Contribute
Register

Nvidia Drivers for Mojave 10.14 Not Available, no WorkAround works well

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Apple has no responsibility to release drivers for products they never sold"

I'm confused. Are you implying that I or others are saying Apple needs to make drivers that are compatible? I thought they are talking about signing drivers not making them. By signing them it allows you to use the Nvidia drivers that Nvidia creates without disabling SIP, correct? I'm not sure why you're bringing up obligations. Although I'm unfamiliar with the driver signing process so it's quite possible I'm missing something.

Of course Nvidia might want to begin to play ball with Apple. Isn't that obvious? Why wouldn't they want to work with Apple and please Apple so they can business done in the future. To think otherwise is just silly.

No one said it is an admission of guilt. It's strange that they are silent though. This is a company that was quick to blame its users for holding their phone incorrectly.

For what it's worth I think there's a possibility that Nvidia has or had drivers that Apple declined to sign. Apple probably used quality as a reason because the old drivers were always just a disaster waiting to happen. They might have told them to go back to scratch or work with them before they sign them. Which could give credence to what some of those "Nvidia people" have said.

Of course, all of these people could have been misinformed but they are being believed and Apple is silent.

So on one hand Nvidia didn't bother looking at Mojave development betas and got caught with their pants down and has their employees incorrectly blaming Apple for not signing their imaginary drivers and Apple is just willing to sit by until Mr. Dan. And on the other is, Nvidia has drivers of a unknown quality that Apple has not signed and therefore requires SIP to be disabled which they don't want to have to be done.

Or the truth is somewhere in between.

Honestly I don't really care. I don't hold these companies to be silicon gods. Its just in my experience that the truth is hardly black and white like many wish to believe.

Did you read the post I linked to? The signing thing is all BS.

Nvidia has released drivers for High Sierra 10.13.6, they are able to sign Mojave drivers if they had any.

Apple doesn't do the signing. Nvidia does. As long as Nvidia has a Developer ID, which they obviously do because they sign the High Sierra drivers, they can sign Mojave drivers. Info.

Jensen Huang hasn't said anything on the topic. If silence = guilt, then Nvidia is guilty.

Last edited:
After reading several mentioned threads I also strongly believe that Nvidia never had the intention to adapt Metal.
If so, they would at least now clearly communicate what's going on -> they don't.

But there's another view: Why should they, when there's no new Mac in sight, where it could be used?
If the next OS will no longer support MacPro 5.1 (could be possible) it would be all for garbage again.

Since 10.13.6 runs flawlessly with the 1080TI, I see no reason to cry. This is my system for the next 4-5 years.
It's powerful and stable. What else is more important? Any Mojave gimmick I miss? No.

Yeah I mean, if you use apple's stuff, like Xcode, you can't really fall back two OS versions. If you can tho, cool.

Yeah I mean, if you use apple's stuff, like Xcode, you can't really fall back two OS versions. If you can tho, cool.
Staying on an older version of macOS for more than three years will cause you to miss out on important security updates as well. That's another important consideration.

Third major update for Mojave arrived and there still is not driver for NVIDIA cards.
It was the last time that I bought NVIDIA products.

There's no real proof that Apple is blocking anything either.

Why do you take what other people say as fact and believe this to be made up?

You can read the guy's original post here. It's post #891. I find it more credible than anything else that's been stated on that thread.
Why do you make the assumption that I take what other people say as fact?
My opinion is my own. I was already aware of the developer thread, and a reply from a low lovel Apple employee doesn't make it as a proof.

Did you read the post I linked to? The signing thing is all BS.

Nvidia has released drivers for High Sierra 10.13.6, they are able to sign Mojave drivers if they had any.

Apple doesn't do the signing. Nvidia does. As long as Nvidia has a Developer ID, which they obviously do because they sign the High Sierra drivers, they can sign Mojave drivers. Info.
Not totally true.

If the driver is a kext, it requires a kext signing. Which is a different thing since Apple can revoke developers their ability to sign kext, or pospone it.

One exemple of developers having trouble with Apple kext signing:
https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/75620

Why do you make the assumption that I take what other people say as fact?
My opinion is my own. I was already aware of the developer thread, and a reply from a low lovel Apple employee doesn't make it as a proof.

Not totally true.

If the driver is a kext, it requires a kext signing. Which is a different thing since Apple can revoke developers their ability to sign kext, or pospone it.

One exemple of developers having trouble with Apple kext signing:
https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/75620

So you are saying replies from low level Nvidia employees have more weight than the reply from a low level Apple employee?

If Nvidia is able to sign drivers for High Sierra 10.13.6, then they obviously already have the ability to sign kexts.

@coffeeshop
I've not been in the scene that long, but this is the first time web drivers for nvidia have such an issue. Ppl seem confused about it, not sure who's to blame.

Is this normal or this is the first time it takes such a long time ?
I consider buying an AMD gpu so this is why I ask,

The blame goes to both Nvidia and Apple. They're not cooperating on getting this resolved. Nvidia had one year to get the Metal compliant driver ready for Mojave so I would assume that Apple didn't give Nvidia the necessary tools to develop the driver or Nvidia won't develop the driver for Mojave due to low market demands for it. I'm saying Apple and Nvidia have long history of animosity against each other.

You should consider buying AMD since it's natively supported and no need to wait for Nvidia drivers to be released after macOS minor and major updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back