Contribute
Register

Nvidia Drivers for Mojave 10.14 Not Available, no WorkAround works well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apple did supply Nvidia the tools needed to develop drivers for pre-Mojave OS but we have no idea if Apple provided Nvidia the Metal compliant driver tools and documentations for Mojave. They probably did or did not but Nvidia refused to act on it or dragging their feet. We don't know but we do know that Apple pointed finger at Nvidia and Nvidia pointed finger at Apple.

Well think about this as why Nvidia had to release new driver for EVERY major and minor macOS updates? They could release a driver that will work for all minor updates. So that tells me that Nvidia need permission or signed kext from Apple so Apple has more control on this.

The fact that Nvidia releases new revisions of their drivers for each new macOS release is a design choice.

SmallTree, Sonnet, etc don't release new revisions of their drivers for things like NICs because they choose not to.

What you are saying now is very different from what you previously said. Previously, you said Apple policy is preventing Nvidia from releasing drivers.

Not providing the tools/libraries/API to Nvidia is an entirely different matter. If this were true, then Nvidia would never have been able to develop macOS drivers in the past.

Yes. A policy decision to only partner with AMD as a graphics supplier.

Yes. A policy decision to only partner with AMD as a graphics supplier.

That does not prevent Nvidia from selling video cards to Mac users or developing drivers for macOS.

Apple stopped using Nvidia GPUs a long time ago, why wait until now do anything? Because they can't!

Apple's policy was to only partner with Toshiba and Samsung as suppliers of SSDs for the old MacBook Airs. That didn't prevent OWC from manufacturing their own SSDs for use the MacBook Airs.

I just saw these job listings from Nvidia (see attachment).

It seems they want to develop Metal drivers and haven’t given up on us, but the bad news is that the drivers shouldn’t arrive anytime soon since they are still trying to hire engineers with Metal experience.

Attachments

• Job.PNG
    Job.PNG
    151.9 KB · Views: 346
  • Job2.PNG
    Job2.PNG
    44.4 KB · Views: 311
I have to wonder if there's not something else going on here.

Maybe Apple decided that Metal is going to be an exclusive GPU Compute API on macOS going forward, and won't allow Nvidia to release CUDA support?

And then Nvidia budged under the pressure and is now hiring Metal engineers?

Idk, something is fishy.

I have to wonder if there's not something else going on here.

Maybe Apple decided that Metal is going to be an exclusive GPU Compute API on macOS going forward, and won't allow Nvidia to release CUDA support?

And then Nvidia budged under the pressure and is now hiring Metal engineers?

Idk, something is fishy.
You need to have your hardware profile filled out as per rules (the ones you agreed to when signing up here)

I just saw these job listings from Nvidia (see attachment).

It seems they want to develop Metal drivers and haven’t given up on us, but the bad news is that the drivers shouldn’t arrive anytime soon since they are still trying to hire engineers with Metal experience.

Sorry to burst your bubble. We know about that posting for a long time.

Check the date. Also realistic you don't wait until now to start hiring Metal devs.

Also we're already on Metal 2.

so... the time has come... gonna sell my 1070 for a vega56...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back