Contribute
Register

Nvidia Drivers for Mojave 10.14 Not Available, no WorkAround works well

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are articles out there now saying that Nvidia will be dropping support for their Kepler cards soon. They mention the mobile cards at first. If they kill off driver support it may affect Apple drivers for newer programs.??? Let’s hope Apple doesn’t drop the only Nvidia cards we can use in the next version of software 10.15.
yes those kepler cards are our only salvation for now
because they are a cheap , so we don't have to spend too much money to get a temporary replacement
unless the person wants to switch to AMD

I can easily buy a 580 if I want to,
but that is exactly the reason why I don't buy one, because I don't want to
no disrespect to AMD users but I don't like AMD
yes I understand they work exceptionally well on Mac OS but still I don't like the brand
like a said before, I don't mean no disrespect
please don't take my comment personal or like some kind of attack to AMD
that is not my intention, the same way there are many AMD owners that don't like NVIDIA cards
for whatever reason, so is all good

I already own a 2080 I just regret not waiting another 2 weeks to get the 2080ti
and I'm not going to spend 300 on a 580, when I could it have bought the 2080 ti
if I would have spend 300 more, so if I didn't spend 300 more to the 2080 ti
I'm not going to spend 300 on a AMD 580
that's why I decided to get a cheap old card as long as is supported on mojave
the 740 kepler card is serving it's purpose for now

most likely those kepler card will not survive the next Mac OS update, meaning 10.15
but it will be nice if they do, in case we need them as a temporary replacement
but honestly if we don't have web drivers by 10.15
I will have to come up with another solution, I really like powerful video cards
windows is ok for gaming but that's about it, apple is just lucky that I love Mac OS
but this whole situation about web drivers got out of hand a long time ago

it seems like apple is going to execute order 66

Not according to Everymac.com The 2013 and 2014 Core i7 MBPs have versions with Nvidia dedicated graphics. I would be really surprised if Apple dropped support for 2013 and 2014 model year Macs in 2019. 2012 Macs may well be supported in the next macOS 10.15. That is my hope anyway.

MacBook Pro Subfamily Video Card VRAM
"Core i7" 2.4 15" Early 2013 HD Graphics 4000
GeForce GT 650M*
1 GB*
"Core i7" 2.7 15" Early 2013 HD Graphics 4000
GeForce GT 650M*
1 GB*
"Core i7" 2.8 15" Early 2013 HD Graphics 4000
GeForce GT 650M*
1 GB*
"Core i5" 2.4 13" Late 2013 Iris 5100 1.5 GB†
"Core i5" 2.6 13" Late 2013 Iris 5100 1.5 GB†
"Core i7" 2.8 13" Late 2013 Iris 5100 1.5 GB†
"Core i7" 2.0 15" IG Late 2013 Iris Pro 5200 1.5 GB†
"Core i7" 2.3 15" IG Late 2013 Iris Pro 5200 1.5 GB†
"Core i7" 2.6 15" IG Late 2013 Iris Pro 5200 1.5 GB†
"Core i7" 2.3 15" DG Late 2013 Iris Pro 5200
GeForce GT 750M*
2 GB*
"Core i7" 2.6 15" DG Late 2013 Iris Pro 5200
GeForce GT 750M*
2 GB*
"Core i5" 2.4 13" Mid-2014 Iris 5100 1.5 GB†
"Core i5" 2.6 13" Mid-2014 Iris 5100 1.5 GB†
"Core i7" 2.8 13" Mid-2014 Iris 5100 1.5 GB†
"Core i7" 2.0 15" IG Mid-2014 Iris Pro 5200 1.5 GB†
"Core i7" 2.3 15" IG Mid-2014 Iris Pro 5200 1.5 GB†
"Core i7" 2.6 15" IG Mid-2014 Iris Pro 5200 1.5 GB†
"Core i7" 2.3 15" DG Mid-2014 Iris Pro 5200
GeForce GT 750M*
2 GB*
"Core i7" 2.6 15" DG Mid-2014 Iris Pro 5200
GeForce GT 750M*
2 GB*

10.14 doesn't even officially support 2011 or older models.

I was referring more to the Nvidia driver support and for new software apps. So if they are dropping support then newer apps may not function well. Apple will have to use older drivers for the new apps which may get buggy without Nvidia tech support.
I’m wondering if Nvidia is doing this out of spite for Apple not using them for graphics in their builds.

well is apple remove support for whatever is left of Nvidia cards on their kext drivers
then we are force to move to AMD even if we are Nvidia fans or we are Nvidia owners
I really can't stand windows, I use it just for gaming sometime when a good game comes out
but for everything else I use Mac OS
right now I have the latest version of FCP and the kepler card work exceptionally well
and I do a lot of 4k videos, I really hope than I can still use that kepler card
in 10.15 if Nvidia doesn't come out with web drivers
but I rather have web driver support for my RTX 2080
but at least that 740 is better than nothing, meaning not having acceleration at all
and I didn't have to spend hundreds to finally have acceleration on mojave
while I wait for wait drivers
we are about to hit 10.14.4 very soon
let's see what apple does but I think that they will drop support for kepler in 10.15
really hope that I'm wrong

peace

let's see what apple does but I think that they will drop support for kepler in 10.15
really hope that I'm wrong
Mojave will still be working next year too, just keep using it. Will have full support.
Longer term though Apple won't even be using AMD graphics. They will be making
their own custom CPUs and graphics cards.

