Contribute
Register

NVIDIA GTX980 TI SLI support on macOS Sierra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Designare
CPU
Intel Core i7-6700K
Graphics
Gigabyte GTX980 TI
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me out. I've got a fully working system except Sleep but that's not an issue for me. I recently got an GTX980 TI and am really happy with the performance but I also like to play games on Windows and because I'm using a 1440p screen I was wondering if SLI is possible on macOS? Or if not, is it possible to have a second GTX980 TI just sitting there with SLI bridge and use it on Windows and ignore it on macOS.

So basically,
1. Is GTX980TI SLI possible on macOS Sierra using NVIDIA web drivers?
or if above is no
2. Can I just put a second card in there with SLI bridge and use it on Windows for gaming and ignore it on Mac somehow?

If anyone could help me out or point in the right direction would be awesome!

PS,
my first post/thread here, sorry if I'm not doing it right somehow.

1. Is GTX980TI SLI possible on macOS Sierra using NVIDIA web drivers?
No, OS X / macOS does not support SLI.

2. Can I just put a second card in there with SLI bridge and use it on Windows for gaming and ignore it on Mac somehow?
Sierra will see them as two graphics cards.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the quick and clear answer!

Hi Guys, just to update you on the subject of this thread. I just installed a second MSI GTX 980 GPU into my system yesterday and as we know MacOS does not support SLI, however to answer your 2nd question, it is true I am able to run Windows 10 using the SLI config and I can actually run Sierra MacOS 10.12.4. It took for a little while to get it to actually work, because everytime I tried to boot with Clover, it would just give me the Apple logo and then the circle with a cross through it. So, I decided to unplug the Display Port cable from my original 980 which is on PCI-E slot 1 and plug it into the 2nd 980 on PCI-E slot 2 and it now loads everytime without fail. So, I'm able to just use one card in MacOS & the SLI in Windows. I'm not sure but it would be such an easy thing as because I was plugging into Slot 1 card MacOS was seeing both and now I've plugged it into Slot 2 card it doesn't see the 1st card. Anyway, it is possible to achieve question no.2, woohoo!!:)). IMG_2179.JPG IMG_2177.JPG

Hi Guys, just to update you on the subject of this thread. I just installed a second MSI GTX 980 GPU into my system yesterday and as we know MacOS does not support SLI, however to answer your 2nd question, it is true I am able to run Windows 10 using the SLI config and I can actually run Sierra MacOS 10.12.4. It took for a little while to get it to actually work, because everytime I tried to boot with Clover, it would just give me the Apple logo and then the circle with a cross through it. So, I decided to unplug the Display Port cable from my original 980 which is on PCI-E slot 1 and plug it into the 2nd 980 on PCI-E slot 2 and it now loads everytime without fail. So, I'm able to just use one card in MacOS & the SLI in Windows. I'm not sure but it would be such an easy thing as because I was plugging into Slot 1 card MacOS was seeing both and now I've plugged it into Slot 2 card it doesn't see the 1st card. Anyway, it is possible to achieve question no.2, woohoo!!:)).View attachment 256927 View attachment 256928

Hey I having simiiar issues with the same motherboard and two gtx 970s. How did you setup your Bios and clover config to get it to work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back