1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
  3. Windows Phone
Hi,

is there anybody out there experiencing strange hardware accell issue after mavericks?

my machine running fine and the graphic card (GTX 460M) accell is fully working,

the problem is, the video playback in several apps rendering seems to messed up (Quick Time, Firefox, Safari)

in Firefox n Safari i able to fix the issue by disabling Hardware Accel, but i can't do the same for Quick Time

any thought?

Same here with Nvidia GT 630
During hardware accelerated video playback I can see in console this kind of output:

27.10.2013 21:39:11,765 System Preferences[1373]: AVF error: AGPMGetPowerState: returned err= 0x10000003 (vp4)

I think this is some sort of AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext issue, but I don't know how to resolve it. Tried to remove this kext without success.

All these new threads are reporting graphics issues, mainly hardware acceleration ones. I'm having these too (no fancy effects, slow switching of spaces, "artifacts" / slow screen refresh, …).

I briefly "fixed" these issues by using my old NVidia kexts, so I'll try to copy them back and reboot. Oh, and booting without GraphicsEnabler=Yes just puts my display to sleep before I even get to see the gray startup screen.

Same here with Nvidia GT 630
During hardware accelerated video playback I can see in console this kind of output:

27.10.2013 21:39:11,765 System Preferences[1373]: AVF error: AGPMGetPowerState: returned err= 0x10000003 (vp4)

I think this is some sort of AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext issue, but I don't know how to resolve it. Tried to remove this kext without success.

Thanks Quagh, the console error seems like a good clue...I can't remember if I noticed the Quicktime/Youtube video issue before I edited AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext to add my device under the MacMini6,2 section. I updated it with the same device entry that had worked well for me in Mountain Lion.

Maybe next I'll try:

1. taking the <dict> entry for my GPU out of the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext. This should make it not load a power management profile for my GPU.
2. switching to the MacPro3,1 system definition. When I use that it doesn't even try to load AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext. I'm not sure how that would affect my GPU though -- would it always run at the lowest power state? At the highest?

So, I fixed my issue (although I need to do some benchmarking first).

I went back in time (but not really) and looked at the different file versions in /System/Library/Extensions. A year ago, I had these same issues and found a thread with some NVidia kexts to download; these fixed the same hardware acceleration issues at the time.

Here's a list of them:

GeForce.kext
GeForceGA.plugin
GeForceGLDriver.bundle
GeForceTesla.kext
GeForceTeslaGLDriver.bundle
GeForceTeslaVADriver.bundle
GeForceVADriver.bundle
NVClockX.kext
NVDAGF100Hal.kext
NVDAGK100Hal.kext
NVDANV50HalTesla.kext
NVDAResman.kext
NVDAResmanTesla.kext
NVDAStartup.kext
NVSMU.kext

I've put them online for you to download and test.

Note that all kexts starting with GeForce are not present in the default Mavericks installation. So my best guess is that they are responsible for the hardware acceleration. I advise you to just install these first (with Kext Utility) and see what it does. You should be able to verify this by adding a widget to your dashboard and see if any ripples come up. If so, it's all good.

Let me know what this does for you!

I do have all these kexts in my /System/Library/Extensions already, with one exception: NVClockX.kext.

The timestamps on my current kexts match all of the timestamps on yours too -- though I guess that things inside could still be different.

What is NVClockX.kext?

FYI I had been using the MacMini6,2 system definition; tonight I switched to MacPro5,1 and now I have no issues. I removed AppleTyMCEDriver.kext to avoid the kernel panic, and updated AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext to use my GPU with MacPro5,1. No more issues with Quicktime, no more issues with Youtube. Everything is working great.

FYI I had been using the MacMini6,2 system definition; tonight I switched to MacPro5,1 and now I have no issues. I removed AppleTyMCEDriver.kext to avoid the kernel panic, and updated AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext to use my GPU with MacPro5,1. No more issues with Quicktime, no more issues with Youtube. Everything is working great.

Is possible to make it work in MacMini6,2 definition? Maybe adding missing MacMini6,2 section in AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext?

I seem to be having a similar issues with my ati 6870 card, so I don't think this is limited to nvidia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back