Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've resorted to just installing my old GTX 780 (can run with the native drivers too) in the second PCI-E slot via DisplayPort and dropping the speed down to PCI-E 1x; so I can keep my other PCI-E 1x slot that runs my WiFi/BT4 card for iMessage/handoff active. Not a big deal since I don't do any gaming on the Mac side. I couldn't deal with the choppy 24Hz/30Hz 3840x2160 limitation of the IGPU. My GTX 1080 sits in the main PCI-E 16x slot connected by HDMI, so I just switch the input on the monitor.

That's a great idea, how does the other card affect your Win install? So I could get like a GT 710 or whatever for OSX if I don't need any graphically demanding apps on that side?

Unless you've read something I didn't, I don't think the return of NVIDIA GPUs will come in the generation to be released on Oct 27. Some Apple internal sources even mentioned Polaris-based MBPs to be announced this fall. Only hope on Oct27 might be if they release a new tower-based MacPro. Other than that, I see the NVIDIA return happening in another future generation, just not now.

Of course, this doesn't exclude that NVIDIA could release Pascal drivers when they update web drivers to 10.12.1.

No one really knows to be honest, but recent job listings from nVidia asking for Apple Metal developers and the upcoming Macs, there is hope for Apple + nVidia relationship.

Also Apple is still supporting the 5,1 Mac which is the last Mac that has upgradeability, so it's highly likely Pascal drivers will come sooner or later.

Just trying to keep you guys updated that's all :)

Stay positive :)

Hi

@izo1 , can I use an displayport to minidisplayport adapter (see the picture please)?
I have an old 6870 AMD and want to change this card to an actual geforce card and I use a 27" apple cinema display (no thunderbolt)

thx and greetings from vienna
Franky

ps: sorry for my bad english

It should work. Give it a try.

I use a 27" Apple Cinema Display with the iGPU and switch between the GTX1080 without an issue. (I just use MiniDisplayport to Displayport like your adapter).

The only time the display might not come alive is when it goes to sleep but I disabled sleep since there's issues with the HD530 and sleep. Also sometimes I have to hard reset sometimes if the display doesn't come on due to iGPU being weird.

Hey,
I'm using a Intel 4000 and a GTX 1070 on my Asrock H77m itx board with i7-3770. I have read this post since the beginning and read about use under Mac OS X the Intel GPU and under Windows the GTX 10X0. A week or so ago my Setup was semi-perfect, I was able to boot both systems with switching the cable and the bios settings (primary integrated graphics/pci-e).

-->Now the Problem: after a new installation of Windows 10, i don't get a video signal from the intel 4000, when I set the right bios settings.

When I remove the GTX 1070, the video signal comes clear from the onboard HDMI. (Under Mac OS X, I get full graphics support for the Intel 4000.)
The problem begins on the boot, so before clover is shown.
What I'm doing wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_4934.JPG
    IMG_4934.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 176
Last edited:
It should work. Give it a try.

I use a 27" Apple Cinema Display with the iGPU and switch between the GTX1080 without an issue. (I just use MiniDisplayport to Displayport like your adapter).

The only time the display might not come alive is when it goes to sleep but I disabled sleep since there's issues with the HD530 and sleep. Also sometimes I have to hard reset sometimes if the display doesn't come on due to iGPU being weird.

hi and thank you for your feedback. sleep is also disabled on my computer, make little troubles.
but now is better i wait for the next 2 weeks and look what apple bring in the new books :)

Hopefully 'whether or not there are any new Macs with Pascal GPUs' won't be the sole criterion determining MacOS Pascal support. I'm sure there are many professionals using Hackintosh (who also have MacBooks etc) that want both Titan XP's and Sierra. I think it would be a mistake on the part of both parties to end support for one another.

hi and thank you for your feedback. sleep is also disabled on my computer, make little troubles.
but now is better i wait for the next 2 weeks and look what apple bring in the new books :)

The best thing I can say about Hackintoshes is, if it works fine, LEAVE IT AND DON'T MESS WITH IT :)

I highly recommend getting a second hard drive or cost effective SSD and cloning your working macOS drive with CloneZilla (free, make a bootable disk) and then turn off the power cable on the cloned SSD/HDD. If you ever have trouble you can clone back from the "clone" drive.

Also use Time Machine with an internal/external drive to keep your files backed up just in case.

Doing the above saved me twice during real world work scenarios.

I also have a MacBook Pro for side work and emergencies.

Bummer, October and still nothing. Its getting harder to find 9 series cards and its a major bummer as the 10 series really seems more robust.

I have 2x28"x4k monitors I want to drive and I don't play games, its purely a work machine so I am guessing the 960, or a 950 might also work. I found the 950's still available for $150 at the local micro-center. Sounds like a plan.
http://www.microcenter.com/product/453264/GeForce_GTX_950_GAMING_2GB_GDDR5_Short-Board_Video_Card

Looking to put this on a GIGABYTE GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 motherboard..

$150 for 950.... isnt that almost the launch price of the 1050Ti?

I have both cards (1070 and HD4600) active, and the displays connected to the 4600. On linux I can use the 1070 for computations but I would really like to switch back to macOS for that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back