then please tell me what I should start learning to be able to answer this question on my own. I love this stuff and want to learn it as fast as possible. Having real world applications help me learn it faster and more effectively.

All help, advice and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

I mean no disrespect here by asking these questions, so please do not take this the wrong way. You have written your articles quite well, but I have read that twice through and then bits and pieces a third or fourth time, and I still don't fully understand what prevents my discrete GPU from somehow being hacked to work on a Mac OS. The info must be beyond my level of comprehension, so excuse my lack of understanding. From what I understand, the NVIDIA GPU has to run through the Intel HD4600 to work, and you can't run them both at the same time, so you have to disable one, but the HD4600 has to operate for the machine to operate, therefore the discrete card must be disabled. However, I don't understand what prevents Optimus from being integrated into a mac OS. I was just hoping that there was a way that could allow my GTX 870m to work in a mac environment. I've come to terms with having to ditch my Intel wifi card, I guess I'll have to come to terms with this as well...

I mean no disrespect here by asking these questions, so please do not take this the wrong way. You have written your articles quite well, but I have read that twice through and then bits and pieces a third or fourth time, and I still don't fully understand what prevents my discrete GPU from somehow being hacked to work on a Mac OS.

Real Macs use a different (Apple proprietary GMUX) switching/routing mechanism than do PCs. Not surprisingly, the drivers provided by Apple support only Apple's mechanism, not the PC industry standard. In addition, the software/driver mechanisms and interfaces are not documented, and even if they were, it is likely a non-trivial development effort, which probably involves changes to the related driver stacks (Intel, Nvidia, AMD) which also happen to be closed source.

Bottom line: Don't hold your breath waiting for this capability to appear (you will not survive).

Hope that helps.

Lol, yes, and I do appreciate that answer very much.

I mean no disrespect here by asking these questions, so please do not take this the wrong way. You have written your articles quite well, but I have read that twice through and then bits and pieces a third or fourth time, and I still don't fully understand what prevents my discrete GPU from somehow being hacked to work on a Mac OS. The info must be beyond my level of comprehension, so excuse my lack of understanding. From what I understand, the NVIDIA GPU has to run through the Intel HD4600 to work, and you can't run them both at the same time, so you have to disable one, but the HD4600 has to operate for the machine to operate, therefore the discrete card must be disabled. However, I don't understand what prevents Optimus from being integrated into a mac OS. I was just hoping that there was a way that could allow my GTX 870m to work in a mac environment. I've come to terms with having to ditch my Intel wifi card, I guess I'll have to come to terms with this as well...

As far as I know, GTX 870m is a discrete graphics card with MXM interface. And if you have a MXM graphics card in a laptop, that means you are not using Nvidia Optimus and you can use both cards.

In fact, I have a laptop with both Intel HD 4600 and GTX 870m cards working properly in Mac OS 10.12.6 (look at the following post):
https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/t...t-can-have-both-intel-and-nvidia-gpu-working/

Updating to 10.13 will cause instability to the HDMI interface, so I still use 10.12.6 in the laptop.

Could it be possible to trick the computer into thinking the card is external and thereby load it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back