Contribute
Register

NVIDIA launched "Maxwell" based GTX 960 graphics card in January 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
NVIDIA to launch "Maxwell" based GTX 960 graphics card this month

So right now I am faced with the dilemma of buying a GTX 970 with 4GB of RAM at about ~$330 or a newly released GTX 960 with 2GB of RAM coming in at about ~$200.

This would be for a dedicated Windows Media Center system though which uses an LG UB8500 55" UHD 4K Smart TV with HDMI 2.0 support (384x2160 at 60 via HDMI 2.0). So it wouldn't be in a Hackintosh any time soon.

The only reason I would go with the GTX 960 is because it is cheaper but compatibility with OS X would be a plus for down the line use. Unfortunately the GTX 960 is in a bit of a gray area there whereas the GTX 970 does have OS X support.

As for the video RAM (4GB vs 2GB) I think that more or less depends on what you are doing with your system. 2GB of vRAM is probably fine for 4K users that benefit from having as much information on screen as possible like programers for example (multiple editors side by side, console, debugger, HTML templates, style sheets, multiple browser windows with the finished product in it and so on),.......provided that the screen is big enough. For 4K users that have more graphically intensive needs then 4GB or more is likely needed.

As for gaming I believe nVidia is positioning the GTX 960 as a 1920x1080 type of mid level card. I have heard is should perform somewhere between the GTX 760 and GTX 770 but haven't seen any reviews yet.

I think I am leaning towards the GTX 970. The only thing I don't like about the GTX 970 is the price.

I should receive my MSI GTX 960 tomorrow.

works not! i get a black screen after boot...what can i do?

Wait until Nvidia releases a new update of the web drivers.

Wait until Nvidia releases a new update of the web drivers.
+1 eebec. Although the 960 is out, don't rush to fail. I expect nVidia may release updated web drivers to support the 960 next week, but hang in there. Apple won't support it for a good while - maybe in .3 or .4 Yosemite release.

BTW, when Apple does support graphics cards, it almost always supports the nVidia (or AMD, for that matter) Reference Card. Here's the nVidia Reference Card configuration > http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-960/product-images. If the card you are going to purchase, has these Reference Card ports (and only those ports), you chances of it working with Yosemite are greatly improved. :thumbup:

+1 eebec. Although the 960 is out, don't rush to fail. I expect nVidia may release updated web drivers to support the 960 next week, but hang in there. Apple won't support it for a good while - maybe in .3 or .4 Yosemite release.

BTW, when Apple does support graphics cards, it almost always supports the nVidia (or AMD, for that matter) Reference Card. Here's the nVidia Reference Card configuration > http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-960/product-images. If the card you are going to purchase, has these Reference Card ports (and only those ports), you chances of it working with Yosemite are greatly improved. :thumbup:

I think lately Apple's relationship with Nvidia hasn't been all that great. They are now competitors in some degrees in the mobile market.

We still haven't seen native compatibility of some of the newer gen Nvidia chip and the new iMac 27" uses AMD not Nvidia GPU.

Well that was unexpected: my MSI GTX 960 is up and recognized by OSX/NV Web Driver under the generic name of "NVIDIA Graphics Device 2047MB".

I'm using the first display port (the one near the HDMI output) at 1080p. So far so good...

OSX: 10.10.1
Nvidia Web Driver: 343.02.01f01 (latest)
Clover rev: r3128 (latest)
Clover Boot Argument: nvda_drv=1

Update:

EC6fa7Y.png

Well that was unexpected: my MSI GTX 960 is up and recognized by OSX/NV Web Driver under the generic name of "NVIDIA Graphics Device 2047MB".

I'm using the first display port (the one near the HDMI output) at 1080p. So far so good...

OSX: 10.10.1
Nvidia Web Driver: 343.02.01f01 (latest)
Clover rev: r3128 (latest)
Clover Boot Argument: nvda_drv=1

Update:

Were there any steps in particular that you took?

I just got my hackintosh build setup today and I got the Asus STRIX GTX 960 also.
I haven't installed the GTX 960 but I'm going to in a couple of hours following this guide:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...am-new-gigabyte-750-ti-2gb-graphics-card.html

Good news is that it works. However, the same benchmark for my GA GTX 750 Ti is 50.3 using a 1920x1200 monitor and the latest nVidiaweb drivers. So, the 960 is not yet fully supported. Soon, though, I would think. :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back