Contribute
Register

Nvidia GTX 1080 + LG Ultrafine 5K full 5K@60hz Success!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes , they works together or individual. Did you connect the cable right? had you check it in windows?
Yep it works in windows.
Also it works on 10.13.4 - which i am still running.

One issue I have on 10.13.4: I have to disconnect the LG5k before boot, and then connect it after logging in (this prevents black screen). Other than that it still works perfectly.

After upgrading to 10.3.5 + upgrading NVidia driver, it just doesn't work.. I will just keep the current version, and try an upgrade to Mojave its possible for LG5k.

WhateverGreen now replaces NvidiaGraphicsFixup, IntelGraphicsFixup, CoreGraphicsFixup, and Shiki. I think this LG 5K fix should be a new and separate kext, maybe called something like Nvidia5KFixup. Maybe it could take a parameter nv5Kdisp=xxxx:xxxx to set the EDID display vendor and device IDs so it could possibly work with other dual DisplayPort displays.

Thanks for the info. So you think the LG 5K fix should be included as part of WhateverGreen?

Thanks for the info. So you think the LG 5K fix should be included as part of WhateverGreen?
It should have a name that is not the same as the other fixes. Making it part of WhateverGreen is an option as long as it's not another branch with the same name. If the fix is kept separate, then it should not included the fixes that the other extensions do.

Is there any solution to make my Ultrafine 5K work on MacOS 10.13.6 with Nvidia GTX1060?

Is there any solution to make my Ultrafine 5K work on MacOS 10.13.6 with Nvidia GTX1060?

I'm still on 10.13.4 because i couldnt get it to work on 10.13.5 (but others have managed to do it)

I think there is... I'm on 10.13.6 with Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti now and LG Ultrafine 5k. It looks like the solution provided for 10.13.5 in the following post by aerror is still working but there is a small restriction which is obviously annoying if you'd like to get 5K. Basically I don't have any issue with loading on resolution up to 4K via one DP but if you try to connect the second DP until Mac OS is loaded you're getting the black screen. To handle this case you have to do some steps if you've got a couple of monitors you're able to turn your monitor on after logging if you don't you need to loaded Mac OS with one connect DP and after Mac OS is loaded connect the second DP.

Unfortunately, this thing is very annoying for me that's why I decided to work with one DP now. There is also another one for me. I don't have working web camera, sounds, brightness control if I'm using GC Alpine Ridge which has two thunderbolt ports and allows to get 5K (I'm not sure why It happens because it works fine in Windows) that's why I'm on ASUS Thunderboltex 3 that has only one DP.

Guys please help! Anyone know how to do this Ultrafine 5K with Nvidia on a real Mac?? Everything works fine under Windows BootCamp

I have a MacPro 2009 4,1 firmware upgraded to 5,1. It has a GTX 1080Ti GPU. I have a 27 LED Cinema Display (1 display port) and a LG 5K Ultrafine. I am using a Gigabyte Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3 card inside my MacPro to connect to the LG 5K Ultrafine.

My MacPro does not support Thunderbolt so it does not have the thunderbolt header of course. So I do not expect to have speakers, usb and webcam working. Thats fine.

Under Windows 10 everything works perfect. I get full 5K resolution on the LG 5K Ultrafine using the Alpine Ridge and 2 DP cables. And the 2 monitors look really cool side by side. (Picture attached). Both monitors work perfect. Of course I dont have speakers usb or webcam on the LG5K because my MacPro does not support thunderbolt.

On the MacOS (10.13.6) side however things are not so smooth. When I boot up I can see the gray screen the apple loading and as soon as I get to the login screen the monitor goes black. I tried booting with just the LG 5K. I tried using just 1 DP cable. I tried booting with just the Led Cinema Display (that works) and then connecting the Monitor after login in but I never get an image on the LG5K and the computer just gets real slow. Like its about to detect the display but gets disconnected and again and again. weird.

I tried applying the kext patches on the Mac. But since I dont have clover I just put the Nvidia5K Kexts in the /System/Library/Extensions folder using KextDrop and I cleaned the kextcache (not in clover efi folder since I dont have clover on a real mac).

Also I added boot arguments using the terminal command sudo nvram boot-args="slide=0 kext-dev-mode=1 keepsyms=1 -ngfxnoaudio -ngfxnoaudiocon ngfxpatch=pikera nv_createDetailedTimingsFromEdid=1"

I know they are supposed to be clover boot arguments but again I don't have clover

I don't know what else I can do. It works beautifully under Windows I hope I can get 5K resolution under Mac too. If anybody here has any insight or any way to help me use the LG5K with the nvidia card on my mac that would be awesome. Even if I dont get 5K if I can just use 1 DP cable and get 4K that would be progress. Thank u so much!

Attachments

• IMG_4553.jpg
    IMG_4553.jpg
    883 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_4554.jpg
    IMG_4554.jpg
    958.4 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_4555.jpg
    IMG_4555.jpg
    869.4 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
OH ****!! IT WORKS!! I reinstalled the latest kexts using KextDrop, cleaned my kextcache and did the boot-args again according to Aerror post but for my mac ( sudo nvram boot-args="
slide=0 dart=0 npci=0x2000 kext-dev-mode=1 keepsyms=1 -ngfxnoaudio -ngfxnoaudiocon ngfxpatch=pikera -liludbgall nv_createDetailedTimingsFromEdid=1" )

Wooooohoooo!!! FULL THUNDERBOLT 5K GREATNESS ON A 9 YEAR OLD MAC PRO! Thank you Aerror!!!

Attachments

• IMG_4558.JPG
    IMG_4558.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 184
  • IMG_4560.JPG
    IMG_4560.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 219
  • IMG_4561.JPG
    IMG_4561.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 223
My MacPro does not support Thunderbolt so it does not have the thunderbolt header of course. So I do not expect to have speakers, usb and webcam working. Thats fine.
If you used a GC-TITAN RIDGE instead of a GC-ALPINE RIDGE then you could get PCIe tunneling over Thunderbolt to work in Windows to support the USB functions of the LG UltraFine 5K display. They will continue to work after a warm boot to macOS. I think sleep/wake is still a problem though.

With the GC-TITAN RIDGE, you can enable USB functionality even from cold boot into macOS using a jumper wire, but Thunderbolt functionality still requires warm boot from Windows.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/testing-tb3-aic-with-mp-5-1.2143042/page-3#post-26680055

Dude this is wild! I’m gonna buy one then.

Right now with the Alpine Ridge in MacOS I can boot from a shutdown, restart and sleep with both the led Cinema Display and the LG5K connected and everything works.

Under Windows I have to unplug the LG5K otherwise I get a black screen after the windows boot screen. So I boot windows with only the Cinema Display. After I log into windows I can plug the LG5K and everything works perfect.

But I definitely gonna buy the Titan Ridge if I can get a Thunderbolt functionality! EPIC!! Thank you @joevt !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back