Contribute
Register

NVIDIA Launches "Maxwell" GeForce GTX 750 and 750 ti Graphics Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

Well, I've spent the last week or so trying absolutely everything I can to get my ASUS GTX750TI-PH-2GD5 card to work in my Mac Pro 1,1. It works like a champ in my Core2 Duo PC under Windows, but it simply will not work in my Mac (running Yosemite 10.10.5 with latest Web Drivers).

I've tried reflashing the BIOS, using several different BIOSes but no luck. None of them are even stable on the card under windows / PC environment and of course not with the Mac. Best case is the Mac will boot up and get to the login screen before crashing the machine and rebooting. If I configure the PCIe slot it's in to be anything over 4x, it is simply not recognised by Yosemite at all!

So.... I was thinking of selling it and getting the Palit GeForce GTX 750Ti StormX 2GB OC card instead. Could someone confirm that this is working under Yosemite please? I'd be forever grateful!

I would be running two displays at the moment, 1600x900 DVI and a 1920x1200 DVI/DPort, but would like to be able to run a 4K display like the Dell 27" whose exact product number escapes me at present. I thought I needed a dual DVI arrangement for this, though, so I'm not sure if this card would work. Perhaps one of the Gigabyte cards, but I'm so tired of trying to get my ASUS card to work that I'm just hoping someone can weigh in with some useful advice for me.

Thanks in advance!! :thumbup:

To be sure that a card will work buy one from the Buyer's Guide. Makes everything much simpler and easier...
Gigabyte 750 Ti Has Dual DVI outputs
Thanks for this, I wasn't aware of the existence of the buyer's guide. To be honest, through searching I wasn't able to definitively confirm that this card did definitely work so I was hesitant to order it.

Apologies if this sounds like a stupid question, but if it's on the buyer's guide, does that mean that it's been verified to work without reflashing, etc?

That's right, no flashing required. Take a look at Stork's Hector build. He uses that exact card
and discusses how to install it and that all 4 ports are working. So we know that it works in
a 3,1 Mac Pro Customac but whether it works in a real Mac Pro 1,1 I'm not completely certain.
I'll try to look into it more to find out. In the meantime why not consider building your own
Customac Pro with hardware selected from the Buyer's Guide ? Then you can be certain it will
all work together to run OS X Yosemite.

That's right, no flashing required. Take a look at Stork's Hector build. He uses that exact card
and discusses how to install it and that all 4 ports are working. So we know that it works in
a 3,1 Mac Pro Customac but whether it works in a real Mac Pro 1,1 I'm not completely certain.
I'll try to look into it more to find out. In the meantime why not consider building your own
Customac Pro with hardware selected from the Buyer's Guide ? Then you can be certain it will
all work together to run OS X Yosemite.
aryglitta,
Update: If you're going to put it in a Mac Pro 1,1, you'll have to mod your NVRAM to use the Web Drivers with something like (IIRC)
Code:
nvram boot-args="nvda_drv=1"
The MacForum's Mac Pro forum section has a nVidia sticky thread that goes into how to mod your NVRAM. See Step #24. Please read it before trying the above Terminal nvram command because I've not had to do this yet, and I'm only bringing to your attention.

Hi gents,

Thanks very much for the information. I have the nvda_drv bootflag set already; as far as I can tell the latest webdrivers set this without the need to manually add it. I've had to add the kext-dev-mode=1 bootflag to get my Radeon 5450 to work (after modifying some kexts. Amazing how much useful information there is in Hackintosh forums that is very useful for someone adding new HW to an old Mac like me), which now works great.

Unfortunately I think apart from the BIOS issue that we already know about, there's a good chance that most 750tis won't work in a 1,1 due to the PCIe 1.1 limitation. That is, these cards are bus powered so take all their current from the motherboard, and I believe the 1,1's motherboard can't supply quite enough juice.

I noticed that depending on what I configured the slot speed to be (1x, 4x, 8x or 16x), I would get a different behaviour from my ASUS 750ti. The 1,1 mac has a utility to change the PCIe slot configuration built into OSX.

I am going to order the EVGA 750Ti FTW card as it also has a separate power connection (as does the Gigabyte) and also has a Displayport output in case I wish to go to 4K 60hz later. I'll definitely report back on my progress for all those interested.

