Nvidia GT740
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi,

Using Mac OS X on Hackintosh since 10.9.x without any issue, I'm encountering a problem since I upgraded to Sierra (From El Capitan to Sierra). Sometimes, but not always, My screen is totally f*cked when I "wake up" if my screen has turned off (Energy Saver). Symptoms are :
  • slow response (mouse, keyboard, ...)
  • black or whites blocks, black or white window contents, and glitches on screen
  • flickering
  • difficult to switch to an application
It does it with or without nvidia drivers. I tried to do a screenshot, we're you can see everything is white. In reality, there was a lot of others glitches, they don't appear on the capture.

When it occurs, I've to kill WindowServer to restore everything :

sudo killall -9 WindowServer

To avoid the issue, I've to use "never" to "turn off screen".
  • Nvidia GT-740 on a GA-Z87MX motherboard.
  • iMac14,1 Profile
  • Intel Core i5 i 4570 3,19 GHz
  • 16 GB memory
Could you help ? If you need more details, feel free to ask.

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2017-02-08 à 20.41.51.png
    Capture d’écran 2017-02-08 à 20.41.51.png
    204.6 KB · Views: 423
I have a Hackintosh with a GT 740 card (from Gigabyte) as well.
I use the screen sleeping function all the time, and it seems there's no such issue like what you encountered...

Btw, I am using the native drivers (no web drivers installed)

Did you do a fresh install or an upgrade?

Did you do a fresh install or an upgrade?
It's a fresh install. I have update it, though.

The machine was built by me in last November, and I installed 10.12.2.
The card worked without the web driver.
After an update to 10.12.3 via AppStore, it's still working as before.

Hi. I buy gigabyte gt 740 for my sierra hackintosh. For me still working well without web driver. My question is : If working well (2k resolution @ 60p) without web driver, i don't need install web driver? don't will better perfomance (FCPX) with web driver?
Thank you.

I have just built my first Hackintosh. Gigabyte z170 with Nvidia EVGA 1060 6GB. Have managed to get everything working over the last week apart from this last issue. Upon coming back from a sleep, screen is messed up. The fix for me is just to pull the cable out of the DisplayPort and put it back - seems to work. Same issue with both Displayports and also the HDMI. Experimented with Darkwake = 0 and =8 but not fix yet...will try anything to 'complete' my build...

Build:
EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB SSC GAMING ACX 3.0
Gigabyte Z170X Ultra-gaming
Ballistix Sport LT 32GB
Samsung 850 SSD 250GB Boot, 960 EVO NVME 500 GB and Barracuda 3TB
Intel i7-6700K
FenVI US WiFI card

Last edited:
We both have a similar build. Have you found a fix yet ?
I implemented the workaround that others have suggested - In settings / Mission Control, set one of the 'Hot Corners' as 'put display to sleep'. When Mac wakes from sleep and has some screen funk going on, I just move mouse to hot corner, screen sleeps and then immediately wakes up 'fixed'. This will work for me until Nvidia update the drivers to fix the issue.

I saw the same issue with my card GTX-1080. I have seen this issue mentioned on the treads before and also on Nvidia's linux forum. From what the Nvidia moderator mentions it's their memory management not swapping correctly.

When I experienced it I tried the recommendation of the quick sleep and awake to some relief. I did find if it happened too many times it became much worse and a reboot was all I could do the speed things up. I think in general Nvidia has sleep and hibernate issues. I don't have any idea how it performs in windows as I don't run it, but the Nvidia forums are full of people with windows issues.

I seem to be experiencing the same problem as the OP on my GTX980. Fresh install of Sierra on Gigabyte Z77X UP TH5 with GTX 980. Killing the WindowServer does seem to fix it too, temporarily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back