Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well folks, looks like Tim Cook & Co. took a dump on our hackintosh parade of goodness.

I haven't booted up mine since I built a new box with windows 10, gtx 1070 and a sweet m.2 nvme SSD. It's gotta be the fastest box i've ever had. It is hackintosh ready, but it's not looking like we're going to get any drivers anytime soon, maybe post pascal. Bummer.

A noob question: I know there is no way to use 1070 for display. But does a 1070 still help in video editing with Final Cut Pro?

Well and it's likely we might not be able to boot macOS in later versions due to ARM co-processor support at some point in the future. Looks like the first move to ARM. I know the article backpedals and such but -come on- Apple did this from 68K to PPC to Intel.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/02/01/macs-arm-based-chips-low-power-functions/

Well folks, looks like Tim Cook & Co. took a dump on our hackintosh parade of goodness.

I haven't booted up mine since I built a new box with windows 10, gtx 1070 and a sweet m.2 nvme SSD. It's gotta be the fastest box i've ever had. It is hackintosh ready, but it's not looking like we're going to get any drivers anytime soon, maybe post pascal. Bummer.

No with out the driver you can't use CUDA.

A noob question: I know there is no way to use 1070 for display. But does a 1070 still help in video editing with Final Cut Pro?

Here is what is confusing and odd... If you buy a Tesla p100 (like I was considering) the CUDA driver for Mac will attempt to treat it like a GPU capable of display. It's not even clear if the driver for a Tesla will work since it has NO display output.

At the end of the day it's clear, Nvidia doesn't handle mac and probably wont for the foreseeable future. They don't even test on it any more in all likelihood.

No with out the driver you can't use CUDA.

FCP X does not utilize CUDA cores so even if there were Mac drivers for the 1070 it's still not better than a MacOS optimized AMD card i.e. Polaris. These use OpenCL. We don't have full support for those AMD cards but it seems to be getting better as Sierra gets incremental updates. The 8GB RX480 is about the best you can do right now.

If you want to use a 1070 with Premiere Pro and Windows 10 that is a good arrangement for an editing system. Would certainly run rings around a CustoMac with an AMD card.

Last edited:
No driver = no acceleration, resulting in no dGPU support for FCPX.

Thanks for all the answers. Maybe I should switch to AMD or just pick up a refurbished 5K iMac. I would really love to stick with Windows 10 but I would rather buy a new mac + FCPX than paying $30/month for Adobe Premiere Pro..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back