To be sure that a card will work buy one from the Buyer's Guide. Makes everything much
simpler and easier.

EVGA GTX 750 Ti Super Clocked Use the DP output to a 4K monitor

Gigabyte 750 Ti Has Dual DVI outputs

Hi Guys, LONG time lurker, just finally joined because I just got the exact EVGA card referenced above so I could upgrade my MacPro 1,1 to Yosemite and/or El Capitan...

First question: Is there any way to get this card working - at all - in Lion 10.7.5? If I can't manage to get Yosemite running...

I've been assured that it will work in Yosemite "out of the box" and then I can upgrade to the latest web drivers and CUDA etc. Same thing presumably applies to EC, but I'm in a weird catch-22: the GTX 750 won't work in Lion, but I'm not sure whether my Yosemite install/hack has succeeded and I'm having problems with the card or if my Yosemite install has failed... There's a (very small) chance the card itself may be defective...

Anyway, here's what I've done:

I'd gotten used to the significant performance of a RAID 0 (2x1TB striped) for a while in Lion, so, if possible, I wanted to keep that setup for Yosemite and EC. I successfully installed Yosemite on the RAID in target disk mode from an iMac running Lion. I was booted in Yosemite from my RAID on the iMac. Bueno!

I rebooted the MacPro in Lion and proceeded to swap out the Apple EFI's with the latest PikerAlpha EFI. (It's a RAID, so there were 4 boot.efi's to swap out - usr/standalone/i386 & /System/Library/CoreServices on the virtual drive and backups in a hidden partition on each of the physical drives)
I couldn't repair RAID permissions using DiskUtility because it's not an option in 10.7.5, so I went in the terminal and (theoretically) set the proper permissions (0644 with the Locked flag via chflags) on each of the boot.efi files.

I removed the Radeon X1900 card, put the brand-new GTX 750 Ti in and rebooted. I got the chime, but a black screen. I waited for a login. It never came.

I googled around and found that I could repair RAID permissions in Lion from the command line. I tried that, but got an endless stream of I/O errors...

So, as of this writing, I've reformatted each of the 1TB drives. I'm going to install Yosemite on one and ElCapitan on the other in target disk mode from the iMac, then I'll boot back into Lion, swap out the efi's, repair permissions, shut down, swap the GTX 750 in and... pray?

Am I missing a step? What about this boot argument I see in the thread above? Can I chroot into the Yosemite drive from Lion and install the web drivers?

Help! Please. Or maybe everything will be fine once I install to a regular drive. I don't know how soon anyone would notice this post and be able to help, so I figured I'd post first.

Thanks to Tony and the many various community members who have helped me over the last couple of years. Cheers.

@iMattux

You've got a "real" Mac Pro 1,1 this forum is not intended for those just using Apple hardware
and running OS X, it's for the Customac (OS X on PC hardware) You should be seeking help
in Apple forums where other Mac Pro users can help you with their experience. If you haven't
installed the Nvidia web drivers that's a good place to start. No where has anyone said the
750 Ti works OOB. Our Buyer's Guide is not intended for upgrades of real Mac Pros. Try using
Apple support or at least ask for help in Mac Pro forums. Here's a place you can start:

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...out-nvidia-pc-non-efi-graphics-cards.1440150/

Hi Guys, LONG time lurker, just finally joined because I just got the exact EVGA card referenced above so I could upgrade my MacPro 1,1 to Yosemite and/or El Capitan...

First question: Is there any way to get this card working - at all - in Lion 10.7.5? If I can't manage to get Yosemite running...
You are out of luck. Your GTX 750 Ti only works with the Yosemite nVidia Web drives in Yosemite...only. The nVidia drivers for your "way back" MP1,1 will not work. So, you'll need to return your 750 Ti or upgrade your MP1,1 with either a new computer or use the MP1,1 upgrade discussed on the Mac Pro forum section at MacRumors forum. :thumbup:

Good Luck!

You are out of luck. Your GTX 750 Ti only works with the Yosemite nVidia Web drives in Yosemite...only. The nVidia drivers for your "way back" MP1,1 will not work. So, you'll need to return your 750 Ti or upgrade your MP1,1 with either a new computer or use the MP1,1 upgrade discussed on the Mac Pro forum section at MacRumors forum. :thumbup:

Good Luck!

Thanks, guys. I'm moving over to the MacRumors forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back