Contribute
Register

Nvidia Drivers for Mojave 10.14 Not Available, no WorkAround works well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. I'm surprised the 9800 GT still works. I think the 9800 GT was released a decade ago.

Wow. I'm surprised the 9800 GT still works. I think the 9800 GT was released a decade ago.
It turns out that the 9800 works in Mojave without third-party video drivers. This is true if I run Mojave with the old Chameleon downloader that I used with cats. With Clover, I cannot initialize this video card.

Therefore, it is possible that some other video cards may behave in a similar way with the old bootloader.

It is also surprising that the old Chameleon works with the Mojave. Previously, with each new version of macOS you had to update Chameleon. Perhaps these were obstacles from Apple, and now they don’t care about this bootloader.:mrgreen:

Last edited:
I'm considering removing/disabling my nvidia card so that I can update to Mojave, and just using the onboard.

Would it be enough to unplug the power from the video card and disable the nv argument in clover? Need to uninstall the webdriver, too (do that after rebooting or before)?

Note I'd plan to remove/disable the nvidia card first in high sierra and then install mojave after that.

I'm considering removing/disabling my nvidia card so that I can update to Mojave, and just using the onboard.

Would it be enough to unplug the power from the video card and disable the nv argument in clover? Need to uninstall the webdriver, too (do that after rebooting or before)?

Note I'd plan to remove/disable the nvidia card first in high sierra and then install mojave after that.

Onboard card is useless for me. By using Metal render engine on Hack, I'm getting by GeekBench 106491 performance points for my NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4 GB graphics, but onboard Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 gives only 16797. I guess you see the difference here!. For me is better to stay on High Sierra instead of losing performance of graphics for Mojave.

Reactions: dez
Yes all RX 470-580 models work now. For best results use High Sierra or Mojave. Sierra works but may need a few Kexts or other settings.
The RX 580 is just a refresh of the 480 with higher clock speeds. It has the same device ID.

I picked up an RX570 for $170 for my Z370-G Gaming wifi ac and it works great.
I also have a Z370M-itx/ac which has a single slot, (low profile) that needs its GT1030 video board replaced. What do you think about VisionTek Radeon 7750 SFF 1GB GDDR5? I don't care about speed. I just want to be done with Nvidia.
Thanks in advance

After a long wait, I bought a Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5 PULSE, it was just install, very good, no more kexs and boot flag, is natively support, works perfectly with adobe premier and fafter effects, does not have cuda but has the same performance, I think even better, finally solved the problem of nvida drivers :headbang:

After a long wait, I bought a Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5 PULSE, it was just install, very good, no more kexs and boot flag, is natively support, works perfectly with adobe premier and fafter effects, does not have cuda but has the same performance, I think even better, finally solved the problem of nvida drivers :headbang:

I suppose NVIDIA is going to lose some money here if they aren't able to provide new web drivers soon enough. I have upgraded Mac mini to Mojave, but didn't notice anything too exiting to switch immediately. Probably I haven't done deep digging too.

Building custom macOS based comp is huge market actually. 5.5K€ for Apple's Pro products is too much for many people. Building hacks is still a grey area, but until you not sell these comps as everyday's business, you should be fine on most countries. But you can save a huge by building your own macOS comp. And it's fun too! :D

Spoiler Alert!

Nvidia do not make money from supporting Apple - they really don't make much money from Windows gamers. The real money is made in the Data Centre, Science and AI applications. This is where AMD is moving to compete with Nvidia and it is why Intel is developing graphics processor solutions.

Even Apple is keen to get further in to AI through Smart vehicle technology, which is a tough but lucrative marketplace. If you are not buying top end Nvidia cards by the truck load, then you just are a minnow swimming in the ocean.

Spoiler Alert!

Nvidia do not make money from supporting Apple - they really don't make much money from Windows gamers. The real money is made in the Data Centre, Science and AI applications. This is where AMD is moving to compete with Nvidia and it is why Intel is developing graphics processor solutions.

Even Apple is keen to get further in to AI through Smart vehicle technology, which is a tough but lucrative marketplace. If you are not buying top end Nvidia cards by the truck load, then you just are a minnow swimming in the ocean.

Thank you for very interesting opinion. To be honest, devil is in details.

I guess it's quite interesting reading - NVIDIA Announces Financial Results for First Quarter Fiscal 2019. Which reveals that the biggest revenue was made from gaming, $1.72 billions, not data centre etc. The truth is that datacenter revenue grew 71 percent from a year earlier, from where the buzz about that the real money is made in the Data Centre, Science and AI applications.

Professional visualisation is smaller market, where revenue grew 22 percent from a year earlier to $251 million. It's still huge market.

Hackintosh users fall into gaming and professional visualisation category. Mostly are used gaming products for hackintoshes. I'm using gaming graphics, but actually for professional visualisation on micro business market.

Truth is that data centre is a growing market, but still cannot beat the gaming.

It depends at point of view, me, as single person, yes I'm a minnow swimming in the ocean. But if we summarise entire hackintoshers community, then it's a lot bigger fish. And we fall into gaming category mostly, because of products which we buy. So from perspective of singular person, I agree with you, but on bigger scale, this fish isn't so tiny at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back