Contribute
Register

Nvidia drivers - freeze at login screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
AFAIK there's exactly one NVidia version per MacOS version, they are linked on this this site. Clover version is whatever was in those EFI folders, with whatever theme someone once liked. But I don't think either of these are key.

When it worked it involved both nvda_drv=1 as a boot option, and also written to nvram before rebooting.

The other thing was where to place kexts. They can go in /Library/Extensions/ or something (sorry, from memory) _or_ they can go inside EFI folder, and are then injected by Clover. My current understanding is that mixing these is a recipe for chaos, and that you should inject everything -- move anything hackintosh from /L/E/.

But, of course, take this with a lot of salt, coming from a guy whose machine doesn't work!

Hi everyone.
Did you fix it, please?
I'm in the same situation with the 1060...
Thanks

Hi,

I didn't fix yet personally. But, I'm sure now that this is a NVRAM issue.
I erased High Sierra partition, to install a fresh new Sierra 10.12.6 OS, to compare.
After some little problems (no ethernet, invisible audio ports,...), Sierra is now working well. BUT, the 1060 GTX card is still not recognized after installing the Nvidia Web Driver corresponding and booting with.
By taping : "nvram nvda_drv" in Terminal, it returns an error because this variable doesn't exist. So I created it in Terminal, equals to "1" to force booting with Nvidia Web Driver. Reboot. Either a freeze, or booting without the driver and still being in 1280x1024 with glitches.
There : "nvram nvda_drv" in Terminal returns nothing again than an error because the last command was not recorded in NVRAM.plist after rebooting... And of course, adding "nvda_drv=1" in boot arguments in config.plist didn't affect something, I tried everything.

So guys I'm still looking for a solution. As soon as I can test again the process, I will tell you.
I found a French forum with someone in the exact same situation (with another GPU), I have to finish to learn how he fixed it (because he actually did it).
Here is the topic :
http://forum.macbidouille.com/index.php?s=a39633afa1d18d4d44c166175764615a&showtopic=402915&st=0

You can translate it I think, but I'm French too so I'll be able to explain you later when I have more time.

See ya.

Last edited:
That sounds promising, will take a look at this french thread when I have a minute.

The nvram behaviour sounds similar to mine. If I write random numbers to made-up test variables, these survive a reboot... but nvda_drv does not.

I also tried Sierra, except I think I did 10.12.5 because somewhere someone had success with that. But it was no different at all.

I am able to get 1920x1200, which is my monitor's resolution... right now my working solution is not to use any electron apps, as these seem to have much worse glitches than real old mac desktop apps.

The French link ended up being "use an HDMI cable instead of a DVI cable". Tried that, no dice.

I think I'm just going to return this 1060 and get an RX 580. No one seems to have a legit solution.

I think I'm just going to return this 1060 and get an RX 580. No one seems to have a legit solution.
I did it. Now very happy with the 580 from Gigabyte. Same price.
Works OOB.
I think the problem is 1060 gpu core.
With 1070 and 1080 no problem.

The French link ended up being "use an HDMI cable instead of a DVI cable". Tried that, no dice.

It is not simply a type of cable apparently, because he uses an adapter for one of his screen (HDMI to DVI), which creates some issue of sleep when web drivers are activated.

Anyway the guy uses a GTX980 then a GTX1080Ti, I'm pretty sure that we are not concerned by his problem of DVI/HDMI compatibility with the driver. But, the NVRAM symptoms are identical and that was bringing my attention.

I forgot to mention a difference between my High Sierra and Sierra installation. When I try to activate (force ?) Web Drivers, here are the resumed situations :
>> In High Sierra, I was able to boot (loading bar until half of length) then it loads the login screen (with sessions) and I was stuck in a flashing loop whenever I click or tap something. But there were graphic accelerations (kind of, I guess, full resolution anyway) and my two screens : the first one is on a DVI>HDMI adapter (via DVI port) with an HDMI cable, the other one is in the HDMI port directly.
>> Now in Sierra, in the Apple logo screen the bar can't even load entirely. In verbose mode it is stuck in :
"IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs 0, now 0, sm 0x0"
(the line just before to have the login screen usually)

Maybe in both cases it finally uses well the boot flag nvda_drv, but it's stuck when using the driver.
Really, are we definitely condemned with our GTX1060 model ? It's not magic, there must be a solution to fix this problem of driver, or VRAM, or something else.... But what command, clover setting, ".kext" should we use or modify ? Come on ! :(

I'm really angry against those who wrote "GTX 1060" as a matching card for hackintosh in the online list of hardware, by reading now all the issues of people who have it. I have been deceived.

Greetings

Thanks for the update. Indeed I'm frustrated that all these cards are listed as compatible...

Now very happy with the 580 from Gigabyte. Same price.
Works OOB.
I think the problem is 1060 gpu core.
With 1070 and 1080 no problem.

In my case the entire point was to have CUDA locally, so this wasn't an option.

I'm really angry against those who wrote "GTX 1060" as a matching card for hackintosh in the online list of hardware, by reading now all the issues of people who have it. I have been deceived.

Agreed. Who do we need to talk to in order to report the incompatibility and get it pulled from the build list?

I sent my 1060 back today and ordered a 580. After spending 8 hours working on the NVRAM with no luck, I'm convinced this problem is out of my league.

The same here. I will buy one 580 too in second-hand (they become rare in shops and expensive to import here).
But I have been looking for a solution for about 1 month now ('cause it's my first hack, counting the other issues who we have). Yes I'm enough patient...
I don't know who we have to contact to remove the GTX1060's series. Even it's working for some few people here, it's not reliable at all.

I will of course tell you if I can finally have a fully functional hack in a few days (or not ! ;) ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back