Contribute
Register

Nvidia Drivers for Mojave 10.14 Not Available, no WorkAround works well

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just read on the Nvidia devs forum, drivers for Mojave 10.14 ARE CONFIRMED, but they don't have an ETA yet
https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/...rivers-be-released-for-macos-mojave-10-14-/58

So, all the stories about Apple not approving their drivers were false.

The AMD exclusive story was false.

The fact is, Nvidia still doesn't have web drivers ready and are still developing them.

Maybe they finally hired someone from those job postings someone saw back in December.

Last edited:
It might not have been an issue of just "approving" the drivers, but for Apple to provide the necessary sources for Mojave in order for Nvidia to implement certain aspects of their driver. I still believe Apple has been the bottleneck here. Nvidia has always been quick to release support in the past, and they ultimately care about doing so as it directly affects their customers.

Nvidia have been busy in other areas where there is actually some reasonable revenue for them. macOS is a very small part of Nvidia business.

We saw first hand similar slow development of Apple drivers for new hardware when Nvidia released Pascal - It was a long 8 month wait to get buggy drivers.

It is odd that the first new model GPUs fall into similar price points as the old models did at the height of the mining fiasco and now Nvidia is coming under fire from investors for not being able to keep sales and profits at this record high level. It does seem as if consumers are paying increased retail prices on the top tier cards to fill in lost mining revenue

So, all the stories about Apple not approving their drivers were false.

The AMD exclusive story was false.

The fact is, Nvidia still doesn't have web drivers ready and are still developing them.

Maybe they finally hired someone from those job postings someone saw back in December.

I have a feeling Apple isn't as innocent in this as you seem to believe.

Perhaps they do have the drivers and Apple refused to sign them (maybe due to a supposed amd exclusivity contract) That did expire and Apple still refused to sign the drivers. Apple wants x,y,z done to the drivers before they sign them. That might be why they are suddenly claiming to work together on them.

Although, the only evidence I have is their complete lack of silence response -- especially after the founder of Red called them out requesting support for Nvidia.

Last edited:

Perhaps they do have the drivers and Apple refused to sign them (maybe due to a supposed amd exclusivity contract) That did expire and Apple still refused to sign the drivers. Apple wants x,y,z done to the drivers before they sign them. That might be why they are suddenly claiming to work together on them.

Although, the only evidence I have is their complete lack of silence -- especially after the founder of Red called them out requesting support for Nvidia.

Can you explain the “lack of silence”? Do you mean that Apple has been silent?

I haven’t heard anything from Apple on this matter is there any official response from Apple that you have read? Can you post it?

I misspoke. I guess I tried to combine lack of a response and silence :/ I meant Apple's complete silence. Sorry for the confusion

Although, the only evidence I have is their complete lack of silence response -- especially after the founder of Red called them out requesting support for Nvidia.

If I sold video cards and Apple refused to sign my drivers, I would tell them to go #$%& themselves and just released them unsigned. I would definitely not comply and hurt my own business. Why would anyone be so stupid as to damage their own business to satisfy the wishes of an entirely unrelated company with whom they currently have no business dealings with?

If the tools/libraries/APIs were not ready and I were unable to create the drivers, that's an entirely different story and I would immediately convey that to my customers. This would be a legitimate cause to petition Apple.

If there were any specific code within macOS that blocked my drivers from working, I would sue Apple for everything they're worth.

What would Apple possibly have to say about someone else's products/drivers? They've never been responsible for Nvidia web drivers or Cuda before and they never will be in the future. Mojave includes drivers for Macs that shipped with Nvidia GPUs. They've fulfilled their responsibilities. Those who have been around long enough and have used Nvidia web drivers and Apple's built-in drivers with Kepler cards know that the two sets of drivers are not the same and, even back then, the Nvidia web drivers tended to be buggier than the built-in drivers.

Last edited:
Perhaps they don't want to sour an already tenuous relationship in hopes that they could work together in the future. An order from Apple would dwarf what they could make selling to people who disable SIP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back