Contribute
Register

Nvidia Drivers for Mojave 10.14 Not Available, no WorkAround works well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for the info Gogeta-Blue

so in other words, a Kepler NVIDIA card or any AMD card?

Would either of the options be plug and play?

the other question is whether NVIDIA will release a driver for Mojave?

Personally, I think the most "Compatible" video card out there is a used FirePro W7000 card (roughly $200). It is a commonly available 4GB, single slot, 4 Display Port Workstation card that is compatible with every mountain themed version of MacOS as well as Mojave. Performance is between an RX560 and an RX570 card. Functionally, it is equal to the D300 cards that came stock on the "trashcan" macs but it is clocked 50Hz faster than the D300.

RX570s are a better buy if your case and power supply can handle them but the W7000 is more compatible with multiple versions of os X. The W7000 is also the most powerful single slot GPU for under $200. It is likely faster than the newer/smaller/128bit WX4100

Just found a W7000 through Google shopping for $100. I am buying one now.

Last edited:
Thank you for your help guys.

I'm digging the dark mode in Mojave but I think I might just try go back to high Sierra for the time being...

Personally, I think the most "Compatible" video card out there is a used FirePro W7000 card (roughly $200). It is a commonly available 4GB, single slot, 4 Display Port Workstation card that is compatible with every mountain themed version of MacOS as well as Mojave. Performance is between an RX560 and an RX570 card. Functionally, it is equal to the D300 cards that came stock on the "trashcan" macs but it is clocked 50Hz faster than the D300.

RX570s are a better buy if your case and power supply can handle them but the W7000 is more compatible with multiple versions of os X. The W7000 is also the most powerful single slot GPU for under $200. It is likely faster than the newer/smaller/128bit WX4100

Just found a W7000 through Google shopping for $100. I am buying one now.

In terms of bang-for-buck and compatibility, I think Vega 56es are really great right now. Brand new examples can be found for ~$270 now.

About a month or two back, I got a used Red Dragon Vega 56 with Samsung HBM for $260 and it's really very powerful, albeit at the expense of high power consumption.

The one issue that makes me a little apprehensive about recommending it is that both @mm2margaret and I couldn't get video through HDMI. Use DisplayPort and it's completely plug-n-play.

the only nvidia cards supported on mojave are the kepler cards
which are old models

they do not require web drivers

but like i already mentioned , they are old cards
really not worth it unless you want to save some money

you already have a good graphic card
but is useless on mac os

the good news is that you can get a kepler card for cheap on ebay

the best card you can get is the 780

or simply get an AMD card but it will cost more than an old kepler card

i already have a RTX 2080 and i have the money to buy a radeon vii

but i'm waiting a few months to see if AMD release something new similar or better than the Radeon vii
Will the AMD Rx570 plug and play? Or does it need customisation?

Will the AMD Rx570 plug and play? Or does it need customisation?

@Juicesif,

There are very few GPU cards that are fully "plug and play" on a Hackingtosh, even officially recommended Sapphire Pulse cards may need some nursing such as correcting the ACPI name (depends on your motherboards DSDT), enabling the "RadeonDeInit" flag (if necessary) and ensuring the correct AMD framebuffer is enabled. Usually installing Lilu + WhatEverGreen will automate these tasks for you and get most AMD GPU's up and running without any further work.

Depending on the OEM's implementation and how far it deviates from AMD's reference design, it may be necessary to do further tweaks to get all of the ports working correctly.

See the Radeon Compatibility Guide for more info :-

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
If you are buying a video card today for use with macOS, I feel it would be foolish to invest in a Kepler card. I think the last Macs that shipped with a Kepler card was around 2014 and I have a feeling native macOS support could end sooner rather then later.
i agree but i only recommend the kepler card if the person have a tight budget or simply just want the card as a temporary solution untill the person saves the money to buy a better card

but if the person can get a 580 for the same price of a 780 then go for the AMD card

you can get a 780 for around 60 dollars while the 580 can go for 150 to 200 used

it all depends , if you have the money for a new card then buy a AMD card

trust me is very hard for me to say that but is the truth
i been or was a Nvidia guy all my life until Nvidia decided to stab all their costumers in the back

after contacting costumer support everything became crystal clear
right now i have the money to buy a radeon vii but there is a big rumor that AMD already discontinued the Radeon vii

so i'm just waiting to see if AMD come out with something like radeon viii

the new 5000 series are good overall but the radeon vii is better

i honestly don't care about nvidia and web drivers any more
i'm just waiting for AMD next card and Catalina
most likely those new AMD 5000 series card will work on Catalina

so i have many choices

i'm not going to rush, i already have the money so all i have to do is wait a little
then i will pull the trigger

after i get the new AMD card

i will sell my nice looking and powerfull but useless RTX 2080 in ebay
the card is basically or technically new
because it spent more than 80% of its life inside a drawer

Last edited:
For those on a tight budget, RX 560s can be found on eBay for $60 or less now. I've had two different RX 560s and both were plug-n-play.

For those on a tight budget, RX 560s can be found on eBay for $60 or less now. I've had two different RX 560s and both were plug-n-play.
hi pastrychef trust me i know AMD works better on Mac OS and now more than ever
but there are some AMD cards that need some tweaking in clover to get them to work
while most kepler cards are just natively supported
plug & play
you don't even need to apply the nvidia flag or use lilu nor whatevergreen kext

i had a friend with a 560 and i made it work
but i had to do some tweaking in clover, at least at that timne
maybe it was just that spefic model that is known to happen

i only mentioned the kepler card because the user asked about mojave web drivers
and they only nvidia cards that works on mojave are the kepler cards
yes they are old and yes the AMD might be better
but if the person can't find a 560 then it can try to get a 780

the point here is to have acceleration and a working GPU in Mojave

me personally i would not spend too much money on old hardware
i can use an old card just as temporary solution until the new monster arrive

but there are some AMD cards that need some tweaking in clover to get them to work
plug & play

Must've been a while ago...

On Mojave, I've worked with two different RX 560s, RX 580, two different Vegas, and Radeon VII. None have required any tweaking of Clover. Some of them even work fine without WhateverGreen.

plug & play

i only mentioned the kepler card because the user asked about mojave web drivers
and they only nvidia cards that works on mojave are the kepler cards
yes they are old and yes the AMD might be better
but if the person can't find a 560 then it can try to get a 780

the point here is to have acceleration and a working GPU in Mojave

me personally i would not spend too much money on old hardware
i can use an old card just as temporary solution until the new monster arrive

Hi Gogeta-Blue, i went out and bought an rx570 today.. I checked the radeondeinit in clover configurator and installed the lilu and whatevergreen kexts in the other folder..

I am getting black screen after the bar reaches 2/3 way on the apple logo screen.

Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back