Contribute
Register

Nvidia Drivers for Mojave 10.14 Not Available, no WorkAround works well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys

I'm tired of waiting for Nvidia drivers so thought of this as a (temporary?) solution:

- get the cheapest possible AMD card (HD 6450 or R5 230) and put it next to my GTX 970;
- on Windows 10 I can use Nvidia for gaming, and
- on hackintosh Mojave i would use the AMD

Would this work? I'm not sure if 2 different cards can be present at the same time on the motherboard and choose one as primary accordingly.
My display has 2 ports obviously

Hi guys

I'm tired of waiting for nvidia web drivers so thought of this as a (temporary?) solution:

- get the cheapest possible amd card (hd 6450 or r5 230) and put it next to my gtx 970
- on windows 10 i can use nvidia for gaming
- on hackintosh mojave i would use the amd

would this work? i'm not sure if 2 different cards can be present at the same time on the motherboard and choose one as primary accordingly
my display has 2 ports obviously

Can't say about separate card but for the same purposes I use Intel HD Graphics and GTX 970. Each of them connected in the same time to one monitor and there are no any issues for me.

Probably because you offer zero actual proof of your claims.

I'll be curious to to learn if this 10.14.2 fixes the glitch issues with native GTX cards. I doubt it.

I’m very curious how did you assume that these two cards are “very simelar”. Having same looking numbers doesn’t make them anyhow similar to each other
So you have done research that doubts me? And if so, please post? Thats why the windows drivers for both cards are so close to each other. so again, Did you ever look at the windows drivers for those cards? did you ever do any research? I have, and in windows they appear to be very similar and the fact that Im using a mac now doesn't change the hardware. The only real difference is gpu speed, aka the differences between a core 2 e6600 and core 2 e8400 are considerably greater than the differences between those cards. So please do more research before just shot-gunning off negativity. Thank you.

As far I understand there is NO WORKAROUND for Mojave if You want use NVIDIA graphics. The only workaround is to replace NVIDIA board with AMD Vega 64 etc. The rest of this thread is offtopic.

As far I understand there is NO WORKAROUND for Mojave if You want use NVIDIA graphics. The only workaround is to replace NVIDIA board with AMD Vega 64 etc. The rest of this thread is offtopic.

Sadly there are some people like me for whom switching to AMD is not a vaild workaround which then means the whole thread is offtopic because there is no workaround for everyone.

Why I can't use AMD?

I am using DAZ Studio which relies on NVIDIA Iray ray-tracing SDK which only works with NVIDIA CUDA. Iray is by now pretty much 3D content creation industry standard for rendering applications as there are plugins for 3DS Max, Maya, Rhino, etc. Iray will for a while also be the only way to utilize RT hardware in RTX 20x0 cards for ray-tracing acceleration simply because the other way to do it is to use DirectX 12, limit your product to Windows 10 1809 or higher, and write your own ray-tracing engine which not many companies have resources or wish to do.

Second reason is CUDA itself, it works extremely well for AI/ML applications (tensorflow, etc) and any other high-performance computing stuff you may need. NVIDIA has made it extremely easy to get started with CUDA and they have great developer support and tools.

AMD may as well have the best hardware (which they don't -- it uses more power and runs much hotter while being slower), but they have always lacked when it comes to proper software support.

Apple needs to pull their head out of their proverbial backside and properly support NVIDIA hardware or their platform will start losing developers. Platform without developers is as good as dead.

Apple needs to pull their head out of their proverbial backside and properly support NVIDIA hardware or their platform will start losing developers. Platform without developers is as good as dead.

One thing that Apple likes best is proprietorship and they don't like to share anything with anyone and that includes nVidia and AMD. They are pretty much handcuffed in regards to Apple's source codes, libraries, licensing terms and what they can do until Apple gives them the 'OK' to release the drivers. Right now Apple is mainly concerned in supporting their OWN hardwares.

Only thing we can do is email complaints to Apple. We might be a rogue hackintosh group but we support buying Apple products and softwares from App Store, iTune, etc. I have MacBook Pro 2013 with nVidia chipset and it works with Mojave very well.

If you want to use CUDA then it is best you stay with High Sierra for now.

Last edited:
Older Geforce chips dosen't need web driver, but you need to look if there are Metal 2 ready... You have some luck, a lot of Nvidia GPU dosen't work with Mojave, because if they're too old they don't support Metal 2 API.

Web drivers are needed since you are using a Kepler card (8XX series, some works without...) to Pascal and Turin GPU (GTX10XX; RTX20XX).

If you are using a newer GPU like me (GTX1060) you are stuck without the graphics acceleration...

i plan to buy a RX580 8gb (they are really cheap right now) because AMD chips are natively working in macOS since Sierra (No drivers needed).

(PS: Sorry for my ugly English but i'm french and it's not very easy to me to write ine english)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back