Contribute
Register

NVIDIA GeForce GT 430, GTS 450, GTX 550Ti, GT 620, GT 630 Graphics Cards Issues in Mountain Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article: NVIDIA GeForce GT 430, GTS 450, GTX 550Ti, GT 620, GT 630 Graphics Cards Issues in Mountain Lion

liapower, and any one whom concern, here is the fix from our friend (vcZilla) as he wrote:

This time it's final! (At least I hope).

I don't know where to start. OK, let me make a quick recap for people joining in on the fun. Apple released a 10.8.2 update to OS X which (re-)screws everything in regard to system stability for us fermi owners.

The just released nvidia driver doesn't install out of the box. I provided a somewhat incomplete solution to force it to work earlier in this forum
but for some reason I didn't think of checking that OpenCL worked besides launching OceanWave.
And indeed it soon became apparent that LuxMark didn't work and just rendered a white screen.
As I surmised earlier it was probably because OpenCL.framework had been also updated by the 10.8.2 update and needed a rollback.

For your convenience I'm gonna re-post the entire solution corrected for that problem. Sorry to those who already applied the fix, but read on there's a fix for the fix at the end. The next part is an almost verbatim copy and paste of my previous post save for two added lines to take care of that pesky OpenCL problem. If you already applied the previous fix just skip to the part after the ### mark.

Also I originally didn't notice this but when the 'sudo ditto ...' command is run it prints 'sudo: unable to initialize PAM: No such file or directory'. Don't pay any attention to it, the file was copied just fine.

So the first step of course is to backup everything (by default to your home folder, if you want it somewhere else just replace the tilde sign (~) in the command by a folder of your choosing):

Code:
sudo cp -R /System/Library/{Extensions/{GeForce*,NVDA*},Frameworks/{OpenGL.framework,OpenCL.framework},PrivateFrameworks/GPUSupport.framework} ~
Then you'll have to install nvidia's pkg as usual, DO NOT reboot once it's done.

Next download the zip archive named nvidia_10.8.2.zip attached at the end of the post, unzip it somewhere (it will expand to a folder named nvidia_10.8.2), open a terminal, run these commands (don't forget to replace /folder_where_I_unzipped_the_archive by the name of the folder in which you extracted the archive):

Code:
cd /folder_where_I_unzipped_the_archive/nvidia_10.8.2
sudo rm -r /System/Library/{Frameworks/{OpenGL.framework,OpenCL.framework},PrivateFrameworks/GPUSupport.framework}
sudo ditto --hfsCompression OpenGL.framework /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework
sudo ditto --hfsCompression OpenCL.framework /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework
sudo ditto --hfsCompression GPUSupport.framework /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/GPUSupport.framework
sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/{Frameworks/{OpenGL.framework,OpenCL.framework},PrivateFrameworks/GPUSupport.framework}
And that's it. No need to rebuild your kernel cache since the nvidia's installer took care of that.

Now what all this does is reinstall some frameworks (OpenCL.framework, OpenGL.framework and GPUSupport.framework) from the 10.8.1 release because they are a dependency of /System/Library/Extensions/GeForceGLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/GeForceGLDriver which is the OpenGL driver.

If you want some OpenCL goodness, you'll have to apply this patch (for more info about this, read my earlier post on the subject):

Code:
sudo perl -p -i.old -e '$c+=s/\x8b\x81\x1c\x0c\x00\x00\xeb\x06\x8b\x81\x20\x0c\x00\x00/\xb8\x02\x00\x00\x00\x90\xeb\x06\xb8\x00\x00\x00\x00\x90/; END { printf "%s: %d substitution%s made.\n",($c==1 ? "Success" : "Error"),$c,(!$c || $c>1 ? "s" : ""); $?=($c!=1); } ' /System/Library/Extensions/GeForceGLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/libclh.dylib
###
For people who applied the partial fix posted earlier. Download the attachment named opencl_fix.zip at the end of this post.

Then make a backup of your original OpenCL.framework, as earlier this command save the framework to your home folder, just change the tilde to where you want it to be saved:

Code:
sudo cp -R /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework ~
And finally unzip the archive somewhere, and run these commands (don't forget to replace /folder_where_I_unzipped_the_archive by the name of the folder in which you extracted the archive):

Code:
cd /folder_where_I_unzipped_the_archive/opencl_fix
sudo rm -r /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework
sudo ditto --hfsCompression OpenCL.framework /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework
sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework
And that's it for now. I hope I didn't forget something (again). Also as noted earlier this is not a perfect solution, there are still problems with WebGL and Safari (or Opera Next and hardware acceleration if you swing that way).

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...nvidia-550ti-sleep-wake-freeze-thread-83.html

@abou_hafs

Thanks for the Info! i'm waiting for my new SSD Drive! then i will give a tray on this. I'm sure it will work as (vcZilla) does a better job then Apple or nVidia!

Thanks and full Respect to (vcZilla)!

cheers

i confirm to you, it's working as a charm

Article: NVIDIA GeForce GT 430, GTS 450, GTX 550Ti, GT 620, GT 630 Graphics Cards Issues in Mountain Lion

Well good's news people, I find what it's causing the problem: Is the GeForceGLDriver.bundle, more Specific the file GeForceGLDriver on it. Make a right click on GeForceGLDriver.bundle and select "Show package content" and go to: "Contents->MacOS>GeForceGLDriver".

The good new is that i get my card fully working and in theory have to works with all the Fermi cards that have Problems.

Here's some notes:

-For get full resolution you have to make a backup of your files "GeForce.kext & GeForceGLDriver.bundle" and install the same Lion 10.7.4 kexts restart mountain lion and when mountain lion start again choose your best resolution(If you don't can start Mountain Lion after installing the kexts, start in safe mode on chameleon Bootloader: -v -x). With the Lion kexts you don't have Full Graphics Acceleration So you have to install the next kexts after you change the best resolution. :)

-After you choose the best resolution Install this modify version of the Mountain Lion "GeForce.kext & GeForceGLDriver.bundle" edited by me with Full Graphics Acceleration: http://cl.ly/3A432l3W253t

Please leave your comments if this work for you.

PD: Everything works fine for me on my GTS 450 1GB GDDR5

Update: I try playing StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty and works ok, and iTunes and VLC Works fine too. :)

I'm doing this right now, i let you know what happen

10.8.2 ML update has already this driver... I downloaded it, when i tried to install, it warns me "No Driver Update Needed" This system already has drivers .. bla bla...

Same for me 10.8.2 ML update has already this driver... I downloaded it, when i tried to install, it warns me "No Driver Update Needed" This system already has drivers etc etc. Did any one tried after upgrade to fix the problem?

Ciao SergioTeo. The fix that you proposed did not work for me. I sign the password and it gives me the login page again. I had to recreate my HD (thanks God i had a backUp). Anyway when i use the kext from 10.7.4 i can change resolution BUT i cannot play any games. They instantly crash. Good try however!!
Asus MB and GT 440 VC

Update is enough for basic needs.. But HDMI and dual screen needs some fixes.. but how i don't know, i'm working on it. if i could find a way how to fix it i will share.. if anybody could find, please share with us.

The same problem. GT 430 1024MB. I get it when i change the source of my TV and turn back on PC i get blue screen on my Mountain Lion. Also after sleep got the squares shown o pic. HELP! :D
Motherboard: GIGABYTE G41MT-S2PT

The last update from NVIDIA (304.00.05f02 Web Release) fixed my problem with changing resolution (no blue screen). My video card is EVGA GT 440!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back