Contribute
Register

NVIDIA launched "Maxwell" based GTX 960 graphics card in January 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's right, the GTX 960 (all model) have a 128 bits bus but it embeds good compression algorithms and if you don't intend to use it on another res than 1080p it should be fine.

You should read review articles, they often explain in-depth the new maxwell architecture and address the 128 bits "issue".

That's right, the GTX 960 (all model) have a 128 bits bus but it embeds good compression algorithms and if you don't intend to use it on another res than 1080p it should be fine.

You should read review articles, they often explain in-depth the new maxwell architecture and address the 128 bits "issue".

There is an interesting article on bit-tech ... http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/2015/01/28/is-nvidia-s-gtx-960-a-disappointment/

My interest is that I own three GTX 760 cards and was wondering if I had made a mistake in purchasing the last one.

Good modding,
neil

My Benchmark on Feb 23rd 2015: OS 10.10.2 (14C109)

View attachment 127746
After many problems and solutions, I got everything to work.
Here are my benchmarks for Windows 8.1 and Yosemite 10.10.2:
windows
windows.PNG
mac
mac.PNG
Although in Windows with Direct3D11 it got a score of 1500. But everything seems to be in working order! Note: I'm using iMac 14, 2 to get everything working.

Attachments

• windows.PNG
    windows.PNG
    35.8 KB · Views: 161
@neilhart: if what's matter for you is the performance/price ratio than the 760 is a pretty good deal. However if power consumption and noise are also really important, you should have gone with the 960. Thought it is sure a bit more pricy, you got a virtually silent card (at least with the MSI) and roughly -40 watts (and so less heat).

Hi everyone,

I'm building my first mackintosh but I'm looking for a good 960 card for OS X 10.10
and also could someone leave some steps on how the got everything working with a 960 if anyone has done so

Hi everyone,

I'm building my first mackintosh but I'm looking for a good 960 card for OS X 10.10
and also could someone leave some steps on how the got everything working with a 960 if anyone has done so

While I haven't bought a GTX 960, yet, I can give you some compatibility tips for early adopters. Pick a card that has same outputs as the nVidia Reference Graphics card because, when Apple does support it in OS X, it will base its drivers on the Reference Card.

I've had good luck with EVGA and Gigabyte graphics cards working OOB in OS X or, as in the case of the GTX 750 Ti, using the nVidia Web drivers.

Hi everyone,

+1 Stork.

I will add that you will find some answer to your questioning and user feedback all along this topic. ;)

I just installed the latest yosemite security update without any problem... :

- Download latest nv web drivers : WebDriver 343.02.02f03
- Install security update via Mac App Store
- Reboot with -x and nv_disable=1
- Install nv web drivers
- Reboot
- Done!

Nothing else.

While I haven't bought a GTX 960, yet, I can give you some compatibility tips for early adopters. Pick a card that has same outputs as the nVidia Reference Graphics card because, when Apple does support it in OS X, it will base its drivers on the Reference Card.

I've had good luck with EVGA and Gigabyte graphics cards working OOB in OS X or, as in the case of the GTX 750 Ti, using the nVidia Web drivers.

Thanks Stork :)

I just installed the latest yosemite security update without any problem... :

- Download latest nv web drivers : WebDriver 343.02.02f03
- Install security update via Mac App Store
- Reboot with -x and nv_disable=1
- Install nv web drivers
- Reboot
- Done!

Nothing else.

So eebec could you share what sys definition you used for both install and day to day? I followed Stork's guide on installing security 10.10.2 update and followed his long check list of how to install the Web drivers. http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...am-new-gigabyte-750-ti-2gb-graphics-card.html

After that was all complete I got my card to work up to the loading screen with the bar going across under the apple and then half way thru my screen goes white/gray with a frozen pointer. my build is, http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-bu...d5h-i7-3770k-gigabyte-geforce-gtx-660-ti.html.

Any help would be appreciated!! I would even be open to PM or email...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back