Contribute
Register

NVIDIA launched "Maxwell" based GTX 960 graphics card in January 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you, I got my card today, havent tested yet but probably will tomorrow. I will write after I test it.

...By the way, is there any way to control fan speed or any program like that to overclock from OS?

Not that I'm aware of. The problem is that Apple doesn't yet support the Maxwell cards which is why we need to use the nVidia Web drivers. Neither Yosemite nor the nVidia drivers support Maxwell power management.

Damn, so what I understand from this is that we might not get the best performance from our cards yet?

Btw I found unigine benchmark for mac to make some tests. The results were not bad anyway.

Fans speeds are managed by the card itself. Too hot? Increase rpm. Cooler? Let's stop them from spinning. Doesn't matter if you have a functional OS or not. If the card is powered then the cooling is automatic. (e.g. on UEFI menus, fans of my 960 are stopped).

So yes you should not expect the same level of performance under Mac OS but only because Nvidia Web Drivers are far less optimised than Windows ones. Not because of heat issue.

And +1 to stork's answer: you cannot OC your card unfortunately (not I think that matters but that's another point).

Thanks for the info, well im pretty fine with it anyway, much much better than my old radeon hd 6870 anyway :)

I have the same Asus Strix GTX 960 card.

I'm using a 4K monitor (Dell UP2414Q) via DisplayPort, but in OS X, it only runs at 30Hz.

Could any one give a hint on how to resolve this? Thanks!

I have the same Asus Strix GTX 960 card.

I'm using a 4K monitor (Dell UP2414Q) via DisplayPort, but in OS X, it only runs at 30Hz.

Could any one give a hint on how to resolve this? Thanks!

With new driver released by Nvidia my card now is recognized by GTX 960 in stead of Nvidia Graphics Driver. I have a 2008 Mac Pro 8 Core. THANKS NVIDIA! Thank you guys for the info to get this working on my Mac :headbang::headbang::headbang::mrgreen:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-02 at 8.33.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-02 at 8.33.30 PM.png
    122.3 KB · Views: 439
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back