Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello every one, this is my first post.
I'm trying to make a fresh install of SnowLeopard retail disc using iBoot-GE Multibeast guide, but it just keep giving me Kernel Panic :confused:
My hardware is:
Intel DX58SO motherboard (using latest BIOS "5390"),
i7-920,
PNY Nvidia GeForce GTX 460,
2GB RAM,
120 GB SATA drive.

After a full 4 days reading blogs and trying to make it work by myself :banghead: , I give up and asking for some help.

I think the problem is related with the video card, when the system is trying to boot from SnowLeopard Disk, it stop responding at next line:
"ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out"
(using verbose boot to look at)

The weird thing is using exactly the same hardware except for the video card (swapping with an old ATI x850XT (the only one PCIe I have))
it gave me the exact same message "ACPI_SMC......" but exactly after that inmediatly start the installer graphical user interface and let me install without any problem (actually I did it twice with my X850XT and the install procedure finished without any problem)

I bought the PNY GTX 460 because it was a recomended card by tonymacX86 "Fully Compatible NVIDIA Graphics Card for Mac OSX",

Please give me some advice.

regarding the kernel panic, is that referring to the start of the installation when it boots the snow leopard disc and it fails with an error message to restart the computer? because i too am having the same issue and think it may be my video card. i have an msi gtx465. can anyone help sort out this issue....

@ Dr Kusho

Did you set the bios up properly? Sounds like you did all the research so I would think you got everything right. But I put my DVD on SATA-0 and HDD on SATA-1 then set your SATA to AHCI. Double Check your ACPI settings for S3 and HPET to Enable with 64Bits.

I also disable peripherals to make it very minimal in the BIOS. Disable 1394/Audio/USB-3/GSATA/RAID/eSATA. Then if you get through to Multibeast just enable the Peripherals 1 by 1 in the BIOS if you still have panics after that.

Is the PNY Overclocked or listed specifically as compatible or just any 460? I had a 480 working before any of the GE iBoot and with a Fermi framework hack.

Not sure about the BIOS of the Intel Board either, I have never seen its layout.

DVD drives can be problematic on ASUS boards so I am not sure if Intel may be the same. I swapped a DVD drive once on ASUS and it worked flawlessly after that.

I had problems with ATI and iBoot GE so maybe try a different iBoot?

I think the problem may be the Mainboard and BIOS. Not sure if any systems have been built with this board but I would think EasyBeast would give standard support at least.

@blaumann

Hope some of the above info helps out your situation too. Are you talking about the Power Button looking screen that says Restart? So you have already installed MultiBeast and you may need different Kexts, DSDT or installation?

Dr Kusho said:
I'm trying to make a fresh install of SnowLeopard retail disc using iBoot-GE Multibeast guide, but it just keep giving me Kernel Panic :confused:
My hardware is:
i7-920,
2GB RAM,
120 GB SATA drive.

After a full 4 days reading blogs and trying to make it work by myself :banghead: , I give up and asking for some help.

I think the problem is related with the video card, when the system is trying to boot from SnowLeopard Disk, it stop responding at next line:
"ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out"

The weird thing is using exactly the same hardware except for the video card (swapping with an old ATI x850XT (the only one PCIe I have))
it gave me the exact same message "ACPI_SMC......" but exactly after that inmediatly start the installer graphical user interface and let me install without any problem (actually I did it twice with my X850XT and the install procedure finished without any problem)

I bought the PNY GTX 460 because it was a recomended card by tonymacX86 "Fully Compatible NVIDIA Graphics Card for Mac OSX",

I get the same kernal panic.
I also have been reading guides for several days. Have also tired the suggestions by immapc.

Have used iboot, iboot legacy and Cameleon RC5.
Use every combination of -x -v -f PCIRootUID=1 GraphicEnabler=No cpus=1

Have used a 9800GT with no issues.
Is the PNY Nvidia GTX 460 just hopeless?

Specs are as follows:
DG33TL
Core 2 Quad Q6600
PNY Nvidia GTX 460
4gb
1TB partitioned in half
1 sata DVDRom

See everyone even i tried setting my BIOS and every thing i even i cross-checked but sometimes it worksout and goes in but some times it shows me KERNEL PANIC :banghead:

Dr Kusho said:
My hardware is:
i7-920,
2GB RAM,
120 GB SATA drive.

I had the same problem here is what you do:

-Download iboot (the normal version)
-before install write: -x PCIRootUID=1 GraphicsEnabler=0

Thnx alot for the this:-

Download iboot (the normal version)
-before install write: -x PCIRootUID=1 GraphicsEnabler=0

i will try it and inform u soon!
i so think this will wrk! :clap:

Well?? I have the same problem. I can install, and update with iBoot and multi-beast, but a after running the nvidia update I get kernel panic on reboot. Everything works peachy with my old 7900 gs.

What exactly is meant by "before install write"? Before installing snow leopard on a fresh disk? before installing thenvida updaate? If the former, where is one to"write"the command? If the latter, should one use multi beast or should the command be written somewhere else?

Thanks.

Edit: a third interpretation just occurred to me: should the command be entered into iboot's terminal before running the install dvd?

Update: entering the command in question in iboot as, a startup option allowed the os to boot, but after setting the pci rootuid in multi beast, I still get kernal panic.

Update: after enabling graphics enabler 0 in multi beast, kernel panic.

Update: the closest I have gotten to making the GTX 460 work was when 10.6.8 Snow Leopard actually recognized the card with the correct amount of VRAM and everything. However, it was still forcing it to 1024x768.

Final update: Lion makes it work. period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back