Mojave will still be working next year too, just keep using it. Will have full support.
thank you that is also a good alternative just in case of emergency
but no one wants to stay behind, we always like to use the latest os
well at least when it comes to Mac os
that is one rumor that been floating around about apple making their own GPU's
at least I'm running Mojave and not High Sierra
also remember the old story about apple making their own CPU
we just have to wait and see
hopefully Nvidia will come out with web drivers for mojave
pascal support took almost a year

regards

If Apple will make own chips and success, there are a lot of 2019 devices with Intel CPU and AMD/NVIDIA Graphics that should be supported around 5 years.
So, I think next 5 macOS still will be supported by Hackintosh!

So, I think next 5 macOS still will be supported by Hackintosh!
That is what we hope for. There is no law that says that Apple must do this, but they should.
After the Intel transition in 2005/06 PowerPC Macs only had about 2 years of support left.

That is what we hope for. There is no law that says that Apple must do this, but they should.
After the Intel transition in 2005/06 PowerPC Macs only had about 2 years of support left.
I worked with MacBook Pro 2017 with Touch Bar and my mid-level hackintosh build,
I really feel better with Hackintosh build. I wish Apple failed on own chip progress or if success, hackers hack it to run over Intel CPUs too.

yes those kepler cards are our only salvation for now
because they are a cheap , so we don't have to spend too much money to get a temporary replacement
unless the person wants to switch to AMD

I can easily buy a 580 if I want to,
but that is exactly the reason why I don't buy one, because I don't want to
no disrespect to AMD users but I don't like AMD
yes I understand they work exceptionally well on Mac OS but still I don't like the brand
like a said before, I don't mean no disrespect
please don't take my comment personal or like some kind of attack to AMD
that is not my intention, the same way there are many AMD owners that don't like NVIDIA cards
for whatever reason, so is all good

I already own a 2080 I just regret not waiting another 2 weeks to get the 2080ti
and I'm not going to spend 300 on a 580, when I could it have bought the 2080 ti
if I would have spend 300 more, so if I didn't spend 300 more to the 2080 ti
I'm not going to spend 300 on a AMD 580
that's why I decided to get a cheap old card as long as is supported on mojave
the 740 kepler card is serving it's purpose for now

most likely those kepler card will not survive the next Mac OS update, meaning 10.15
but it will be nice if they do, in case we need them as a temporary replacement
but honestly if we don't have web drivers by 10.15
I will have to come up with another solution, I really like powerful video cards
windows is ok for gaming but that's about it, apple is just lucky that I love Mac OS
but this whole situation about web drivers got out of hand a long time ago

it seems like apple is going to execute order 66

You are punishing yourself with your loyalty to nVidia's brand. Ironically, nVidia might be the one behind your elongated dilemma after all. I figured that I've punished myself for long enough with no gain and bought a RX580 that came with two brand new games for free a couple of weeks ago. The deal still stands but I don't know for how much longer.

You should reconsider.

You are punishing yourself with your loyalty to nVidia's brand. Ironically, nVidia might be the one behind your elongated dilemma after all. I figured that I've punished myself for long enough with no gain and bought a RX580 that came with two brand new games for free a couple of weeks ago. The deal still stands but I don't know for how much longer.

You should reconsider.
thanks for your comment and the advice but I have a 740 that works OOTB on Mojave with full acceleration
that one will do just fine for now
buying a RX580 just to use it on Mac is not a good option for me
I already have a RTX 2080 that I can use for gaming on windows and also for 4k encoding

the RX580 is going to work on Mac OS, granted, but is not that good for gaming on windows
also to spend another 300 I would it have bought the 2080 ti
I do understand your point and I know is truth, you are correct

but is not really loyalty but I know it look that way
is just that I like Nvidia cards, I prefer that brand
but I rather spend just 50 dollars on a Nvidia card and have that card just for Mojave until Nvidia come out with web drivers

another problem is the design on those AMD cards
I checked the Vega 56 , the Vega 64 and the frontier edition and I couldn't find one that i like or that matches my system

is bad enough already that I don't like AMD to also spend money on card that I don't like the design
or I have to get a card from a different manufacturer

my previous x99 system was gigabyte and also the card was a Nvidia gigabyte
the board and the card was a perfect match, brand color, everything
now I have a AORUS X299 and also the video card is AORUS "Nvidia" and it matches my system perfectly

I can't get an ASUS card or a EVGA because it will ruin my system
it will no longer match

so I'm being force just to wait for now

I'm not punishing myself really. is not like I'm stuck on HS or I don't have any acceleration on Mojave
I can use the 740 just fine in Mojave with final cut pro
I spend over 6,000 on my build, just the tower alone and I'm not going to waste 300 more on a AMD card

I will regret switching to AMD, if I buy a AMD card then Nvidia come out with web drivers the next day
then I be truly upset, if by the end of the year there are still no web drivers
then I will check if there are any new compatible AORUS AMD cards
probably one with a new design, last time I checked I didn't like none of the ones they had

I only spend money on things that I like
I hate being forced to buy something that I don't like
that is what apple is trying to do

cheers

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back