Contribute
Register

Nvidia Hardware Acceleration Issue After Mavericks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is possible to make it work in MacMini6,2 definition? Maybe adding missing MacMini6,2 section in AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext?

I don't know that AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext was where the problem lay -- I got the impression that Mavericks was trying to do something different related to hardware video acceleration when the System Definition was MacMini6,2. MacMini6,2 does have a AppleGraphicsPowerManagement section -- it's identified by the board id from SMBIOS.PLIST -- and I had added the same GPU definition in that section that I'm now using successfully with MacPro5,1.

The real MacMini6,2 normally only uses integrated graphics, so maybe there's another kext somewhere that doesn't accommodate the additional GPU. I didn't have the same issue with the MacMini6,2 definition with Mountain Lion. It would be interesting to search the other kexts for the MacMini6,2 board ID, and see if it appears anywhere else.

I don't know that AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext was where the problem lay -- I got the impression that Mavericks was trying to do something different related to hardware video acceleration when the System Definition was MacMini6,2. MacMini6,2 does have a AppleGraphicsPowerManagement section -- it's identified by the board id from SMBIOS.PLIST -- and I had added the same GPU definition in that section that I'm now using successfully with MacPro5,1.

Do you refer to /Exta/smbios.plist ??? Because mine doesn't have AppleGraphicsPowerManagement section, but has:
<key>SMboardproduct</key>
<string>Mac-F65AE981FFA204ED</string>

I'm lost:(

Sorry -- in AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext the older products are all referred to by their "Product Name"..MacPro5,1 for example.

The kext doesn't mention "MacMini6,2" anywhere, but there's an section for "Mac-F65AE981FFA204ED". That matches the "SMBoardProduct" value that's listed in your /Extra/smbios.plist if you use MultiBeast to set your System Definition to "MacMini6,2". That's where you'd add the info for your GPU to make graphics power management work.

Just chiming in. I have the same issue with my GTX 580 on a Maximus V Gene mobo and MacMini6,2 sysdef.

My system worked great in 10.8.5, now in Mavericks everything works great except the hardware acceleration.
It actually freezes the computer everytime I open a video on Youtube or play something in Quicktime.

Ok so here is my AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext section
I have Intel HD4000 IGPU and Nvidia GT 630 GPU (PID 1284)

But I have got still problems with quicktime videos. What is wrong

Code:
<key>Mac-F65AE981FFA204ED</key>
<dict>
	<key>IGPU</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Heuristic</key>
		<dict>
			<key>EnableOverride</key>
			<integer>0</integer>
			<key>ID</key>
			<integer>2</integer>
		</dict>
		<key>control-id</key>
		<integer>16</integer>
	</dict>
	<key>Vendor10deDevice1284</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Heuristic</key>
		<dict>
			<key>ID</key>
			<integer>0</integer>
			<key>IdleInterval</key>
			<integer>250</integer>
			<key>SensorOption</key>
			<integer>1</integer>
			<key>SensorSampleRate</key>
			<integer>4</integer>
			<key>TargetCount</key>
			<integer>5</integer>
			<key>Threshold_High</key>
			<array>
				<integer>93</integer>
				<integer>93</integer>
				<integer>93</integer>
				<integer>100</integer>
			</array>
			<key>Threshold_Low</key>
			<array>
				<integer>0</integer>
				<integer>97</integer>
				<integer>97</integer>
				<integer>97</integer>
			</array>
		</dict>
		<key>LogControl</key>
		<integer>0</integer>
		<key>control-id</key>
		<integer>18</integer>
	</dict>
</dict>

I have a GeForce GT 240 (512MB) I create my UniBeast stick but was unable to boot (try all the possible boot flag) until I change all the Kext in the S/L/E with the Nvidia DropBox files (Thanks to Quagh, Post number 6 on this threat...) The files are hidden on the usb stick so you need to unhide them and use Kext Utility (or others) to put them on your USB...
After that my Unibeast boot to the install screen... upgrade to Mavericks went fine, BUT after reboot only 1280X800 resolution and NO way to go higher...
SO I install the Nvidia (DropBox) Kexts on my Mavericks HD (S/L/E) restart and got all my resolution back and my two screens...
So I guess that the new kexts of the Mavericks install are not compatible with my "old" GT240... I never had this problem before, and it look like that some people with the same card don't have my problem too.
I wonder if a clean install would have go smoother...

Sorry -- in AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext the older products are all referred to by their "Product Name"..MacPro5,1 for example.

The kext doesn't mention "MacMini6,2" anywhere, but there's an section for "Mac-F65AE981FFA204ED". That matches the "SMBoardProduct" value that's listed in your /Extra/smbios.plist if you use MultiBeast to set your System Definition to "MacMini6,2". That's where you'd add the info for your GPU to make graphics power management work.

Hey, I've installed Multbeast with MacPro5,1 right after install and I am able to boot in but am not able to download any files, apps dont open up ( like chrome, flash etc... ), Youtube videos says Video unavailable. Can you please write down the list of steps I need to do to fix it. Sorry I am a noob when it comes to editing up kexts.

Thanks in advance ..

UPDATE : I've posted more details about my build @ http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...-unable-download-files-apps-crashing-etc.html

Any help will be appreciated :)

Hello! I had the exact same problem with my new GTX 760. I was using system definition of MacBookPro 8,1 because of HD3000 integrated graphics. Then I came across this thread and change the system definition to Mac Pro 5,1 and graphics acceleration works now, I don't try any benchmark nor game yet, but I tried high resolution flash videos, youtube, vimeo etc... And it works fine.. Auto sleep is ok. BUT..... due to HWMonitor and my experience for this kind of card (it's the "Phantom" model of Gainward), when this card is in idle (2D), it should be at 50Hz of GPU Core and something similar small number for GPU memory.. (I had the GTX 560 Phantom). If my GPU play a high resolution video, it goes in full acceleration and never drops down.. It stays high, and the temperatures raising... What should I do?? Can someone please tell me, how to add my graphics card to AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext to natively supported on Mavericks? I found the section inside the kext for the MacPro 5,1 but I don't know what I have to change below that... I supposed this card was natively supported for drivers and power management in Mavericks from what I read so far.. That's why I bought it..

To add to this thread with some of my findings:

The corruption seems to depend somewhat on which SMBIOS definition you pick. For my system (z77/2500k/GTX670), mac-pro is okay, but mac-mini causes corruption as shown.

corruption.jpg

Also, this error is caused by the same corruption. The system tries to use HW acceleration to create icon previews for video files.

error.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back