Contribute
Register

Nvidia GTX 980ti Causes Kernel panic, graphics glitching, no longer boots to windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H
CPU
i7 4790k
Graphics
HD 4600
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Today I installed a GTX 980 ti into my hack rig. I'm running El Capitan 10.11.5 and clover. After installing the card I installed the web drivers associated with the OS build. Since then booting up has been very erratic. Sometimes I can boot into my system, sometimes I get a kernel panic (rock solid build before using Integrated Graphics HD 4600). I have tried the boot flag nvda_drv=1 but there's no real change. I've tried enabling "Inject Nvidia" in the options, and disabling "Inject Intel" but no luck.

I should note: I'm using three displays currently: two of them are hooked up to the integrated graphics and one is hooked up to the GTX 980 ti. I should also note that this is a dual boot system, booting both Windows 10 and OSX from SEPARATE hard drives (both going through clover). Since I installed the web driver and began having kernel panics booting into OSX I can no longer boot into windows either! It just freezes OR goes into the "preparing automatic repair" for Windows 10.

Please help - I've read all I can but I don't know what to do or where to begin. Is there a bios setting I need changed? Thanks.

Edit: It looks like I can boot directly to the windows disk and get into windows if I use F12 on start and bypass clover all together. Has anyone encountered this behavior?

Last edited:
Update: both OS X and windows boot fine when I changed my bios so igfx is primary graphics on boot. Windows has all 3 displays working fine, while OS X only has the 2 integrated displays working. The display connected to the 980 ti isn't working. Any further ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back