Motherboard
HP 8300 CMT
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
I hadn't seen much (anything really) written about this card, the nVidia NVS510. Its an older card, but is low profile and has 4 mini DisplayPort outputs. The good news is it works straight OOB with no specific kexts. All four monitor outputs work simultaneously as designed. Should be good for 4x 4K@60hz but I don't have any 4K screens to test.

Thanks to @Adrian B for giving me some confidence (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...o-run-macos-mojave.254917/page-2#post-1824203) to try out this card. I found one secondhand for a similar price to a new GT710, which is the often quoted "minimum" or "basic" card to get things working quickly. I don't have a neeed (or desk space) for four monitors either.

The NVS510 is based on the Kepler architecture which is natively supported by macOS. You do NOT need the Nvidia drivers which are for newer cards, and from what I read have a mixed success rate.

Some useful info - 35W TDP, entirely bus powered, 2GB memory, 4 miniDP outputs, low profile, 192 CUDA cores and a GK107 Kepler GPU. Unfortunately has a fan and is not passively cooled.

I installed this in a HP 8300 that previously had a GT710 installed, following the excellent tutorials around and specifically the video here by @trs96. Unchecked `Inject Intel` I recall being the only change in Clover. I'm running High Sierra but expect (hope!) things will be fine on Mojave as well.

Let me know any questions. I haven't done any benchmarking. Sleep works and starting with 4 monitors attached also works.

Screen Shot 2018-10-10 at 10.20.38 PM.png

Name was correctly identified without any tweaks.
Screen Shot 2018-10-10 at 10.20.07 PM.png

Sound over DP is detected and works fine. Of the four monitors attached only two have speakers/audio output.
Screen Shot 2018-10-10 at 10.20.27 PM.png

Managing to find four DP monitors to test with!
Screen Shot 2018-10-10 at 10.20.46 PM.png

Arrangement becomes exciting!
Screen Shot 2018-10-10 at 10.20.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-10-10 at 10.20.59 PM.png

Have to scroll to see all the monitors.

What i would like to know if this card works OOB in Mojave. And i found similar card BUT HP variant. Will the HP variant work OOB?

What i would like to know if this card works OOB in Mojave. And i found similar card BUT HP variant. Will the HP variant work OOB?
Sorry but I haven't had a chance to upgrade to Mojave so can't tell you for sure. Everything I read suggests it will, but of course the proof is in actually doing it! What are the details (link?) of your HP card. I checked and mine actually has an HP part # on (721795-001) and it was removed from an HP Workstation, not sure what series. Hope that helps. Let us know if you go for it with Mojave!

Well that answered it about HP variant working in HS, thank you :). About Mojave, will report if i get my hand on the card

Sorry but I haven't had a chance to upgrade to Mojave so can't tell you for sure. Everything I read suggests it will, but of course the proof is in actually doing it! What are the details (link?) of your HP card. I checked and mine actually has an HP part # on (721795-001) and it was removed from an HP Workstation, not sure what series. Hope that helps. Let us know if you go for it with Mojave!
Have you tested this with Mojave yet ? Still supported ? Also, how noisy is the fan ?

Any luck with Mojave yet?

Update: Grabbed one of these cards for pretty cheap. Gonna try replacing a GT640 with it, running 10.14.1. Needed a Mini DP port for a Luna Display, so fingers crossed this still works in Mojave.

Update 2: The NVS 510 works great in Mojave, for those wondering. Worked OOTB on my 10.14.1 Sandy Bridge Installation.

Last edited:
For reference:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-01 at 4.53.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-01 at 4.53.55 PM.png
    101.8 KB · Views: 542
I hadn't seen much (anything really) written about this card, the nVidia NVS510. Its an older card, but is low profile and has 4 mini DisplayPort outputs. The good news is it works straight OOB with no specific kexts. All four monitor outputs work simultaneously as designed. Should be good for 4x 4K@60hz but I don't have any 4K screens to test.

Thanks to @Adrian B for giving me some confidence (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...o-run-macos-mojave.254917/page-2#post-1824203) to try out this card. I found one secondhand for a similar price to a new GT710, which is the often quoted "minimum" or "basic" card to get things working quickly. I don't have a neeed (or desk space) for four monitors either.

The NVS510 is based on the Kepler architecture which is natively supported by macOS. You do NOT need the Nvidia drivers which are for newer cards, and from what I read have a mixed success rate.

Some useful info - 35W TDP, entirely bus powered, 2GB memory, 4 miniDP outputs, low profile, 192 CUDA cores and a GK107 Kepler GPU. Unfortunately has a fan and is not passively cooled.

I installed this in a HP 8300 that previously had a GT710 installed, following the excellent tutorials around and specifically the video here by @trs96. Unchecked `Inject Intel` I recall being the only change in Clover. I'm running High Sierra but expect (hope!) things will be fine on Mojave as well.

Let me know any questions. I haven't done any benchmarking. Sleep works and starting with 4 monitors attached also works.

View attachment 356681
Name was correctly identified without any tweaks.
View attachment 356679
Sound over DP is detected and works fine. Of the four monitors attached only two have speakers/audio output.
View attachment 356680
Managing to find four DP monitors to test with!
View attachment 356682
Arrangement becomes exciting!
View attachment 356683 View attachment 356684
Have to scroll to see all the monitors.

So I have to ask, does this card have a UEFI BIOS and does macos display during boot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back