Contribute
Register

NVIDIA launched "Maxwell" based GTX 960 graphics card in January 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
NVIDIA to launch "Maxwell" based GTX 960 graphics card this month

So I have have finished my Hackintosch with a Gainward Phantom GTX960 last week - everything was working nicely including the web drivers.
This morning I turned on the computer and halfway through the boot progress bar the screen turns blank, with the monitor reporting "no signal" and all (just when formerly the resolution changed and probably the nvidia driver took over). Since then I had no success whatsoever to get the driver working again, and I do not know what has changed in between.

I tried two reinstalls, one with clover and one with uni-/multibeast, I tried different output ports (formerly worked with both HDMI and DP), scanned this forum and the web - no luck with what option whatsoever.
My rig is a X99 with 5820K CPU, so no internal grafix at all - working without the drivers is absolutely no option :(

I am a bit astonished and frustrated - any ideas what the problem might be? I am thinking of selling the GTX760 and buying a card that is not as new...

Regards,
sahnetorti

Update: Funny thing, the computer is fully booted, just the screen blank. I can connect with "Screen Sharing" and see the desktop/login/do whatever

Update 2: Seems like the monitor and system do not talk to each other any more, when booting with web driver there is no EDID information in the ioreg

Really strange issue. Unfortunately I don't have any clue on how to solve it... :(

Just so you know: installed Nvidia Web Drivers 343.02.02f02 without any problem. Running smoothly but still seen as a generic Nvidia Graphics Device.

So I have have finished my Hackintosch with a Gainward Phantom GTX960 last week - everything was working nicely including the web drivers.
This morning I turned on the computer and halfway through the boot progress bar the screen turns blank, with the monitor reporting "no signal" and all (just when formerly the resolution changed and probably the nvidia driver took over). Since then I had no success whatsoever to get the driver working again, and I do not know what has changed in between.

I tried two reinstalls, one with clover and one with uni-/multibeast, I tried different output ports (formerly worked with both HDMI and DP), scanned this forum and the web - no luck with what option whatsoever.
My rig is a X99 with 5820K CPU, so no internal grafix at all - working without the drivers is absolutely no option :(

I am a bit astonished and frustrated - any ideas what the problem might be? I am thinking of selling the GTX760 and buying a card that is not as new...

Regards,
sahnetorti

Update: Funny thing, the computer is fully booted, just the screen blank. I can connect with "Screen Sharing" and see the desktop/login/do whatever

Update 2: Seems like the monitor and system do not talk to each other any more, when booting with web driver there is no EDID information in the ioreg

Attempt to change the outputscreen. I know in windows I sometimes would place it in a projector screen. Did a function key and would come back. I know this is osx but sounds like an issue I'd have on my windows

Attempt to change the outputscreen. I know in windows I sometimes would place it in a projector screen. Did a function key and would come back. I know this is osx but sounds like an issue I'd have on my windows

Thanks for the spiritual support eebec and TylerWorth....after quite some sweat, blood and tears the graphics card works again. Unfortunately I tried so many things that I really do not know what the cause of it all was. Some things I did were:
1) Install Yosemite a third time
2) Remove and add again the graphics card
3) Defined a "display override" definition for OS X
4) Used EDID injection from clover
5) Played around with all sorts of BIOS and Clover settings
6) Reset the CMOS of the board
7) Rebooted, rebooted, rebooted

So no real solution I can give and I wonder how long the setup will continue to work. But well, so far I am glad that the system is up and running again:crazy:

Glad to hear that. Hopefully you will not encounter other problems. :thumbup:

I want to change my video card with a new nvidia, but I don't know what to buy: gtx960 or gtx760. What do you suggest? I'll use it for gaming and video editing.

Thanks

Sahnetorti,

I know it's a bit late, but a -no-zp additional bootflag is what temporarily fixed that problem for me so that I could get in and reinstall stuff. Not sure why it happens and why that fixes it.

GTX 760 is fully supported by Mac OSX and got a fair decent amount of power computing.

The 960 is a bit more powerful (GTX 770 ± 10%), heats much less as well as it draws less power but required OSX 10.10 and NV Web Drivers.

I would recommend the 960 because the installation of the NV Web Drivers is pretty straightforward and the GPU is virtually silent even under full charge which was not the case of the 760 (I have a tiny, open and without sound dampening case).

But if you want your graphic card to work OOB, go with a 760.

Thanks for your reply eebec.
I'm still confused because I saw that the EVGA GEFORCE GTX 960 SuperSC ACX 2.0+ has 128 bit (memory bit width), but the 760 has 256bit.

What do you think about that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back