Contribute
Register

NVIDIA launched "Maxwell" based GTX 960 graphics card in January 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
So eebec could you share what sys definition you used for both install and day to day? I followed Stork's guide on installing security 10.10.2 update and followed his long check list of how to install the Web drivers. http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...am-new-gigabyte-750-ti-2gb-graphics-card.html

After that was all complete I got my card to work up to the loading screen with the bar going across under the apple and then half way thru my screen goes white/gray with a frozen pointer. my build is, http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-bu...d5h-i7-3770k-gigabyte-geforce-gtx-660-ti.html.

Any help would be appreciated!! I would even be open to PM or email...

I was able to get this update working on my gtx 960, first, after having updated the security patch, I had same problem as you.
so I had to swap the gtx 960 card out, put in old gtx 560 back in..booted in, install the new updated web drivers, on restart, I shut down the pc and swapped back gtx 960 card. then had to boot with nvda_drv=1
and then all was good again

Yeah I was aware of Stork's guide and I think what a pain in the ass :D. So as I'm lazy I tried to update like I always did and it works. I wasn't able to reboot with only nv_disable=1, you absolutely need the -x flag.

Since I'm on clover, I always used iMac 14,1 system definition (which matches the best my build: i5 4570S + series 8 MB) and never had to change for any kind of update...

Yeah I was aware of Stork's guide and I think what a pain in the ass :D. So as I'm lazy I tried to update like I always did and it works. I wasn't able to reboot with only nv_disable=1, you absolutely need the -x flag...
Believe me, if you thought my steps were a pain, then you didn't spend the 3+ hours I spent trying to get Hector updated before I hit upon the solution I outlined. My problem was whatever I tried, the Security Update would freeze the system upon installing. However, in retrospect, I didn't try changing the build designation in the nVidia driver as discussed earler in this thread before installing the Security Update since I was updating before it was published. Dunno if that would have kept the Security Update from freezing, but...Oh, well.

I am sure it was quite difficult to found the golden path. It seems to be a lot like a lottery when dealing with major updates and nv web drivers. Thanks for the time spent! :clap:

Any idea why you had to go through all these steps? My build is pretty similar to hector, gigabyte MB, maxwell gpu, 10.10.2... The only difference is my IGP which is disabled and my bootloader which is Clover (don't think it matters). I don't get it. :(

Any idea why you had to go through all these steps? My build is pretty similar to hector, gigabyte MB, maxwell gpu, 10.10.2... The only difference is my IGP which is disabled and my bootloader which is Clover (don't think it matters). I don't get it. :(
I think it was due to the Security Update installation changing the build # (designator) parameter while installing and the Web Driver barfed. Dunno what else to think. So, I'll try reinstalling the Security Update from my backed up installation this weekend changing the nVidia Web driver build descriptor first.

You don't have to change the build target if you use the latest (but beta?) web drivers 343.02.02f03 which are provided for build number 14C1510.

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to step in for one quick second and ask two quick questions I haven't seen posted yet:

1. Anyone running Triple monitor with one of these cards or tested it yet?

2. I use my hackintosh for pc gaming as well (windows on another drive), what are your thoughts about having dual 960's? Would I have any issues in OS X? (I'm looking at the EVGA 4gb instead of the 2gb 960)

TIA and thank you for this great thread :)

Hi there!

I have just ordered my ASUS GeForce GT 960 Strix OC.

Right now I'm using Gigabyte HD Radeon 6870 on my system. I have some stuff written on boot.plist for the card I have now. I wonder if I should delete some of them after I put my gt 960 on it?

My system is:
Yosemite installed
-Gigabyte ga-z68x-ud3h-b3
-Intel i5 2500k
-Gigabyte Radeon HD 6870
-16 GB Corsair ram

My boot.plist looks like:
Code:
	<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	[B]<key>AtiConfig</key>[/B]
[B]	<string>Duckweed</string>[/B]
[B]	<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>[/B]
[B]	<string>Yes</string>[/B]
	<key>IGPEnabler</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string>kext-dev-mode=1</string>
	<key>Legacy Logo</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>2</string>
        <key>HDEFLayoutID</key>
        <string>01000000</string>
        <key>GenerateCStates</key>
        <string>Yes</string>
        <key>GeneratePStates</key>
        <string>Yes</string>
        <key>UseKernelCache</key>
        <string>Yes</string>
	<key>HDAEnabler</key>
	<string>No</string>

@rethua: can't help you I'm not using Chimera. But from what I see you should remove any AMD/ATI related flag (e.g. AMD injection) and change GraphicsEnabler to no. When you put the 960 for the first time, boot with kernel flags nv_disable=1 and -x, install NV web drivers, reboot. Should be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back