Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI Z490 Gaming Edge WiFi
CPU
i7-10700
Graphics
UHD 630
Hi All,

I have High Sierra duel booting on My HP Elite 8300 (i7 3770) currently using a GT1030 Low profile is this is a SFF PC

I wouldn't mind doing a re install with Catalina but I understand this card will not work, I know this PC has the Intel 4000 onboard graphics and I recently installed Catalina on my old Dell Latitude 6430U that has the same graphics chip.

What is the best Radeon alternative that will allow me to upgrade to Catalina? The other option is I just remove the GT1030, I only use this Hackintosh for office, web browsing, youtube etc and do not game on it

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Hi All,

I have High Sierra duel booting on My HP Elite 8300 (i7 3770) currently using a GT1030 Low profile is this is a SFF PC

I wouldn't mind doing a re install with Catalina but I understand this card will not work, I know this PC has the Intel 4000 onboard graphics and I recently installed Catalina on my old Dell Latitude 6430U that has the same graphics chip.

What is the best Radeon alternative that will allow me to upgrade to Catalina? The other option is I just remove the GT1030, I only use this Hackintosh for office, web browsing, youtube etc and do not game on it

Sounds like you need a low profile graphics card, correct?

If so, the only choice I know of is the MSI RX 560 low profile card :

But I have no idea if it is still available. Meanwhile as you know you can just remove the card and use the CPU integrated graphics which is still compatible with Catalina.

As JB007 said the best route may be the HD4000. If you don't mind an older 2013 Nvidia card the K600 has full Catalina support. It's the next best option if HD4000 isn't good enough for your needs. The prices on the MSI RX560 LP are astronomical most everywhere. I've seen one selling for over $240 !

Last edited:
As JB007 said the best route may be the HD4000. If you don't mind an older 2013 Nvidia card the K600 has full Catalina support. It's the next best option if HD4000 isn't good enough for your needs. The prices on the MSI LP are astronomical most everywhere. I've seen one selling for over $240 !

Thank you for the reply guys,

Yes I do have a SFF HP Elite 8300 which is why I need the low profile card, they are pretty hard to come across. What I may end up doing is looking for another Elite 8300, but the next size up which means I will not be so limited. I can then use this as a dedicated Hackintosh as I also run my security camera software on this PC (Win 10)

The other option is that I have a pretty powerful PC I built for my flight Sim Hobby (i5 9600K @ 5Ghz, Asus Z390 - A, 32GB DDR4 & GTX1080 TI) I know with the 1080 TI I would be limited to High Sierra which is a real shame as I am sure it would be a pretty awesome Hackintosh.

I have some food for thought for now and I appreciate your help.

I have just found a Nvidia Quadro K600 LP used for $49.00 CDN

Will this work in Mojave & Catalina?

I have just found a Nvidia Quadro K600 LP used for $49.00 CDN

Will this work in Mojave & Catalina?
I've tested mine on both and it has worked via DP-HDMI adapter cable. Didn't test DVI-I but that will probably work too.

I've tested mine on both and it has worked via DP-HDMI adapter cable. Didn't test DVI-I but that will probably work too.

Cool Thank you,

I see you have an Optiplex 9020, how do you find it ?

Sorry one last question lol,

do you find the Quadro any better than the on-board intel 4000 graphics?

Sorry one last question lol,

do you find the Quadro any better than the on-board intel 4000 graphics?
It depends on what you're doing. For some CAD work it's certainly way better. If you need to run dual monitors, it gives you that option. I know from owning the 8300 SFF that you only get one DP output on the back panel. VGA doesn't work.

For general usage I can't see any major advantages to going with the quadro over HD4000. You could try the HD4000 first and see how it works for your needs. Then decide whether you want a discrete card like the K600.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back